• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Joel Russo vs. Manners

Walsh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2009
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Hi, me again with yet another question.

In the near furture I will be purchasing a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06. I will be replacing the stock, which comes to my question.

Joel Russo can make me a laminated wood stock for $325, pillar bed it for $210, and install two flush cups for $30, for a total of $565 + $210 for a CDI DBM.

http://russoriflestocks.com/

My next option is a Manners T5A. $475 for the stock, glass bedding is $200, and flush cups are $50, for a total of $725 + $210 for a CDI DBM.

http://mannersstocks.com/Tactical.html

This rifle will have a MTU barrel if that may be a factor, and I might mot go for the DBM.

Russo's stocks I like because of the looks and cheaper option and it could be a bit heavier. which, I am wanting

The Manners because I belive that it *might* have a slight edge in durability (I am scared that the laminate will be dented a bit more or that some of the wood might could get chipped off).

And yes, I have thought about a McMillian, but I would prefer a thumbhole stock and they do not make one.

Either stock will have a forward mounting Badger nightvision mount, two flush clups mounted on the left side, and will have a stock pack on the buttstock.

Thanks,
P.B.Walsh

Re: Joel Russo vs. Manners

I did not vote because they both make fine stocks. Just depends on what you like. If you like wood and don't mind the little extra weight go with Russo's. Wood looks so good with a nice coat of True oil! If you want durability I would go with Manners. You want go wrong with either!

Never been a big fan of wood accually. But it's got "soul" that fiberglass cannot touch. Fiberglass has durability that wood cannot see, hmm...

Please keep your opinions comming!!

check out the new xlr stock in the bolt rifles section he will make you a aluminum one that only weighs 3.5lbs and its only $695 no bedding needed and bottom metal is built in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you going to do with said rifle?

If weather, damage, strength is a concern, Manners.

If you want a nice looking wood stock, wood.</div></div>

+1

Good question Mike, I should've said it sooner, but this will be a hunting rifle, 300+ yard rifle, and SHTF. In other words, I will not be babying this rifle the least bit. I have also thought about buying an aluminum stock, but here in Alabama, metal can get pretty dang hot, so I am kind of wary in that regard, but never say never.....

Thanks,
P.B.Walsh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Walsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good question Mike, I should've said it sooner, but this will be a hunting rifle, 300+ yard rifle, and SHTF. In other words, I will not be babying this rifle the least bit. I have also thought about buying an aluminum stock, but here in Alabama, metal can get pretty dang hot, so I am kind of wary in that regard, but never say never.....

Thanks,
P.B.Walsh</div></div>

With what you listed I would go Manners. But I'm not a big wood stock guy. I also think it is kind of pointless to get a nice wood stock and beat it up.

i have never used a manners, but have used McM and have a couple of joels stocks. the stocks are durable, heavy and if you talk with him, he can make pretty much any combination of stock designs you want. i have dinged them up a bit, dropped my CZ 550 varmint on some rocks in eastern washington hunting yotes, i steamed the dents out and refinished.

now if you dont want to steam your dents out in the off season then Manners is your choice.

I say Manners for rifle, although alot of those blanks of wood would make some really nice 1911 grips, or look really nice on a OU shotgun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Walsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good question Mike, I should've said it sooner, but this will be a hunting rifle, 300+ yard rifle, and SHTF. In other words, I will not be babying this rifle the least bit. I have also thought about buying an aluminum stock, but here in Alabama, metal can get pretty dang hot, so I am kind of wary in that regard, but never say never.....

Thanks,
P.B.Walsh</div></div>

I live in Alabama and have an easy fix if you want an aluminum stock. I have a SOTech stock protector on my McCree's stock and it's fine. Even at Hardrock in the middle of the summer.

The thing I like in Joel's stocks is that they're of homogenous, durable material (proper impregnated laminate, not like the cheap flavors). Takes the guesswork out of many things.

I've ordered unfinished, and then cut the buttstock and forend to length after I've made up my mind on what I want. Also attaching and embedding stuff like rails and lights is straightforward. E.g. I seem to recall Manners will put a metal plate inside the stock at the time of manufacture if you want flush cups.

I don't really see there's a practical difference in strength between quality laminate and fiber stocks. I also think laminate stocks should be sealed 100%, so you cannot steam the dents even if you wanted (cannot see a reason to beat up a rifle and keep steaming it at the same time...)

In the end, get what you want (don't let the price difference decide). I believe there's a way to make Manners a bit heavier as you said you'd like. But you also said you like the looks of Russo's stocks...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HuntinAZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you going to do with said rifle?

If weather, damage, strength is a concern, Manners.

If you want a nice looking wood stock, wood.</div></div>

+1 </div></div>

+2 What Mike said.

Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manners</div></div>

You Manners whore
laugh.gif

I've had my Manner's T4A for a while. Recently decided to send it back to have Todd work some paint magic on it instead of plain OD. Either one will build you a great stock, you have to decide on what suits your needs.

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sumpter Steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Manners. </div></div>

Agreed

RUsso's stocks are beautiful, but I think I'd leave them for the bench queens.

