• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jewell AR-15 Trigger Setup

GBMaryland

Herr Oberst
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 24, 2008
    Maryland, US
    Ok,

I'm usually pretty good at this sort of thing, but I'm having a problem with a Jewell AR-15 trigger assembly... specifically the fine tuning part.

Issue: I've got two uppers for my AR-15 lower... one is in 556 NATO 1/9 (Armalite) and the other is in 223 Wylde (Larue).

I've invested in a Lyman trigger pull gauge...

Interestly, things work great with the NATO upper (and it's gas system), and, ahem, not so well with the Larue upper.

The basic issue: multiple shots occur some of the time with the trigger adjusted in it's current position. [This appears to be a known issue with the Jewell AR trigger when not properly adjusted...]

So,

Does anyone have some pull numbers for each stage of the Jewell trigger that I can try adjusting to?

I'm looking for a number for the 1st stage (lbs/ozs), and then a number for the total pull into the second stage.

I solved this issue by just making the trigger pull really hard, but I'd rather do it right...

Anyone's with experience with a Jewell AR trigger would be greatly appreciated.

Otherwise, a good explaination on how to adjust this sucker would be useful... I got it with a lower and don't have the instructions. (Which I understand are not the best??)

Re: Jewell AR-15 Trigger Setup

Read the manual. You can get one from Jewell.

Trigger has NOTHING to do with the upper.

I was sorta hoping to some clear input from here... rather than waiting a week or so...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trigger has NOTHING to do with the upper. </div></div>

Trigger operation on the other hand...

Well, the Armalite upper shoots perfectly fine... and the Larue upper occationally two round bursts.

That tells me that there is SOME difference between the two uppers, which is affecting the operation of the trigger.

Considering that the buffer spring is the same, and both uppers are 20 inch units... and firing the same ammo... (though one is 5.56 and the other 223 Wylde, so there would be presure differences of some sort).

I'm looking for one adjustment for both uppers... and there MUST be a reason for the change in operation with the Larue upper on there...

The difference between the two uppers may be the bolt carrier firing pin shroud and the way it resets your hammer and disconnector. With the way you have it adjusted now the disconnector won't hold the hammer as the carrier cycles to the rear, giving you occasional doubles.

The Jewell's weakness is in its hammer spring -- it is nowhere near as strong nor durable as the GI spring (which CAN be modified to fit a Jewell). The lighter Jewell spring also gives longer lock time than a Milazzo-Krieger or Geissele so has been replaced by many, many highpower shooters. In its day it was one of the better second choices but is now a dated design.

National Match shooters normally try something like 3 1/2 pounds on the first stage and 1 pound on the second.

Don't know why you blamed the Larue since you're fumbling about with the trigger, no manual, and no clue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Don't know why you blamed the Larue since you're fumbling about with the trigger, no manual, and no clue.

</div></div>

Thanks for the info... I appreciate it.

At what point EXACTLY did BLAME Laure for the failure of the trigger adjustment?

Pointing out the facts in an attempt to help detetmine the issue is not BLAME. (The Larue is the far the better of the two uppers.)

So thanks for the info, certainly helpful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308sako</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    The little tiny allen head on the right side and closest to the magwell is your friend here, counter clockwise about 1/2 turn and fire for effect with the LaRue. </div></div>

Fixed the problem perfectly, and didn't add to significant a change to the over feel / pull.

Thank you. I appreciate it, greatly.

GB

whistle.gif
    nevermind

deleted in protest

<span style="color: #006600"> <span style="font-size: 14pt">You are very welcome </span> </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GBMaryland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, no one has an answer for this? </div></div>

Sorry to get to the party late...

I have the info scanned that came with my Jewel trigger in .pdf form. If you want a copy of it email me and I will send it right out.

Keith
    [email protected]