• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jailbreak an iPhone

insectguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2009
Chattanooga
I couldn't find a discussion anywhere else, so I thought this was as good a place as any.

Has anyone here jailbroken their iPhone? What were the results, and would you do it again?

Just thinking about it, and trying to see the benefits versus the drawbacks. I have an iPhone 4. Thanks!

Re: Jailbreak an iPhone

Just like everything else. Advatages and disadvantages. I've never done it but have friends that have.

They haven't really ever had and major problems other than when they come out with updates alot of times your jailbreak gets whiped out. You either have to wait for the new jailbreak to come out and learn a new system or font update.

There are some cool features with the jailbreak but I'm conserned when you do have a issue who are you going to turn to.

People will tell you that you just have to restore it to factory and they will never know. Trust me if apple wants to know when thou took your last shit they could figure it out. It may look like its whiped clean and restored to factory but every key stroke has been recorded somewhere.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont even know what that means....</div></div> ditto.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DirtyDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont even know what that means....</div></div> ditto. </div></div>

Who is ditto and what jail did he break out of?

I have an iPhone, and I love most of it. However, there are some things Apple does which irritates even the most mild-mannered, such as putting a Stocks app on the phone which cannot be deleted. I don't want it.

If I jailbreak my iPhone, I can get a ton of non-App store programs for free, and can take control of the phone (the way it should be). So, you basically get the freedom of a Droid with the benefits of an iPhone.

I'm probably going to do it, but was wondering if anyone had any feedback positive or otherwise.

I am not sure I do know that I like apple computers but I hate my iphone and when it dies I will be going back to a HTC.

Well, I can understand that. Regarding computers (and related stuff) I do my best to purchase what I am wanting out of a unit. When those programs (apps?) and whatnot that come on and try to take over, or attempt to 'self-set' as default, I HATE them.

Sorta like buying a car that decides to shift itself into reverse and/or turn Right when IT wants to, not you. Burn the bastards.

Well, I jail broke my iPhone last night, and all I can say is I should have done it earlier. The only drawback is it may void the Apple warranty. Since I've had my phone for two years, there's no warranty anyway. I now have the ability to see my files, erase unwanted apps, configure all my buttons, run as a wifi point free of charge, etc. if Apple updates the iOs, I have to reconfigure the jailbreak, but I'll cross that bridge when it happens.

I absolutely cannot be part of this except the manhunt. LOL.
Psst, JailBreak, pass it on.

I had my old Iphone 3g jailbroken for awhile. My brother did it for me, but it took like 5 or 10 minutes is all. I can't recall what program he used to do it, however. It was nice and I liked some of the free apps better than the same type that was found in the app store. First example I can think of was a flashlight app. Like, apple won't let apps adjust the screen brightness but through the jail broken apps you could set it to be as bright as you wanted regardless of your setting for normal screen lighting. Little things like that were nice. But once a new version of iOS came out the jailbreak went away and I had to wait till someone wrote a jailbrake program for the new OS version. I didn't mess with it again, mainly out of laziness, but I would have if my brother had ever done it again. I'll ask him if his 4 is jailbroken and try to give you some info.

Nope, I went with phones which weren't OEM locked, palm and android are much more customization friendly.