• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater John Carter

crazybrit

Private
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2011
California
Take the two hours and 15 minutes and $$ you may have been thinkin' about burning to take the boys to an action adventure fantasy flick and do something usefull with it!!!! Wow.. some good CGI and a little bit of eye candy, but I wish I could have it all back. Way too long,.. kids all got bored and restless then a quick battle scene to wake 'em up...repeat a few times.... the end!!!!!

Re: John Carter

It takes a while to get going but once it does it's fun. The scale of the visual effects are really impressive and almost worth seeing for that reason alone. Big air battles, huge ground battles, etc. A lot of 3D conversions are pretty weak these days because they go the cheap route, but this isn't one of them - definitely worth seeing in 3D.

I saw it in 3D, & was impressed. That was my 1st 3D movie since the old Friday the 13th. I read the books about 30 yrs ago, & don't remember many of the details, but it seemed to follow the book closer than I expected. I'll see it again.

that movie cost 250 million to make and only made 30 million.
(someones getting fired)

I saw it and throughly enjoyed it, my wife did as well. I like vintage SciFi books and films so this fits right in there. If you don't like that genre then this may not be for you. Burroughs was a prolific writer most noted for his Tarzan books. Well worth the viewing IMHO.

Caught it this weekend and enjoyed it as well as the wife and son. IMAX 3D on the other hand sucks ass. Horrible headaches for all three of us.

i was thinking about seeing this movie, bassed on all the mixed reviews i see, is it worth seeing in theaters or just wait to rent it?

Terrible movie... Another SciFi movie with tons of potential that will go down as biggest movie flop in history.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootist2004</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that movie cost 250 million to make and only made 30 million.
(someones getting fired) </div></div>

The news said that the studio took a $200 million write-down because of this movie. They said that the previous management undertook the project and the new management put it out just to recoup some of the costs but they all knew it was a total turd and would be a total money loser.

Watched it last night. I liked it, a lot. Will buy the DVD when it appears.

Very rarely does the movie exceed the book....in fact the only one I can think of off the top of my head is The Godfather.

thanx for saving me time and money on this one, the preview looked real good though but i am gonna wait for netflix.

Here's a little CPR to a dying post...

Watched this a few nights ago after a late shift. Was blown away to say the least.

I remember reading these stories over 40 years ago. Not a lot of detail but recall enjoying them, borrowing from a friend one at a time over a summer, read the whole series. Few years later did the same with the "Gor" series of books.

I then watched the special features, how it was made, and was struck by how derivative all the last century's swash buckling space adventures have been; that's true from Star Wars to Star Trek and pretty much everything in between.

Even Robert Heinlein paid homage to Edgar Rice Burroughs. Burroughs, like his contemporaries Howard Phillips Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard were visionaries and masters of a craft which, although touched upon in previous decades of fiction story tellers, created worlds that were palpable and as fully encompassing of human mythos as any story teller since. And it only took 100 years for technology to catch up with imagination.

I watched this again last night with my son, 19, who I turned on to Sherlock Holmes' books this year after seeing the newer movies with him, and he enjoyed this movie as much as I.

Can't wait for the sequel(s).

They showed this on a flight from DFW to Seattle. I was trapped! Horrible film!