• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jackets - I Need One!

Bacarrat

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Need some suggestions on some jackets. I don't want something too heavy as it almost never get's too cold here in Houston. Winter temps are going to hover around 35-50 degrees. So I was thinking a softshell should do the job. I already have a nice leather jacket, but it does get too hot at times so I only wear it on occasions. I do have a couple of thin windbreakers but they don't do that well holding in the heat. Been looking at some Arc'teryx, TAD and The North Face jackets. I won't mind spending that kind of money, if it is worth it.

Re: Jackets - I Need One!

Each of the three brands you mention makes high quality soft shell jackets that should suit your needs perfectly. It will come down to looking at each one and finding the features you like.

Heard good things on the Condor jacket, for the money. Haven't gotten to play with any of them.

I have had a Condor jacket for a couple years now and I love it.

I saw a nice Arc'teryx in REI ( Houston) yesterday for around 170 that should be perfect.

I got a Condor earier this fall and I have been impressed especialy for the price. I stayed dry and warm in a heavy rain in October. Lately it has been around the single digits to below zero and I have needed a fleece under it. So it may be just right for what you need.

Under Armor has one hell of a softshell that is sweet. Its been below freezing up here and it has kept me plenty warm.

Just got a Condor myself (hoodie softshell) and am looking forward to trying it out this winter. Hopefully I make it to Gunsite next weekend, I think its gonna be cold (and wet) up there-will be a good trial run for the jacket.

GMS Tactical has them in stock by the way. Good shop, and LE sniper owned and operated (well, his wife runs things when he's on duty).

+1 on the Condor. I love mine. Yeah, it's not made in the USA but neither are Accuracy Internationals.

I picked up a Red Ledge from Sportsman's Warehouse, $39 I think. While it is not Schoeller Dynamic in performance, does OK. Lets in more wind than high end soft shell but does OK in a drizzle, have no idea how it will perform in real inclement weather. The fleece backing adds some warmth but does not freely slide on under layers so it binds at times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edgewater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on the Condor. I love mine. Yeah, it's not made in the USA but neither are <span style="text-decoration: line-through">Accuracy Internationals</span>. Tad Gear
    wink.gif
    </div></div>

Fixed for ya...hehe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the TAD Gear soft shells were made in the US. </div></div>

CIMG0035.jpg

At one point LW
    wink.gif

Makes you really think that if the TAD gear and Condorare same thing or not, just rebadged? The TAD Gear Stealth Hoodie was one of the ones I was looking at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tommy5.56</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the TAD Gear soft shells were made in the US. </div></div>

CIMG0035.jpg

At one point LW
    wink.gif
    </div></div>
    well thats as close as ill ever get to one till someone throws a used one up on The Hide.

That's why I just bought a Condor. I'm not paying twice as much for a used one that is ChiCom anyway....

At least folks like Benchmade <span style="text-decoration: line-through">have</span> had* the balls to say, "hey our RedBox line is made in china, but we handle QC tightly and pass the savings on to you", rather than "enjoy your $300 jacket that cost us $30 to make and import".

*damn, just saw that BM is discontinuing the RedBox line.......

Most of Tad's stuff is made in the USA. Just the uber taped seams I hear are over seas. All of my jackets from them are made here.

Arcteryx Beta AR. I've had one for five years now. I'm still impressed by it. I wear it year round and it has never failed me. Plus, life time warrenty.

Many mention price. You will quickly forget the price. I don't regret a penny I spent.

I bought a Bass Pro Shops Softshell, it's light wieght, semi tacticool, warm enough with just a sweatshirt underneath in the 30s, and best of all cost is 40 bucks

I second the Mtn Hardwear jackets. Arcteryx is nice as well, they have Mil/LE pricing if you go that route.

Im extremely pleased with my TAD ranger. With a sweat shirt underneath Im pretty comfortable in 30 degree weather. If I need some waterproofing then Ill throw a Arcteryx gore on top of it.

+1 on the TAD Ranger. Add one of their hardshells and that should cover a lot of options. I use mine here in the UK from -5C up to +30C, snow, sun and rain.

Not cheap but great kit.

+1 for TAD gear, and North Face. I have jackets by both and would recommend both.

