• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report JP 224 Valkyrie Barrel Life Images

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    So I spoke to JP rifles about their test barrels and demo barrels used by their reps to see if they had one that was shot out using the 224 Valkyrie. Initially I asked them if they had a barrel with an excess of 6000 rounds, and the answer was YES. So then I asked if they could cut it in 1/2 so we can see the wear, and they said, NO, it's still shooting sub-MOA (Which was translated to 1/2 MOA with factory Ammo.)

image002.jpg

Understand this is a .224V JP Cryogenic SuperMatch barrel in 416R barrel

It's important to note that JP does several things to improve the life of the barrel. From Cryogenic stress relieving to using the Heat Sink in order to move damaging heat around. These barrels are designed to last as long as possible.

For more information on their barrels, check out here.

Because this cartridge is relatively new, and because of the longer barrel life, valid information is not easy to come by, so taking any guessing on this subject with a grain of salt. We are well past 2000 rounds downrange playing with this cartridge and feel we are just getting started.

So I spoke to JP rifles about their test barrels and demo barrels used by their reps to see if they had one that was shot out using the 224 Valkyrie. Initially I asked them if they had a barrel with an excess of 6000 rounds, and the answer was YES. So then I asked if they could cut it in 1/2 so we can see the wear, and they said, NO, it's still shooting sub-MOA (Which was translated to 1/2 MOA with factory Ammo.)

View attachment 6981237

Understand this is a .224V JP Cryogenic SuperMatch barrel in 416R barrel

It's important to note that JP does several things to improve the life of the barrel. From Cryogenic stress relieving to using the Heat Sink in order to move damaging heat around. These barrels are designed to last as long as possible.

For more information on their barrels, check out here.

Because this cartridge is relatively new, and because of the longer barrel life, valid information is not easy to come by, so taking any guessing on this subject with a grain of salt. We are well past 2000 rounds downrange playing with this cartridge and feel we are just getting started.
    As a fairly new .224 V owner, I appreciate all the info you put out about the caliber and it’s capabilities.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
    They cherry picked that photo out of several 6,000+ round count .224V sub-moa barrels. Doesn't prove anything. :LOL:
    It wasn't cherry picked you obviously have never owned a JP or talked to the company there barrels shoot I personally have a JP 223 barrel from the ban era that still shots sub moa after shooting competive 3gun for years and have 10xxx other more down it

Comparing your image to what I have seen with my current Bartlein 6.5 creedmoor... wouldn't it be something if this cartridge went 15,000 plus. My 223 rock creek (long throat) barrel has somewhere around 5k and it has an easily 4-5 times the fire checking, but it has been run hard and heavy.

Last edited:
    This looks promising. As much as I chose a .224 Valkyrie for its ability to do 1000 plus with factory ammo,I suspect I’ll end up loading for it too. Especially if it will have a long life barrel. Cheapsters will be cheap, no way around it.

If someone wants to send me 8k rounds I will go out back and let them off real quick and post before and after pics :)

Thanks Frank for not feeding trolls I suspect they've had their Fritos today already.

Just in case tho...

Ya can't test the accuracy of 5.56 by going to Dunham's and getting a $499 AR, and if you can't trust JP you can't trust anyone and better bug out or head to therapy. Being Mulder is more fun than being Scully, it's ok to believe stuff. Just maybe not time traveling Chinese stuff...

It wasn't cherry picked you obviously have never owned a JP or talked to the company there barrels shoot I personally have a JP 223 barrel from the ban era that still shots sub moa after shooting competive 3gun for years and have 10xxx other more down it

It was a jab at the naysayers that claim it won't last 2,000 rounds by pointing out that JP has several barrels with 6,000+ rounds that are ALL still shooting sub-moa. The jab was not that it was cherry picked, the jab was the it has over 3X the barrel life than claimed by the critics.

If someone wants to send me 8k rounds I will go out back and let them off real quick and post before and after pics :)

Thanks Frank for not feeding trolls I suspect they've had their Fritos today already.

Just in case tho...

Ya can't test the accuracy of 5.56 by going to Dunham's and getting a $499 AR, and if you can't trust JP you can't trust anyone and better bug out or head to therapy. Being Mulder is more fun than being Scully, it's ok to believe stuff. Just maybe not time traveling Chinese stuff...

he is one Frito.....this thread was about barrel life on a .224 Valkyrie not an AR from some TV show

It was a jab at the naysayers that claim it won't last 2,000 rounds by pointing out that JP has several barrels with 6,000+ rounds that are ALL still shooting sub-moa. The jab was not that it was cherry picked, the jab was the it has over 3X the barrel life than claimed by the critics.
    Sorry I didn't catch it was at the naysayers! Yes I'm impressed about the barrel life I just put. 22" criterion together myself and have seem fantastic results with it so far seeing sub moa groups with the cheap 75s

Sorry I didn't catch it was at the naysayers! Yes I'm impressed about the barrel life I just put. 22" criterion together myself and have seem fantastic results with it so far seeing sub moa groups with the cheap 75s

It's all good, I'm often the only one that laughs at my jokes. LOL

I'm setup to reload, but it isn't something I particularly enjoy and it isn't worth it to me at 224V prices. I just finished podcast 119 and I suspect I'll be ordering an Origin and barrel from Mile High early next year. Maybe stick it in an Oryx chassis and have a high quality "value" build.

