• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Jon Boat for electric only lake questions:

wingnut49b

Private
Minuteman
My sons are into fishing, and I am looking at a Jon Boat for them for Christmas. Now is a good time to buy in northern Indiana! I haven't ever been into it before, so I have some dumb questions...

The local state park has an electric only lake, 2 miles from end to end Is one trolling motor going to be enough? And how long will a battery last if it's not crap? A couple hours?

I'm pretty mechanical, and these boats are pretty simple, but what should I be looking for in one? I assume if it doesn't leak, and isn't beat up you should be good, right?

Thanks for helping a new guy.

Re: Jon Boat for electric only lake questions:

I always bring an extra battery when I'm someplace using only a trolling motor.

If you are looking at used John boats check the aft where the motor would normally be attached. If there are any cracks don't buy. Also most are riveted. The rivets can leak but they can be hammered down to seal them back up.

As far as how long the battery will last? Who knows? Just depends on the motor, the size/shape of the boat, wether it's being driven into the wind, the battery, and probably some other things too. make sure you have a good set of oars in it.

Thanks. For under $500, I guess I can't get hurt to bad. Just wanting to buy one I'll be happy with.

I'll have a good winter project with the teen boys putting a deck in it, etc.

An all welded one vrs a riveted one is a better investment and less likely too develop leaks.
You + 2 boys + 2batts, adding a deck, trolling motor, all your gear, ice chest whatever... Adds up quick in weight. Make sure you get one with more weight capacity than u think you need. Not only for the safety of the boys but possible legalities. I know here in Texas you can get a ticket for over loading your boat. Most boats have a maximum weight and maximum persons placard somewhere.

I would recommend checking out all your local laws regarding boating for your AO.

Bottom line..... Enjoy the time with the boys.

Great help guys.

I'm looking at one tomorrow. 12' with trailer, trolling motor & battery for $400. Looks well kept from the pictures.

Should get us started pretty well, though it may not get the deck and all.

wingnut49b I used to live in NWI what lakes u fishing? did you ever get a boat. I lived in Highland, I fished mostly Lake Shafer in Monticello

After using a 1548v w/ 25hp for a few seasons now duck hunting and running hoop nets, width is more important than length.
Be very aware of the lack of stability with 32"/36" bottom boats. As a kid I tipped water more than once in a tiny bateau with two people. YMMV.

In my experience, a trolling motor battery will last long enough to get half way back!
laugh.gif
Be sure to include a paddle and spare battery....

How would they feel about a Prius on pontoons?

Just remember this:
Boat- A hole in the water, surrounded by wood, fiberglass, or metal, into which you pour your money.

I sum it up like this:
Stand in a cold shower and start stuffing $100 bills...(the note denomination is directly proportional to the amount your boat costs, so in your case, oh I'd say you can use $10 bills)....down the drain. When this begins to feel like fun you are ready to embrace fully the ownership of a boat.

BTW I have owned 4 boats and currently own a 19ft "hole in the water"
It hasn't cost me a dime in 3 years....its also hasn't been wet in 3 years.

I have a 1448 flat Jon with a full 7/16 osb deck and I only use a 28lb thrust trolling motor which works just fine moving mine around. I use an optima blue top. I usually have my 25hp on the back too tilled up so the boat isn't light.

I have to agree the width is the most important. I've rode in single wides (32" bottom) and they feel unstable if you have 1 or 2 other people in the boat moving around. A double wide (48" bottom) is definitely the way to go. A friend of mine wanted a longer boat so he went from a 12' double to a 14' single and hates his boat.

Agree about getting a wide stern, I've a 12'X32" short side for certain places and a 12'x60" tall side for more open water and fast rivers.
A boat can be a money pit, but mine have filled the freezer with fish more that a few times last year. Brought home many Deer as well. It's more about your usage than anything else.
Make use you have oars/paddles no matter what for a small boat. I Fished and trolled for many years with nothing but oars, good skill for kids to learn.

I've used a 14ft Jon with trolling motor only abunch. I've ran well over 2 miles on one battery, just make sure you always have an extra. Also make sure you have paddles just in case. You never know when something might happen.

I've been on 17 recovery jobs for people that bought a Cabela's 10' john boat, trolling motor, battery and cooler.

11 of those were for victims less than 400yd from shore in a 9.9 reservoir, that same reservoir is considering going electric only now to be more "green"

A few of them were really easy body recoveries. We simply ran a search pattern til we found fresh beer cans, then followed them like bread crumbs to the bodies.

BOAT = Bust Out Another Thousand. Or in a john boat, they should be called "check your life insurance and will"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LakewoodGunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wingnut49b I used to live in NWI what lakes u fishing? did you ever get a boat. I lived in Highland, I fished mostly Lake Shafer in Monticello </div></div>

I'm further up north just outside of South Bend. Will be on Potato Creek's lake to start with at least.

We do have oars... And a little planning ahead should keep us safe. Not getting hurt is important. I'm not worried about a little bit to swear or sweat about though.

A little time with my son feeding the fish on a lake can't be too bad. Catching a couple would be even better.

If you fish in the middle of a big lake or for on the move bring along a crap bucket and some biodegradable T/P. Women folk like that. MM