I have nothing but good things to say about North Face. I have abused their jackets for years and they continue to hold up and perform.

tad ranger hoodie is the best,love mine and it IS MADE IN THE USA.

carharts were on sale at bass pro last week $40... and I wear one of our hoodies under if it gets really cold ...

I'll add to my post about the Beta AR. 'Year round' starts with pulling it on for rain in the summer when it is already +30 (insane humidity...). The jacket breathes great though, especially if the pit zips are open. I've also had it on top of Mount Washington (and many other mountains) in the dead of winter in the dead of a storm with only a fleece and tshirt underneath. I've always been perfectly comfortable.

There are lots of good jackets out there. It really comes down to your choice in colours, styles, materials, and features. I will say: I bought my Gore Tex hardshell (the Beta) after owning a few softshells. There is no way I would go back to a softshell. I find a quality, breathable hardshell, the most flexible route. It is light and easily packable 'weather armour' for the summer, and with a fleece (or wool shirt or anything insulating) equally satisfying armour for anything winter can throw at you.

Softshells can easily be too warm for the summer, and given enough environmental barrage will always fail- soak through, get clammy. This has been my experience anyway.

Hardshell all the way.

I love my 5.11 Aggressor in coyote. It's warm and versatile. Lots of pockets, zippers for access to pistols and ammo.
    Waterproof

We are working a school at the moment and the temps are around 40 in the sun, 30's in the shade and wind. I have a TAD Stealth and love it. It had kept me warm for the last few years. A Co-worker just bought a Condor off another guy because of the temps. I think it is a decent beater/range jacket, but you can see big differences in the quality. Our other guy wore his Arc-teryx. Another guy had Mountain Hardware and the other Blackhawk and another had a 5.11. I feel like we were all a models from a Tactical Dork catalog, and I like features from each. They all seem to get the job done.

I have a few TAD Gear Ranger hoodies and Recon hoodies. Absolutely love them. I always have one one, everywhere I go. The Recon hoodie keeps we warm on cool summer nights, all the way down to about 25 degrees. Anything below 25 degrees and I use my Ranger hoodies. Ive abused these jackets and they have taken it very well. They have seen many multi day trips through the adirondacks and laurel highlands.

I went with a TAD Ranger hoodie and TAD Spectre hardshell (both are this year's model) and I love the combo so far.

I have a TAD Gear soft shell and it gets a lot of wear. The TAD has a well thought out design. But the quality is nowhere near that of the Arcteryx LEAF pieces I have. Take a look at the Arcteryx LEAF Bravo jacket. Its in a class of its own. It's holds in heat very well. Looks clean and professional (Velcro on the sleeves scream airsoft and I hate taking a razor blade to a brand new high dollar jacket). The Bravo jacket is nearly indestructible. I've slid across gravel, scuffed T-walls, eaten hesco barriers, and caught it on sharp metal sticking out of walls. Several time I thought Damn this thing is toast, and I'd shake off the dust and look for the tear and there would be none to be found. I'd get another one in a second, but I don't think I'll ever need to.

http://leaf.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Bravo-Jacket

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonely_Wolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

There are lots of good jackets out there. It really comes down to your choice in colours, styles, materials, and features. I will say: I bought my Gore Tex hardshell (the Beta) after owning a few softshells. There is no way I would go back to a softshell. I find a quality, breathable hardshell, the most flexible route. It is light and easily packable 'weather armour' for the summer, and with a fleece (or wool shirt or anything insulating) equally satisfying armour for anything winter can throw at you.

Softshells can easily be too warm for the summer, and given enough environmental barrage will always fail- soak through, get clammy. This has been my experience anyway.