Reactions: b6graham
    It's all good, I'm often the only one that laughs at my jokes. LOL

I'm setup to reload, but it isn't something I particularly enjoy and it isn't worth it to me at 224V prices. I just finished podcast 119 and I suspect I'll be ordering an Origin and barrel from Mile High early next year. Maybe stick it in an Oryx chassis and have a high quality "value" build.
    I love the boltgun idea the podcast and Frank's videos have me sold on being able to shoot local match's at a dollar around with no loading just buy ammo and shoot! Only reason I'm loading is I'm going to be using mine primarily as a coyote rifle with 69TMKs but factory ammo offerings in that middle weight are not quite around yet not chasing the heavys want volocity and far BC

Awesome photos! I've got 1500 through mine and will try to keep a log of similar photos. That's a great way to clock barrel life over time. Huge thanks for the post; speaks volumes for both JP and Valkyrie when barrels are done right!

I love the boltgun idea the podcast and Frank's videos have me sold on being able to shoot local match's at a dollar around with no loading just buy ammo and shoot! Only reason I'm loading is I'm going to be using mine primarily as a coyote rifle with 69TMKs but factory ammo offerings in that middle weight are not quite around yet not chasing the heavys want volocity and far BC

You could do that with 6mm Creedmoor.
    https://www.outdoorlimited.com/bulk...grain-boat-tail-hollow-point-case-200-rounds/

Reactions: McCrazy
    Did they say how far the lands eroded from new over 6000rds? How far they are jumping now vs new?
    I decided to try the same thing as JP on my Rainier UM barrel. I have a lesser quality bore scope (Lyman) but also have basic OAL and Ogive measurements from new barrel through 2,000 rounds that have been fired.

Here is data on throat wear; basically averaging .012" from new but it varies by bullet shape. VLD/secant profile bullets changed the least and tangent ogives changed the most. Berger's have smallest change; 69 SMK and 90 SMK have the largest change. The 77SMKs are from a different lot so I can't say whether its large due to lot to lot variation or actual shape/wear.
    224 V Throat Wear.PNG

Throat:
    224 V Throat Barrel Collage.PNG

Gas port after 2k rounds (1,000ish suppressed):
    224v Gas port.PNG

It is 200+ rounds dirty in this photo and has some copper and carbon from last session, but the photos make it look more severe than it is on the screen. It's traces but the color/quality of the images doesn't do it much help. Virtually Zero heat checking or cracking anywhere in the throat.

Reactions: lash
    .012" of erosion over 2000rds is nothing short of amazing.
    And that's after using Tubbs Throat Maintenance bullets 3 times (3 bullets every 500 rounds). Theoretically, those would push lands back a bit more than normal. Not sure they helped any but still pretty cool that it hasn't moved much since new.

Im not an AR guy, but I know that the JP barrels have a heat sink to help with wear. From what I gather your rainier barrel is pretty much bare bones with no fancy barrel life enhancers? To me it looks like 6k rounds is within grasp of just about any rig.

Thanks for sharing!

Im not an AR guy, but I know that the JP barrels have a heat sink to help with wear. From what I gather your rainier barrel is pretty much bare bones with no fancy barrel life enhancers? To me it looks like 6k rounds is within grasp of just about any rig.

Thanks for sharing!
    It is a .936" muzzle Fluted barrel but whether flutes help for heat at all is marginal and debatable. I don't think they do that much but they do make it much lighter overall (upper weighs same as my smaller OD .875", non-fluted 20" Kreiger).

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jackomason
    Another year has past...any updates on 224V barrel life with different makes of barrels?

I have a Craddock Bartlein 7 twist with about 3300 rounds through it. All factory loads.

I’m thinking accuracy may be opening up a bit. It still has moments where it shoots a .6” group or a touch better, but often I’m throwing flyers that opens the group to 1.25”. This is with factory 90 SMK Federal and 88 ELD Hornady.

I’m switching out Bipods from Harris to an Atlas CAL to see if that brings back more consistency. Also, I’m shooting various lots of ammo, so I wonder if ammo consistency has something to do with it.

Anyone manage to burn out a 22V barrel yet? ?

Thank you @lowlight for the info. I love real data and it's super cool to objectively see barrels making it so many rounds and maintaining accuracy!

Your barrel, I would bet it's done. But you can still sling rounds down the barrel and depending on what you do with it may be fine for continued use.

Ah man, I sure hope not. That’s why I asked the question, to see what others have experienced. If people are seeing great accuracy (especially from factory ammo) after a similar or greater round count than mine, then I can focus on other factors like myself or other equipment.

I’m not opposed to factoring myself into the flyers as well. Looking back at my photos of past targets, it’s not like I always shot excellently. It just feels like I gotta work a little bit harder to get the peak accuracy I saw before, which you’d think it would be the opposite after spending much time behind the gun.

Ok good news, my barrel is not shot out. I plan to do a more thorough write up when I get a chance, but long story short, it was the combination of target and scope I have been using as of late.

I got a SWFA SS 3-15 recently as a back-up scope to my Bushnell 4.5-18 LRHS. About the same time I switched mostly to 3/4” red dots to really dial in my groups. Well, that had the opposite effect as the SWFA couldn’t quarter the 3/4” dot effectively (due to magnification and resolution). So groups opened up, mostly horizontally (I surmise my rear bag stabilized the vertical).

In frustration I was looking at all my recent targets I saved. A common thing I saw was the few 2 MOA sized targets I shot had sub MOA groups.

I switched to the Larue square targets which are 2” with a 1” white center square. The SWFA was able to quarter the white center and suddenly I’m back to shooting sub MOA with ease.