• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jackets - I Need One!

Re: Jackets - I Need One!

$200 for a jacket?
eek.gif

I like the looks of that Condor and it has plenty of storage it looks like, plus the hood - very nice that it can be tucked away if you aren't using it. Glad I found this thread - think I'll get a Condor on the way.

Thanks guys.

I have a condor and have been wearing it the last couple weeks. I think it's a hell of a deal for $80, and everyone seems to love it. There are some loose threads, and the zippers are not the greatest but I haven't had any problems so far.

Being a broke student I couldn't justify the higher premium that TAD or Arctery'x commands. After I wear this jacket out (which will hopefully be when I'm in the workforce fulltime) I will probably buy TAD, Arctery'x or similiar. But for right now I am really happy with my Condor soft shell jacket.

I wear alot of carharrts and similar, but one of these days I am going to buy a Rivers West jacket. I have some of their other stuff and it rocks. That H2P stuff they use is no slouch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: banks74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wear alot of carharrts and similar, but one of these days I am going to buy a Rivers West jacket. I have some of their other stuff and it rocks. That H2P stuff they use is no slouch. </div></div>

I have had two RW jackets and while they serve their purpose of keeping you dry, they in no way shape or form breath well. If you are working hard you sweat VERY easily in this jacket. The only time I wear my RW is when I have multiple layers on underneath that wick away moisture very well and keep me warm even when damp. If I'm working hard I'll just wear my heavy wool sweater on the outside and it allows my body to breath and get rid of that body vapor and keeps me warm. This is usually with a fleece pullover, thin wool shirt, and polypropelene (sp?) shirt underneath. If its gonna be wet or I'll be sitting for awhile I'll throw the RW on, but 90% of my time from October to Dec I never wear it outdoors, but that other 10% it does come in handy.

Mike

Hope you dont mind me jumping in with you instead of starting a new Post; I've been looking for a winter jacket also wanting to spend $125.00 Does anyone use a Parka style jacket like the (woolrich elite parka). The Parka style looks like it would be a little warmer and dryer some have a removable liners nice for warmer days. I like the condor for the price, but those velcro patches on the shoulders makes you look like a under cover cop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMOK!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cloudveil (Jackson Hole, MT)</div></div>

You do know that Jackson is not in Montana, right? And it is full of dirty hippies. bleh.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes I owned my own personal guide service and was an instructor for another. At my high point in the 90s, I was spending 4 days a week just about every week in the backcountry with 10-14 day trips. I also help run an outdoor shop, I was not the owner. I was afforded the opportunity to test plenty gear and most of it free. Only Arctyex did I have to give back. </div></div>

Which Arcteryx products were you using, and what problems did you encounter with them?

I don't think he had any problems. Arc'Teryx wouldn't allow testers to keep the trial gear, unlike some other companies. I believe that is what he meant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brett B</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes I owned my own personal guide service and was an instructor for another. At my high point in the 90s, I was spending 4 days a week just about every week in the backcountry with 10-14 day trips. I also help run an outdoor shop, I was not the owner. I was afforded the opportunity to test plenty gear and most of it free. Only Arctyex did I have to give back. </div></div>

Which Arcteryx products were you using, and what problems did you encounter with them?
</div></div>

Gamma mostly and Alpha, Fission. Most companies have demo kits (duffle bag everything is size large) that get sent around to various testers for a time period. I tested it for a given time period, then had to send it back or on to the next tester. Wrote my honest review and sent that to my rep, either field rep or inside rep. Test reviews are not public knowledge. All companies want honest feedback, if something sucks they want to know, if it rocks your world, they want to know that too. This is different than a paid to play endorsement. I was never a sponsored user with my name and pictures all over advertising even though Arc and
Gore Technologies gave me an all expense paid 4 day trip to test gear and go through training, they picked someone from each region. My rep submitted my name and I got chosen. Well almost, my name and such was used for ads and hang tags for Albany = Primaloft back mid 90s.

Other companies comp (free) for testing, get a phone call from inside rep, what size are you, sending you this to test and you get to keep it. One problem with this is, I was not suppose to sell it and many testers would use it and of course most of us were hard strapped for coin and then would sell it to Joe Public that would allow this not on the market yet to be released to the public. It was quite cutthroat behind the scenes but now one parent company owns many smaller name brands.

