• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jewell triggers are pussies

i doubt any trigger will put up with repeated pierced or blanked primers.

what happens is this:
The cartridge fires with too high pressure resulting in a hole in the primer. Gas shoots out the hole in the primer, blowing the small disk that came out of the primer back through the firing pin hole. The gas then blows the cocking piece back farther than it should and then the firing pin spring drives the cocking piece forward hitting the top bar on the trigger. You might get by with it once, twice or more times, but more than likely it's going to break something in the trigger eventually. The cocking piece driving forward has the same effect as hitting the trigger with a small hammer. I've seen the top bar and a few other of the levers inside Jewell trigger break all caused by blanked primers.

I've used them hard and put them away wet and never had a problem with them. It's most likely the owner that's where the problems come from.

When this man speaks everyone on here should listen. He has forgotten more than most will ever know.

Jewell triggers are pussies

I've used them hard and put them away wet and never had a problem with them. It's most likely the owner that's where the problems come from.
Exactly.

I've never had a functionality problem with any Jewell trigger. Not at Rifles Only. Not in the Utah desert. Not in the arctic. Never.

Others have. But I haven't.

Last edited:
I have jewel triggers in every rifle I own. I have fired literally thousands of rounds using these triggers on calibers from 6mm to 7wsm. I've blown many primers with never an issue. I've over pressured some 6.5x47 cases so bad that it expanded the web....and still no trigger issues. I've used them in many matches. Matches that at the end of the day there was so much dirt in the action that the bolt would barely close from the sand in the lugs.....still no trigger issue.

Same here, thousands of rounds, lots of pressure/ejection marks on case heads and my Jewell's been fine in sideways gusting sand/dirt to the point the bolt was hard to operate and still bears the deep gouges in the body from sand. No pierced primers though, that's a different problem. The one, singular issue with the trigger I have had is user error from misadjustment on the overtravel.

OP, I'll take your Jewell if it's so horrible. I do try to take care of my equipment and I don't deliberately abuse nice tools, as such I don't drive fence posts, dig ditches or thresh wheat with my rifle just because I could.

I hope you find a suitable replacement for pussy.

I hope you find a suitable replacement for pussy.

Sorry, no such thing exists.

And I run a Jewel in my match gun. 1000+ of rounds shot in the desert with sand and grit. Zero issues. It is 8oz of absolute perfection. And just like a pussy, it only requires a light touch to make it go off. ;-)

I'm not sure we want to know what the cost of a trigger would be with a Jewell pull and true ruggedness.
Swaro glass with Nightforce durability, that's a pretty penny.

Then again, this is a group of people who's most common measurements are made in thousands of a inch and hundredths of a grain.
I take it back, I'd buy one!

It's called a Kahles

Galaxy S3 on tapatalk

It'd be interesting and entertaining to reclaim this thread for the dead in 2-3 years and see how many Jewell lovers have changed their mind.

I'll try to remember to do this.

Anyone wanna buy a Jewell with top safety and no bolt release for a 700? It's still in the baggie since the last time it came back from San Marcos, Texas.

"It'd be interesting and entertaining to reclaim this thread for the dead in 2-3 years and see how many Jewell lovers have changed their mind.

I'll try to remember to do this.

Anyone wanna buy a Jewell with top safety and no bolt release for a 700? It's still in the baggie since the last time it came back from San Marcos, Texas."

How much???

I have jewel triggers in every rifle I own. I have fired literally thousands of rounds using these triggers on calibers from 6mm to 7wsm. I've blown many primers with never an issue. I've over pressured some 6.5x47 cases so bad that it expanded the web....and still no trigger issues. I've used them in many matches. Matches that at the end of the day there was so much dirt in the action that the bolt would barely close from the sand in the lugs.....still no trigger issue. I realize lots of people have had issues with them in the field, however I never have. Until they fail on me, I will contine it use them. And old Rem trigger might be great, but I've never been able to get one down to a pound or less with a break I still liked.
Likewise..........

I have had two of them. One went away when the rifle was sold. I put a Timney on my FN 260 Build and the more I use it, the more I began to like it. The Timney has a much cleaner break than the Jewells. While they can be adjusted for a very light release, they just have a vague, mush feel to them. Their reputation for having problems in dirty environments is real and not the invention of haters. If anyone thinks they are infallible, you should come to Western Oklahoma where the red dirt permeates everything and give one a try here. You will understand how that reputation came about.

I am a devoted fan of the Winchester/FN Model 70 and the beauty of their triggers in their simplicity. A little polishing of the conctact faces, basic overtravel adjustment, and replacement of the sear spring wtih a lighter spring produces a trigger pull that is nearly as good as the Timney for less than $10! My last Jewell got sold off and replaced with a tuned factory trigger and I couldnt be happier.

I'm with Jake and Isaac.
4000+ rounds each on two rifles (R700 and S591) without cleaning under field conditions, still waiting to break out the tuned 700 trigger I carry.....

I never had any issues with my jewell but had heard all the hype and was told for sure i was in for impending doom at a match so i bought a flat trigger timney for my remington. Had nothing but issues with it and it went down several times. Sold it. I went back to jewell. Just got back from an oklahoma match and four on our team had jewells in nasty dirt conditions where we could barely close our bolts and non of us had trigger issues. Definitely rinsed the trigger after the match though. Proper maintenance helps prevent most issues.

Last edited:
I have a good friend that has a Rem 700 with a Jewell. It is a field gun that has seen lots of time whacking prairie poodles out on the dusty plains and has never let him down. I could see how it could become an issue if things got really nasty.

For me, I shoot a ton of pistol with a DA only 7.5 lb. trigger so I find anything under 3 lbs. to be light. A good tuned, old style Remington trigger works best for me.

I use a Jewell trigger and have well over 1000 rounds through it without any cleaning or problems.
The instructor at the Precision rifle school I first attended had one on his rifle and easily had 7 thousand rounds on. Someone would end up using it in every class because of problems with a rifle. He said that he was about to get his third barrel for the rifle but never had a problem with the trigger.
He highly recommended the Jewell and I have been very happy with it.

So now, let me get this straight in my head.
1) You load your rifles hot enough to blow primers.
2) You do not properly maintain your equipment.
3) your equipment fails.
Huh, I wonder where the problem lies.

I would think if Jewells were so prone to problems, that gunsmiths like Surgeon Rifles, Robert Gradous, McWhorter Rifles, Louisiana Precision, McMillan Rifles, Jim Borden, Gunwerks etc... etc..... wouldn't use them as their "standard" trigger on their rifles, but THEY DO!!

Jewells are good to go = Just flush twice a year with Zippo lighter fluid & some compressed air.