• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Japan and glass availability?

308garand

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2007
Mesquite, TX
I know a lot of manufacturers get the glass for their scopes from Japan. How has the events overseas affected the ability to get glass? A buddy of mine was talking to an online scope store and they told him if he hasn't ordered his scope yet he needs to before they stop production due to glass shortage! I could see where this could be true but I also almost want to call bs. Any body heard anything on this?

Re: Japan and glass availability?

Won't be much effect in my opinion and will more than likely be limited to only specific brands if any at all, but nobody will know for several months. The former recruiter/salesman in me says that dealer is trying to selfishly capitalize on Japan's disaster, but I'm always a bit skeptical about anyone who stands to gain financially from me and they give me a sales pitch. I wouldn't buy a set of BC caps from that guy after a comment like that without the dealer backing it up with actual proof.

I didn't bother stocking up on Tabasco after Katrina either and I was OK.

Any way it goes though, I wish them a speedy return to normality.

I spoke to a company rep yesterday and they already have shipments coming in from Japan. Pretty remarkable if you have seen the coverage but other manfactures could be affected??...

I wonder how many threads on if the japanese earthquake will in some way inconvience our insatiable demand for goods we can get started in here? I believe there are at least 3.

Well I guess it is better than threads on how their death and destruction could be a business opportunity for us.

Just wondering

Dont think the effect would be seen for at least a few months. My reasoning is that all of the shipments are via cargo ship which from manufacturer to dealer takes a month or two. I think most of what is seriously affected is the north and the major ports and manufacturers are located a reasonable distance from the total destruction. But then again if that reactor goes than its a whole different story. At least you won't need batteries for the illuminated reticle.....too soon?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder how many threads on if the japanese earthquake will in some way inconvience our insatiable demand for goods we can get started in here? I believe there are at least 3.

Well I guess it is better than threads on how their death and destruction could be a business opportunity for us.

Just wondering </div></div>

I'm suprised at how many manginas there are roaming around this site.

Seriously, what the fuck is the big deal with people wondering how this will affect product availability in the US? We get a lot more shit than just glass from Japan. We will certainly be affected by this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thedarkside</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> At least you won't need batteries for the illuminated reticle.....too soon? </div></div>

Glow in the dark glass will sell for a premium!