• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

JB Bore Paste on Barrel Break In...

Kilmore

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2011
Utah
I am certain the barrel break in topic has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum, but I have never heard of this technique as of yet: The manufacturer of my new rifle recommends cleaning the bore after every fired round for 30 rounds. Included in this procedure is clean with Shooter's Choice, dry, then Sweet's 762, dry, then WD-40, dry, 10-12 passes with a patch on a bore jag smeared with JB Bore Cleaning Paste, then WD-40 again, dry. Fire and repeat. Anyone ever used this method before? Sounds to me like a good way to wear out a barrel without having to shoot it. Your expertise will not go un appreciated.

Re: JB Bore Paste on Barrel Break In...

Don't know 'who' your "manufacturer" is but they must have a pretty shitty barrel!!! Why I say that is several prominent barrel makers will void warranty if you use JB in their barrel. That is what the hand lapping process is for and is less abrasive than JB. Never heard of WD-40 being recommended as a bore cleaner either, especially by a manufacturer.

Perhaps cause they think it will make you or them feel better?
smile.gif

Reactions: Thereaper1313

I use the JB paste to polish my barrel every couple hundred rounds or so depending on which gun/caliber. If your manufacturer recommends to break it in that way then I'd just do it that way even though it seems like a pita. Barrel break-in is pretty controversial here, you'll get a different opinion from everybody.

Shoot 200 rounds of choice.. then clean it if you want. Repeat..

This break in is overly aggressive, even as far as break ins go. WD-40 doesn't belong in you gun cleaning or lubing arsenal.

What? No paste wax and pickles?
Seriously, did you piss them off somehow?
Utter sillyness.

What did he do, put on a factory Savage barrel? LOL
Mine shot well, but was a hell of a copper collector.
It sounds like this person didn't put on a hand lapped barrel if he is wanting you to do that sort of break in procedure.
SScott

sounds like snake oil!! just shoot the suckaaaaaaaa. barrel brake in is b-s especially on the hot rod calibers. why spend precious barrel life "breaking it" in? so you have to buy a new barrel sooner.

P1010140.jpg
Bill at EDM Arms is an accomplished LR shooter and world class machinist. I figure he has a method to his madness about the break in. I've served 25 years plus and have never heard of this technique. Yet.

P1010139.jpg
Rifle is a .338 Lapua and weights 22 lbs. Barrel is a Feddersen Inc. Supressor being transfered is a Elite Iron Sierra.

P1010139-1.jpg
The beast breaks down in less than one minute with no tools. Return to zero is outstanding, guaranteed 1 minute at 1000 yards. I shot the .408 Chey-Tac overseas and it was a coffin nail driver. Probably just gonna suck it up and do like the manual recommends. I have also NEVER heard of WD-40 on a weapon. But never is a long time.

I've done break-ins both with and without the benefit of abrasive compounds. I've also had the benefit of occasional access to a borescope to track bore conditions.

While break-ins can accelerate the advent of decreased copper accumulation; beyond a few hundred rounds, I cannot distinguish any significant difference in bore conditions between break-ins of all types and just skipping the process althogether.

For my purposes, I have determined the process is not really worth the extra effort. I also note that the use of abrasives can void some aftermarket premium barrel warrantees. Fact is, they don't need it, and I can't promise they won't do harm to really finely produced barrels.

I seriously doubt the process you describe would contribute greatly to barrel failure, as long as care was taken not to damage the throat through avoidable cleaning rod wear. There could be some validity to the concept of abrasives removing throat tooling marks, but I should expect that normal shooting wear would accomplish the same thing, just slower.

I think it's important that folks recognize that bore failure is not primarily related to internal friction/wear; but is more a product of heat and pressure cycles.

Greg

It'll take you 4 or 5 shitty and boring days at the range to accomplish that break-in regimen.

I say don't do it.

My "preferred" method is to shoot one, use KG12 to check for copper. None? Shoot 5 more and check again. None? You're done. Conversely, if there is copper, clean it out and try again. Continue in short round count intervals until copper isn't showing up quickly.

In the case of a Savage, shoot 5 and clean until you're at a round count of 25 or so and call it done. Savages I've seen pick up copper quite a bit until they've got a bunch (like 500-1000) rounds through them. They still shoot nice though.