Nothing wrong with them by any means, just wouldn't want to get them wet or expose them to to much heat/cold variations or anything like that on a precision rifle.

I am leaning towards to the Manners for my intended uses, just like to be differnt with my rifles.

Just need to fiqure out a way to add some weight to the buttstock to balance out that 7 pound barrel.....

Now, another question if I may, how do you modify AICS .300WM magazines to reliably feed 30-06?

Thanks,
P.B.Walsh

Well I guess I will go against the grain. pun intended!

I am a russo stock fan, have three with another on the way. I got tired of every gun looking the same, no personality!

I do not baby my comp gun, make it look pretty and use the hell out of it. When it starts looking crappy, sand it down and re shoot with auto clear coat. The secound time around the finish goes on much faster and smoother.

Durability, i think its a wash. If you are doing something to break a stock, I think the damage to the stock will be the least of your worries.

If you want a gun that looks like every one elses, then go manners. If you want a great stock with some character, Russo all the way!

DSC_0696.jpg

DSC_0420.jpg

Been running a MCS T1 for over 3 years now with no problems or complaints!!! Strong, sturdy, holds a finish great, etc.... Now I like my classics in wood ie; M1 Garand, Thompson M1, Winny 94, etc., but for my go to gun.....MCS or Mcmillan.... GL! In the end it's you it has to please, so go with your gut!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Willys46</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSC_0696.jpg

DSC_0420.jpg
</div></div>
WOW those stocks are awesome man! Id still take the Manners though.

Russo builds a nice stock, but I am not a wood fan either. Manners all the way.

CavScout, that is the coolest looking painy scheme I have ever seen, if you don't mind me asking, how much was it?

Reminded me of a Louisville Slugger!!

I suggest you check out the current M70 McMillan specials.

Reviewing this thread, I have to say, it's a very hard choice between the two stocks you suggested, for all the very valid reasons the other posters have suggested. i just think, however, that when you're looking for something literally bulletproof, you only really have one choice, and that's McMillan. A3 and A5, I have/had them both (I gifted the A5 to a really good friend), and I simply believe I could never find anything either more serviceable or durable. Period.

My only quibble is my fault, not Mcm's. I'm a frugal bastich, and parting with the big bucks runs against my grain. For McM, it's a reasonable price, but any opportunity to shave/save bucks, and I'm all perked up and listeny! The McM specials site is well worth keeping an eye on.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try this with your laminated wood stock </div></div>

After there's barreled action and optics on the stock, and it keeps the zero (or is at least re-zeroable) after the experiment, we can get back on this subject.

Kind of reminds me about the joke comparing baseball cap and motorcycle helmet; drop them both from 50th floor and since cap doesn't get any damage it must be better for protecting your head...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jthyttin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try this with your laminated wood stock </div></div>

After there's barreled action and optics on the stock, and it keeps the zero (or is at least re-zeroable) after the experiment, we can get back on this subject.

Kind of reminds me about the joke comparing baseball cap and motorcycle helmet; drop them both from 50th floor and since cap doesn't get any damage it must be better for protecting your head... </div></div>

get a fucking clue dude. I hope that translates effectively. Let me know if it doesn't and I'll rephrase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jthyttin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try this with your laminated wood stock </div></div>

Kind of reminds me about the joke comparing baseball cap and motorcycle helmet; drop them both from 50th floor and since cap doesn't get any damage it must be better for protecting your head... </div></div>

get a fucking clue dude. I hope that translates effectively. Let me know if it doesn't and I'll rephrase. </div></div>

heh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Walsh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am leaning towards to the Manners for my intended uses, just like to be differnt with my rifles.

Just need to fiqure out a way to add some weight to the buttstock to balance out that 7 pound barrel.....

Now, another question if I may, how do you modify AICS .300WM magazines to reliably feed 30-06?

Thanks,
P.B.Walsh
</div></div>
Adjustable cheek piece and adjustable butplate will add some weight to the stock, you can also have tom use some heavy filler too.
Polytech

manners. hands down, with badger or surgeon bottom metal.

I'm not messing with any adjustable hardware, mabey Tom has some heavy enough fill. My only bottom metal options for a DBM is CDI. Can anyone answer this though:

How do you modify AICS .300WM magazines to reliably feed 30-06?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try this with your laminated wood stock - note that they used an M14 stock, which has a much wider cutout/thinner stock left over in the action area than your M70 inlet will have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TkdFpyulJk</div></div>

have you seen Manners web site they do the same thing

I have a Manners and love it, I wouldn't get anything else

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CS1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">or have ARPredatorhunter do it:

Example44.jpg

http://ontargetcustoms.net/ </div></div>

Is that Ironwood?

Nice BTW.

Joel is currently doing a custom (wood) stock for me. I know not everyone here is a fan of wood stocks, but frankly I already have enough black rifles and I wanted something that is going to be an absolute work of art. For that, Joel is THE MAN, and you will not find a better person that will work with you to create whatever it is you want. Having said that, it will still be a rifle and I will have no reservations about shooting it. So what if it gets some scratches or a little dirty? It is meant to be used IMO.