Hardshell all the way. </div></div>

That is fascinating. I find just the opposite. I have no use or desire for a hardshell unless standing in the rain fishing. I have religiously worn softshells in Alaska, year round for 15 years and have never found anything with better performance. I have never experienced a truly breathable hardshell fabric, some garments designs were better at chimney effect but never kept up with body micro-climate management like a softshell. I have witnessed many to include myself get core chill with flashoff from wearing GoreTex. Not once did I ever experience both client or me personal flashoff wearing a softshell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PatrickChewing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bacarrat,

Look what I just found in my inbox!

http://www.wildthingsgear.com/wt-tactical/specials/multicam-soft-shell.html

Its multicam so it may not be what you are looking for but Wild Things makes wonderful stuff and its 20% off!

pc </div></div>

I have used WT since the mid 80s and it has no equal in design and manufacturing but find their patterns on softshells to run small.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I have witnessed many to include myself get core chill with flashoff from wearing GoreTex. Not once did I ever experience both client or me personal flashoff wearing a softshell. </div></div>

45.308, What is 'flash off'? I have never heard this term used before.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I find just the opposite. I have no use or desire for a hardshell unless standing in the rain fishing. </div></div>

I am not sure what you do in Alaska. You mention 'clients' in your post, add in your signature pic- You are a guide? Either way, it is probable that your needs, work output, and environmental conditions are different than mine.

I'm a teacher by day and an outdoorsman as much of the rest of the time as I can find. Hiking, snowshoeing and camping are my staples. The mountains I frequent are four thousand footers- New York, Vermont, and Maine. I need a jacket for 'standing around in the rain'
    smile.gif

I will also add that there are different hardshells. I have tried Arc'Teryx's SV jackets and in my opinion they are to heavy for my needs. I can also imagine these leading to problems if one isn't careful about monitoring their body temp alongside environmental conditions. My AR I find to be a great 'all round' jacket- as named. I've had three softshells in my life. Two of them would soak through when faced with long barrages of severe weather. All three were too hot for summer use because of fleece lining. They also did not pack down as small as my AR. My Arc'Teryx has been great for windy peaks, endless downpours, and has survived (to my surprise) many a jagged rock. I would not trade it for anything and will probably be buried in it.

Out of curiosity what softshell are you using?

Flashoff is when GoreTex and its kind allow body vapor to release through its fabric in a rush, this will chill the core quickly. GoreTex works as do all fabrics on pressure difference between the inner climate (body) and outer climate (weather). The body must create enough pressure to push body vapor through the fabric. The more open weave the fabric is the less pressure it takes to push vapor through. The colder and drier the outside weather is the better the hot moist air around the body inside a shell will push through the fabric. If the outside air matches (temperature and humidity) the inside of a jacket or is close, GoreTex stops working. Softshells take less pressure to pass body vapor and work a lot better in warmer and higher humidity outside temps and also work just fine in cold dry temps.

If you are moving hard no matter the outside temp and humidity, only so much vapor can pass through GoreTex due to its closed weave / PTFE barrier that is, on any WP breathable fabric. Stop moving and then all of a sudden the pressure difference becomes good and GoreTex will flashoff body vapor and heat rather quickly chilling the core. And it can take a load of calories and muscles movement to heat the core back up. I have seen this cause early stages of hypothermia.

Open weave fleece will allow the greatest amount of vapor transfer but will also allow wind and snow/rain in.

Softshells with their weave allow superb vapor transfer but also will keep wind and moisture out. If the body is working hard, the vapor transfer through softshells will help keep rain / snow from entering the fabric. Of course, standing in a rain will allow rain to enter.

Most softshells in today's market do have a fleece backing and add extra weight and warmth and also cause friction on under layers.

I use Schoeller Dynamic softshell and have some one-offs from Black Diamond. I have found nothing that comes close to Dynamics performance.

The Scottish figured this all out decades ago. They wore softshells long before even GoreTex came to the outdoor market headlined by Marmot Mountain Works from the medical world.

Yes I owned my own personal guide service and was an instructor for another. At my high point in the 90s, I was spending 4 days a week just about every week in the backcountry with 10-14 day trips. I also help run an outdoor shop, I was not the owner. I was afforded the opportunity to test plenty gear and most of it free. Only Arctyex did I have to give back.

That's a funny coincidence. The one softshell I was happy with was Schoeller technology. It performed very well- even in downpours.

Thanks for explaining flashout. Learn something new everyday! I have never experienced that yet and hope I don't. Maybe I'm just good at layering (!). Seriously though, I could see that being extremely dangerous in certain conditions. Especially with beginners/amateurs who might not be familiar with their equipment or how their body reacts to different environments/stimuli.