• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

jb bore paste

MikeInUtah

Minuteman
Mar 9, 2013
West Valley, UT
Can't find any details about the difference between the red and blue label JB bore paste. I read on another forum that the red one is more abrasive.

Check into Iosso bore cleaning paste too. Follow the links to descriptions from Brownells.

Based on the information presented by Brownells the blue label is the more coarse abrasive cleaner and the red label is the finer polishing compound.

Reactions: Fig
Based on the information presented by Brownells the blue label is the more coarse abrasive cleaner and the red label is the finer polishing compound.
Correct, blue is more abrasive .

Correct, blue is more abrasive .
Not according to @Frank Green

Frank is ok with JB Bore Compound (blue label) but NOT JB Bore Bright (red label).

I go with what Frank says....and on the occasions that I use any product of this type, I used Rem 40X after speaking with Mr. Green.

Frank is ok with JB Bore Compound (blue label) but NOT JB Bore Bright (red label).

I go with what Frank says....and on the occasions that I use any product of this type, I used Rem 40X after speaking with Mr. Green.
Thanks, this is what I wanted to confirm. blue/less abrasive; red/more abrasive.

The red paste can be dangerous, it can make the bore too smooth and cause it to foul excessively. Surely it has ruined some barrels. I use the red JB's to polish the throat on a new chamber; it works quite well for that.

Reactions: Frank Green

I see no mention of the OP using a brush . How I read it is ... What is the grit of these two , the Abrasive value ?

I saw no mention of the OP using a brush
That's a non-sequitur and has nothing to do with the subject at hand or my linked Frank Green post (and no, not the post after the one I linked, right?)

Frank is clear...use the blue stuff. He has posted, on multiple occasions, more extensively about using the Compound and definitely NOT the Bore Bright in other posts....feel free to do the search for them. Frank also uses 40X and that was his recommendation and what I use on those occasions when I want to use a bit of abrasive.

As far as the "abrasive value"...dunno, maybe ask JB and they will tell you and you can report here.

but I do think the descriptions of the products is telling....Bore Bright = Finishing Compound while Blue Label stuff = Cleaning Compound

Last edited:
I just emailed Brownells. JB Bore Cleaner (blue) is courser grit than the JB Bore Bright (Red) but they didn't seem to have an actual grit number for either.

The blue is almandine, the red is almandine with pyrope garnet which makes it closer to jeweler's rouge in appearance and action. You can over-polish a chamber or bore with the red and create more problems than you solved.

Reactions: Frank Green

I like this stuff and Thorro Clean sold by Bullet Central. Cleaning sucks and these products get shit done quick without having to wait around on chemicals to slowly attack carbon buildup.

I have used thoro clean and jb. Thoro clean is easier to clean up when finished scrubbing.

I have not used the cameleon gel but have heard good things.

Reactions: dimar1492