Its all to do with how hot and wet the outside air is. In the Alps its dry and cold and I've never needed a hardshell; untra windproof but not waterproof. In fact the faster the clothing could breath the better. You need to shed body wet from exertion fast. (Have plenty of insulation for when the sun goes down.)

In Scotland where it is wet, stupid wet, driven wet and not cold enough then a hardshel waterproof is the only way to go. Do get the body vapor to at least the inner of the outer shell and away from the body. Wet next to the body chills fast and can kill, no cotton.

I run hot, sweat like a pig, so its always a battle. I love ventile, wool works great if not a bit heavy, fibre pile works better but heavier than fleece. The new softshells are meant to be great but they are cut close to the body to work at their best; call me old fashioned but I don't get on with the restrictive feel. The trick is getting from hot and steamy to snug and dry; easier said than done. Find a layer system that works for you; nothing does it all.

If you are going to have hours of rain, especially horizontal, then have a hardshell and the longer the better. You need to be waterproof from head to toe. No rain just snow then breathable anything really so long as its howling windproof.

Big Johnson seems to be on the same track as me. If its not raining when I start and I'll be back home within a few hours then ventile or even the old wool shooting coat works. If you are working you really don't want a coat on at all unless its really heavy rain; warm mist with a bit of a breeze can be lovely to work in with a wool jumper or fleece.

Check out the Woolrich Elite outer wear
http://woolricheliteseriestactical.com/outerwear.htm

I have an Elite Waterproof Breathable Parka and the Polyester Fleece Jacket and both are excellent. I wear the Parka mostly unless it gets too cold then the jacket goes inside. I used the Parka alone in a 3 gun match where it was pouring rain and it kept me dry and warm the whole day. I couldn't believe it. Very comfortable and fits nice. You can find them for around $120.

Anybody else take advantage of the 20% off TAD ME color offerings? I picked up a Ranger and a Spectre Hardshell.

Just saw this in another thread: www.kitanica.net

That's one expensive jacket but it doesn't look too bad. The inner liner for it isn't too bad. Pants are expensive too - holy crap.

If your going to spend TAD Gear or Arc'teryx money, check out Beyond Clothing. Send them your measurements and they will make you a great jacket. They also make pants. They have a tactical/police line as well which can all be custom made for no additional price. made in the USA!

Beyond Clothing - Tactical

I finally ordered up a Arc'teryx Gamma AR

http://www.norwaysports.com/arcteryx-gamma-ar-softshell-jacket-mens-teak/

One of the only places that have these on sale and couple with that free next day air shipping yesterday, it was a no brainer.

This thing is perfect for me, for the weather we have around here. Rarely does it ever get cold enough to freeze, but does get somewhat cold. It's light, not bulky with unneeded insulation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mk4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone with any experience here with the Woolrich Elite Algerian Field jacket? </div></div>

My brother's got one. It's alright but it fits him really weird and the pockets on it are almost comically huge.

The whole halfzip thing kinda wierd to he doesn't wear it much.

Hard to recommend, but it's a pretty cheap jacket overall so you might want to try one on before buying it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the TAD Gear soft shells were made in the US. </div></div>

TAD still makes things in the US when it's possible. There are numerous reasons they don't. Sometimes it's because it can't be done cost effectively in the US. That is a major concern for a small company like TAD Gear. They aren't dealing in the quantities that Arc'teryx is, so they cost more on a per-unit basis, all else being equal.

The other is that some of the technology does not exist in the US. They were having one of their shells last year made in China because the only US company that did the sealing process for the seams either went out of business or sold the equipment to the foreign company.

Patric Ma (the owner) has stated that the TAD Gear that is being made over seas has to adhere to the same standard of quality and has the same warranty as the domestic products.

Also:

http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Apparel/Jackets/OSNS-Jacket

http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Apparel/Jackets/Explorer-Jacket

http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Apparel/Sweaters-Hoodies/Shag-Master-Hoodie

http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Apparel/Sweaters-Hoodies/Ranger-Hoodie

All made in the USA

Arc'teryx strong here, I use the heck out it and just stocked up for Xmas, the New Year.

Got a Covert Hoodie, plus Rampart pants from the girl, plus though the LEAF, I got the multi-cam shells, the combat jacket is Made in USA, the Sphinx half shell combat shirt and pants are Made in Canada.

I use a couple of their jackets, the Hercules, and I think one is a Gamma. As soon as the Alpha system comes in my size I'll grab those.

