• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing J locks. . .

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    <span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">. . .can suck it.</span></span>
    DSC_0031-1.jpg

DSC_0030-1.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">
    That is all.</span>

Re: J locks. . .

That's beautiful as all of your work is.

Wouldn't it be easier or cheaper to buy or build a new one without the wart hole?

This takes about 10 minutes to do.

J Lock is a 1/4" hole (nominal) I just buzzed a piece of naval brass a couple .001" 's oversize and pounded it in there. Stuck a gauge pin in the backside so I wouldn't go too deep.

Then peened the brass to mush it flat/flush with the edges. From here you just get out your files and rough it in, then spin polish in the lathe with some 220.

Took me longer to figure out how to pull the damn lock out (grind X acto blade and it's a snap) than it did to make the plug.

Now it looks like a normal gun again.
    smile.gif

Nice! I just picked up a donor action with a J-lock; might have to try this fix.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">. . .can suck it.</span></span>
    </div></div>

So how do you really feel? Nice job by the way.

Surprising with all those takeoff barrels you had that you dont have hundreds of regular bolt shrouds laying around from builds using aftermarket ones.

Forgive me for the stupid questions..

What is a J Lock on the shroud for?
    Do all 700 actions have them? they look new to me.
    Is there a variance in the shroud length for 700's ?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seventy 1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Forgive me for the stupid questions..

What is a J Lock on the shroud for?<span style="color: #CC0000">It is a lawyer safety that locks the firing pin</span>
    Do all 700 actions have them? <span style="color: #CC0000">No</span> they look new to me.
    Is there a variance in the shroud length for 700's ? <span style="color: #CC0000">Yes, the j-lock shroud is slightly longer.</span>

Thanks </div></div>

looks nice but for what ptg charges for a complete firing pin assembly with either an anodized aluminum or stainless shroud, i know which way i'd go if i needed to eliminate a j-lock.

What did you do about the kinky spring? That's really the devil in the design, is it not?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 20pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">. . .can suck it.</span></span></div></div>

haha. AMEN!

I hate those things too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What did you do about the kinky spring? That's really the devil in the design, is it not? </div></div>

I have my own stash of springs. I have them made by a friend who works for a valve spring company. High chromium/silicon wire stuff. Nice and snappy.

Don't forget J lock humor! Your pocket knife will lock the gun and the green key is the only thing that will unlock it. Very funny in a duck blind!

I couldn't Agree more! The one thing I friggin' hate on my rifle. I'm fixin' to snag the whole firing pin from my sons PSS and swap it out. (doesn't have a J-lock) He's off at college he wouldn't know for awhile. LOL!

Rifle in a duck blind?

Somehow I kinda like the sound of that!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diablo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rifle in a duck blind?

Somehow I kinda like the sound of that!!! </div></div>

They put them on shotguns too.