• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters Japanese EBay Kowa

Crews

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 11, 2017
    Hallsville, Tx
    If one was trying to get their hands on a Kowa, there are some attractive prices from Japanese sources on EBay.

Had anyone had any experience going this route (or have warnings based on first hand experience?)

I've wondered about them as well but you won't get any warranty support from KOWA USA if you buy them straight from Japan and would be essentially buying them AS-IS. I'd strongly suggest you contact Scott at Liberty Optics and Doug at Cameraland to get price quotes over the phone before considering buying KOWA.

Second hand Kowa's don't get much support anyways. Limited "Lifetime" for the original owner. If the price is great after shipping and/or Customs, then I would still consider it.

I’ve looked into this and I agree with @Scopeye . If you talk to some of the reputable vendors here on the hide over the phone they will most likely get you within a couple hundred bucks or less difference in the price and it can be at your door the next day - without the worry of customs, lack of warranty support and the possibility of it simply not being exactly what you wanted.

Kowa TSN 500 retails for 399, the ebay japan price looks like it's 300ish? So not a crazy deal. The Kowa Prominar is the expensive one.

If you can find an old 501 kowa with the angled eyepiece in good shape for say 150-250bucks it's a nice basic spotter for range shooting, archery, F class, service rifle etc.

If one was trying to get their hands on a Kowa, there are some attractive prices from Japanese sources on EBay.

Had anyone had any experience going this route (or have warnings based on first hand experience?)
    What scope are you looking to buy? They are usually on sale at Cameraland or Liberty optics around Black Friday time.

Probably something like a 602. Perhaps a 664. Will lust after a 554.

I like digiscoping from the deer stand quite a bit. First setup was with an older 85mm Zeiss. Feel like there’s no need to tote the Hubble telescope around.

any reason in particular you chose to buy the eyepiece in the States? Or is that just the way it worked out?

Just a couple opinions based upon my experience.

Regarding warranty support on an unknown origin Kowa:
    I own a second hand TN2 that I was given by an old family friend before he passed. It’s probably 40 years old by now at least. It’s a damn good scope and stands up to those made today. I contacted warranty support just looking for who I could send it to to get a once over and cleaning. For $80, including shipping, I sent it to California and received it back in two weeks all cleaned and with a good bill of health. Yes, this was about ten years ago, so that’s my perspective.

Both vendors mentioned above, Scott at Liberty Optics and gratefuldoug of Cameraland are solid and should be considered for optics if they carry what you’re looking for.