• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Jewell Trigger issue

1lnbrdg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2010
Louisiana
A couple times this past weekend, my Jewell trigger had issues. When I pulled the trigger, it kind of broke but didn't fire at that moment; firing pin did fall shortly after, a hang-fire. The trigger is clean, the bolt and spring are clean, very lightly oiled. Felt like the trigger isn't completely releasing then does. I can't replicate it with an empty chamber no way, no how as of yet.

I Googled FAC's for Jewell's but haven't found anything. Any Ideas?

Re: Jewell Trigger issue

I'd flush it with Zippo lighter fluid & see if it helps. Maybe there's some dust or crud in the mechanisms??

Yep, overtravel adjustment. I always put a little more sear engagement and more overtravel on the triggers than the factory adjustment recommends. When you shoot in bad conditions, wet, dusty etc. I don't want any issues. I hear guys bad mouth these triggers but I think they are the best if adjusted properly, I think I have 4 of them.

It makes sense that you cannot replace it with an empty chamber. You are not putting pressure on the lugs and the bolt sits slighty different in the Rec.
Increase overtravel and it will help. For best results, try to find a properly tuned Remington trigger. It will work like it was designed for it.
smile.gif

RTH

Try this:

Pull the bolt.
Get a small jeweler's flat tip screw driver.
Use it to push down on the transfer bar of the trigger mechanism. The transfer bar is the part that the cocking piece of the bolt loads against when you rotate into battery.
Now pull the trigger as if you were firing the gun.
It should "break" and drop the transfer bar. You should feel the screw driver move and hear a faint, but audible click as you do this.
Now release the pressure on the trigger shoe. Once done, release the pressure on the screw driver. The transfer bar should reset- again with a faint click.

If you are getting this, then the trigger is functioning properly.

If it's not:

Ensure its clean as mentioned. Naptha works well for this.
This part is lengthy and will require a smith very familiar with Jewel triggers:

On the odd chance that the person who installed it did the "bump test" by tapping on the cocking piece with a hammer, they may have unintentionally broke a piece in the trigger. (this is the experience thing coming in as I did it once)

On the Hunter/Varmint series of Jewel triggers there is a pie shaped wedge "thingy" down towards the bottom of the trigger housing. It has a hole that runs on a cross pin. This piece has a narrow break/slot in the hole from the wire EDM cutting it out as one piece. (a by product of older EDM's that didn't have the ability to break/auto load the wire)

If one gets too heavy handed with a hammer when checking the fire control it is very easy to split this pie shaped piece in half. Replacement is your only option.

If the piece is cracked it could cause intermittent issues. It may work once, then get cranky later.

Not saying that's the cause, but if you've exhausted all other options its worth investigating.

Now onto the bolt:

Assuming the trigger is functioning as it should.

First ensure the fire control is clean. I know you said you did, but double check. It could be a blown primer, anything. They have a nasty habit of poking through the striker hole in the bolt face and hanging things up.

Ensure the pin that retains the cocking piece to the striker is properly aligned. If any portion of it is sticking past it will hang up inside the shroud-making for a lethargic drop of the stiker once the trigger breaks.

Next, ensure the tip of the striker isn't bent. It's very easy to do and will cause all sorts of hate and aggression.
smile.gif

Last, ensure the cocking piece is clocking properly. Sometimes they goof and hang on one side of the track of the receiver. this too can cause things to run slow/sloppy.

Hope this helps.

C.