• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jean Claude Van Damme Returns to Kickboxing

shankster..

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2004
North Idaho
http://www.sportsuntapped.com/jean-claude-van-damme-returns-to-kickboxing-117591/

Van Damme — now 50 years old — was very emotional at the press conference, and apparently has a lot of regrets about how he has lived his life. He also might regret stepping into the ring with his scheduled opponent, Somrak Khamsing. Khamsing has competed in 4 different Olympic games as a a boxer: 1992, 1996, 2000 and 2004. At the 1996 Summer Olympics he won a gold medal in the men’s Featherweight category, becoming the first Thai athlete to win a gold medal at the Olympics.

Khamsing is also an action movie star like Van Damme back in his native Thailand. The two will do battle in April 2011, in Las Vegas, Nevada. The winner of that match will get to oppose the current world champion Jeffrey “The Squasher” Sun.

Re: Jean Claude Van Damme Returns to Kickboxing

I wonder if the fight will make it pass 2 rounds? This is a 50 year old former film actor going up against a true professional in their art. I hope he has trained hard, because he dose not have the same experience.

It's going to be a real fight? Weird, I don't think VD has ever done that.

I'd love to watch this. Any guy that goes into the ring infront of millions to face an opponent hand to hand gets some of my respect even if he doesn't win that's pretty cool.

I bet it's raining money on him right now though.

He will get his ass kicked quick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He will get his ass kicked quick. </div></div>

Yeah pretty sure of that.

yeah ask Chuck Zito about him! I believe it was a two punch fight.

I would have thought he would start out with an easier opponent..., like Kimbo Slice.

I think it was Van Damme that once said he could kick Chuck Norris's A**. I remember when Chuck was asked about the comment he blew it off and said that Van Damme had no professional fight experience and had not proven himself. Chuck was a real fighter and Champion in his sport at one time in the past.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: varmint6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah ask Chuck Zito about him! I believe it was a two punch fight. </div></div>

Yes it was
laugh.gif

He had skills but I think he will end up like one of the bad guys in his real bad movies

1/ At the age of 12, Van Damme joined the Centre National De Karate (National Center of Karate) under the guidance of Claude Goetz in France. Van Damme trained for four years and he earned a spot in the Belgian Karate Team.

He made his debut in 1976, at the age of 16.[16] Competing under his birth name of Jean Claude Van Varenberg, he was staggered by a round-house kick thrown by Toon Van Oostrum in Brussels, Belgium.[17] Van Damme was badly stunned, but came back to knock out Van Oostrum moments later.

In 1977, at the WAKO Open International in Belgium, Van Damme lost a decision to fellow team mate Patrick Teugels. The experience left an impact on Claude Goetz and he felt that Jean-Claude needed more training before competing again.

After six months of intense training and sparring, Master Goetz decided to unleash his prized pupil on the European Full-Contact scene. Jean-Claude won his first tournament by scoring three knockout victories in one evening. However, in a 1978 match for the Belgium lightweight title, he again lost a decision to Patrick Teugels.[18] Once again, the loss left an impact on Claude Goetz and a few months later at Iseghem, Belgium, Van Damme came back and knocked out Emile Leibman in the first round. In 1979, Jean-Claude and the Belgium Team became European Team Champions.[19]

Next, he faced Sherman Bergman, a kickboxer from Florida, USA with a long string of knockout victories. For the only time in his career, Van Damme was knocked to the canvas after absorbing a powerful left hook.[17] However, Jean-Claude climbed off the canvas and with a perfectly timed ax-kick, knocked Bergman out cold in 59 seconds of the first round. Van Damme ended 1979 with a stoppage of Gilberto (Gil) Diaz in one round.[20]

In 1980, Jean-Claude Van Damme defeated former Great Britain karate champion Michael J. Heming. Next, Van Damme scored a knockout over France's Georges Verlugels in two rounds. After these victories, Jean-Claude caught the attention of the European martial arts community. Professional Karate Magazine publisher and editor Mike Anders, and multiple European champion Geet Lemmens tabbed Jean-Claude Van Damme as an upcoming prospect. However, Jean-Claude's ambitions now focused in the direction of acting.

Van Damme ended his fight career at the Forest National in Brussels. He knocked Patrick Teugels down and scored a first round technical knockout victory. Teugels suffered a nose injury and was unable to continue.

Following the victory, Van Damme retired from martial arts competition. However, Van Damme made a comeback in 1981. In his first match he knocked out Henk Besselman of Holland in one round, and at the 1st Journée Des Arts Martiaux, Van Damme knocked out Lenny Leikman in 3 rounds.[21] His final fight record was 20–2 (20 Knockouts), with all wins being knockouts and his two losses being by decision.[22]

Van Damme will make a return to fighting and is scheduled to fight former boxing Olympic gold-medalist Somluck Kamsing in April 2011.[23] Various reports have named Las Vegas, USA, Moscow, Russia and Macau, China as locations for the bout.[24] At the prospect of being the first man over the age of 50 to kickbox professionally, Van Damme stated that "it's kind of dangerous, but life is short."

Man, these guys just don't know when to give it up! First Steven Seagal, now Van Damme... Who's gonna be next?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, these guys just don't know when to give it up! First Steven Seagal, now Van Damme... Who's gonna be next? </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">This guy:</span>
David_Carradine_KF.jpg

Come Grasshopper, we train. You are one badass shaolin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, these guys just don't know when to give it up! First Steven Seagal, now Van Damme... Who's gonna be next? </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">This guy:</span>
David_Carradine_KF.jpg

</div></div>
Ahso...honorable Grasshopper

As long as this doesn't spur a reality show by him I think
it would be fun to watch.