Method is out of EDM owners manual. It does seem labor intensive, and burning 30 rounds of $ ammo makes it hurt even worse. I am going to call Feddersen's and see what they have to say. It seems to me that a high end barrel shouldn't need too much break in if it was properly bored and rifled. They use a Sunnen honing process which is excellent for finishing barrels. Very good reading if you want to do the search.

WD-40? There is an additional reason WD-40 should not be near a gun. It is a penetrating oil! That magical spray that frees rusted bolts and hinges by working itself inside will also work itself inside of your cartridges if they are exposed to it long enough. Then you may hear "click" instead of "BANG."

I use Kroil all the time, and it's a penetrating oil. I don't use it on my ammo. But why use JB to 'break-in' a barrel? I wouldn't want it in my chamber/throat.

Wd-40 is good for your lure when lake trout fishing. Keep it away from anything
mechanical you care about. There are much better solvents out there that don't dry and turn into glue over time. JB is ok on a really rough bore. On a good bore it
can do nothing but harm. Polishing a bore that fine increases friction between the
bullet and the bore. It's really easy to see the results of an over polished bore when
shooting lead, the barrels lead much worse.

I use mercury quicksilver power tune as a bore cleaner it's marine grade and designed for cleaning carbon off combustion chambers in boats it's really good stuff and gets carbon out better then anything else I've seen then use sweets for copper you can get powertune from most boat places that stock mercury products

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Cal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use mercury quicksilver power tune as a bore cleaner it's marine grade and designed for cleaning carbon off combustion chambers in boats it's really good stuff and gets carbon out better then anything else I've seen then use sweets for copper you can get powertune from most boat places that stock mercury products </div></div>

I've seen powertune do some amazing things for engines. It sounds like snake oil, but in the right hands, it's incredible.

I agree I was put onto it by a pretty reputable gunsmith never tried it on an engine ( I'm a car guy not a boat guy) but on a rifle I've never seen something remove carbon like it and because it's I white foam it discolors with carbon so it's easy to tell when the carbon is gone

Spoke to Fred Feddersen at S-4 in TN today. Great old guy! His opinion is that the break in is good to go, just check for copper fouling as I work through the process. Only change is to avoid the WD-40 as a cleaner as it can leave a residue that will affect primers if it gets into the action. The rifle included chamber/bore guide that should protect the throat from undue scoring. Beyond that, we swapped war stories for a half an hour and I made a friend. I am sending him a USMC desert uniform for his 85 year old buddy that built .50's for the MARSOC at the start of Enduring Freedom. That was a great story in it's own right. ps: Anybody recognize this famous Marine Lt Col?
P1010054.jpg

Answer: Lt Col G. Bristol, 3rd Marine Recon Okinawa Japan. USMC Cmdr of Camp Rhino Iraq for 2 years, lead the 3 week assault/blood bath on Fallujah, black belt in Judo and chief instructor at the hand to hand school in Camp Pendleton. All around good dude.

Having a borescope will give you an eyeballs-on on your bore condition and whether or not your break-in procedure is required and/or working or not.

JB can help with smoothing and keeping fouling down during break-in -- but you may not need it if the bore was properly honed/polished before and after rifling.

I hope the barrel is better than the advice the maker gave you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kilmore</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am certain the barrel break in topic has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum, but I have never heard of this technique as of yet: The manufacturer of my new rifle recommends cleaning the bore after every fired round for 30 rounds. Included in this procedure is clean with Shooter's Choice, dry, then Sweet's 762, dry, then WD-40, dry, 10-12 passes with a patch on a bore jag smeared with JB Bore Cleaning Paste, then WD-40 again, dry. Fire and repeat. Anyone ever used this method before? Sounds to me like a good way to wear out a barrel without having to shoot it. Your expertise will not go un appreciated. </div></div>

I've ruin perfectly good barrels with JB & Rem Bore Cleaner. Now I thin it down and use very little of it on final fitting of 1911 frames, slides & barrel bushings.

My rule on barrel cleaning - No abrasives!! There isn't anything you can do to better a barrel bore than the factory.