Best stuff I have used, love my Asolos and Arc'teryx.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMOK!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cloudveil (Jackson Hole, MT)</div></div>

You do know that Jackson is not in Montana, right? And it is full of dirty hippies. bleh.</div></div>

Brad - LOL. Just read your response. I was thinking of an elk trip I'm planning to Ajax Mtn, MT in Oct'11 when I wrote this post. Yeah, understand that Jackson Hole is located in Wyoming. I rip to JH annually for snowboarding ops with some local dudes. JH is the cat's meow...

Thanks for correcting my geography error.

Hmmm...I don't understand the 1/2 zipper design. That's a killer right there. I read some comments on the Algerian design and they were similar to yours.

Some had exchanged for the Eotac Field Jacket and liked it better. However the chest pockets look to be even bigger than the Woolrich and also bigger than its own waist pockets.
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: praharin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the TAD Gear soft shells were made in the US. </div></div>

TAD still makes things in the US when it's possible. There are numerous reasons they don't. Sometimes it's because it can't be done cost effectively in the US. That is a major concern for a small company like TAD Gear. They aren't dealing in the quantities that Arc'teryx is, so they cost more on a per-unit basis, all else being equal.

The other is that some of the technology does not exist in the US. They were having one of their shells last year made in China because the only US company that did the sealing process for the seams either went out of business or sold the equipment to the foreign company.

Patric Ma (the owner) has stated that the TAD Gear that is being made over seas has to adhere to the same standard of quality and has the same warranty as the domestic products.

Also:

http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Apparel/Jackets/OSNS-Jacket

http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Apparel/Jackets/Explorer-Jacket

http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Apparel/Sweaters-Hoodies/Shag-Master-Hoodie

http://www.tripleaughtdesign.com/Apparel/Sweaters-Hoodies/Ranger-Hoodie

All made in the USA </div></div>
I have 4 Tad Jackets & my brother has 3 & my boss has 6 & all of them has a made in USA tag in them . Pricey but worth every penny, it doesn't help having them 20 mins away either .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMOK!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMOK!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cloudveil (Jackson Hole, MT)</div></div>

You do know that Jackson is not in Montana, right? And it is full of dirty hippies. bleh.</div></div>

Thanks for correcting my geography error. </div></div>

And here I thought he was comparing Cloudveil MT to Jackson Hole WY. Jackson a great place for skiing/boarding but you wouldn't want to live there. Too many rich snobs.

I went with the Condor - it's on the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sdkidaho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I went with the Condor - it's on the way. </div></div>

Did you get the hooded one? You will be happy with it, I really like mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PatrickChewing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bacarrat,

Look what I just found in my inbox!

http://www.wildthingsgear.com/wt-tactical/specials/multicam-soft-shell.html

Its multicam so it may not be what you are looking for but Wild Things makes wonderful stuff and its 20% off!

pc </div></div>

I have used WT since the mid 80s and it has no equal in design and manufacturing but find their patterns on softshells to run small. </div></div>

The WT jackets look like a pretty good deal. Anyone know high how of temperature the soft shell jacket could be worn? Would the high loft or low loft jacket be best at temperatures around 15 *F?

I have to support Under Armor on the soft shell jackets. I have a pullover, half zip jacket from them and I have actually had to shed it in 20 degree weather due to overheating and sweating. So far this winter we have seen 2-15 degrees for a few weeks and I was in a tshirt and this jackets and was more then warm.

And at $129.00 I think you are getting more then what you pay for.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/sports/hunting/pid1209622-Men-s-Skysweeper-Hoody/1209622-915

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sudnit5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you get the hooded one? You will be happy with it, I really like mine. </div></div>

I did - the SUMMIT Soft Shell Jacket in black. Got it for $70.
grin.gif

I wonder if they could combine a soft shell and hard shell together, maybe hard shell on top of the shoulders and hood and soft shell around the core...Arc'Teryx is my favorite also, have abt 5 pieces

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30caluser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder if they could combine a soft shell and hard shell together, maybe hard shell on top of the shoulders and hood and soft shell around the core...Arc'Teryx is my favorite also, have abt 5 pieces </div></div>

If they are really your favorite, you should try to keep up
wink.gif

http://leaf.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Jackets/Gryphon-Halfshell

lol, I amuse myself
laugh.gif

I just recived a condor a few weeks ago and have been wearing it the last two weeks. It's very comfortable and for the price it's a deal. They do sale out quick as the place I ordered from is already out of stock.

You want to stay warm and dry? Rock the bird. Arc'teryx all the way.