• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JP Captured Spring: worth it?

Winny94

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 19, 2013
    I don't really care about noise, but always looking for ways to reduce any recoil impulse. Is it a noticable difference? 18" rifle length, JP Low Mass BCG, adjustable gas block already installed.

Yes. I've been shooting AR's since 1988. The JP Silent Captures Spring is the smoothest recoil system I have ever felt, and really compliments the other recoil mitigation systems from JP to the point that the sum of the parts is greater than the whole...no really.

I have to agree.... I have one in every AR I own now.... It is expensive but not much more than if you were gonna use slashes heavy buffer/Wolff spring.

I just bought one today for my POF .308 I have a LAW folding tactical stock adapter and apparently it wont work, BUMMER. But I will let you know how I like it as soon as I remove my folding adapter.

I have a jp silent spring in 4 ars and I can say they are worth every penny. Cant speak to using it in a 308 but in 556 they mitigate recoil and reduce noise better than anything se I have used.

Another believer here. The SCS is a fantastic piece... it's worth noting that if you buy the SCS and the alternate spring pack at the same time (direct from JP), you get a 20% discount on the spring pack.

I couldn't get the JP to work in any of my AR308 Ma Ten's (Slash's work great) but I have a couple in AR15's that do a great job.
    Only thing that is smoother on recoil is the Enidine but other issues arise like not locking back on empty.

If you compare it to a rifle length buffer and standard spring, yes it is a definite improvement. BUT, there are options. JP also sells a hollow ground spring, like a Tubbs. Use that a spacer and a carbine buffer and you will find that you are right there with the SCS for about half the price. If you already run a Carbine buffer, get a hollow ground spring. You can play with the weights in the buffer as well, from removing 1, 2 or all 3. If you remove 1 or 2, replace with a spacer.

If you don't want to tinker with the tune on your AR for the best performance, the SCS is more plug and play capable.

I debated using the JP captured spring in my build, and even though I wasn't too concerned over the cost I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much on it. I ended up using a heavy buffer from Weapon Outfitters and a Tubbs flatwire spring. While I haven't shot any rifles with the JP spring, I have shot my rifle quite a bit and can compare it to more conventional springs and say that I'm more than happy enough with it that the JP spring hasn't crossed my mind since.

I couldn't get the JP to work in any of my AR308 Ma Ten's (Slash's work great) but I have a couple in AR15's that do a great job.
    Only thing that is smoother on recoil is the Enidine but other issues arise like not locking back on empty.

Was it one of the early JP 308 versions? I ask because I believe the first run or two had the incorrect spring rate in them and they were more finicky on function.... I have one on a Maten 308 and it is flawless...

I have it and love it. It is a total waste of money and would buy it again and again. I can't really say much about the recoil pulse, I mean it is a .223. I just like it because it makes the rifle feel well put together. Someone said pulling back the bolt feels like racking a custom 1911 and I would agree on that point. In terms of any functional difference, I can't say there is any. I read somewhere that just stuffing the buffer tube with white graphite lube while achieve the same effect. I prefer the less mess approach.

Some people like to finish their AR's in different colors. I like to add the JP captured spring.

The JPSCS, adjustable gas block, and low mass carrier makes for an extremely smooth and soft shooting system.

Was it one of the early JP 308 versions? I ask because I believe the first run or two had the incorrect spring rate in them and they were more finicky on function.... I have one on a Maten 308 and it is flawless...

Can't really say, I put in Slash's, it worked, I moved on.
    Nothing against JP, love their stuff, it just didn't work on the 308.

The early .308 ones were fine. It was the early .223 ones that had the .308 spring on them that were the "oops." Worked great on the .450 BM. :)

I'm not familiar with the 223 issue but I'm positive about the 308 spring rate issue as I spoke via email extensively about it directly with a JP representative....

Last edited:
    Has anyone had any experiences with a SCS in a supressed 300 blackout? Does it make a difference in function also does it quiet the action down enough to make a difference?

Does anyone have any experience with Tubb's flatwire as well as the JPSC? Reason asking is I use the Tubb's for increased resistance to hold lockup a little longer. Wondering if I can get the same effect with the JPSC heavy spring setup. 223 btw.

L

Has anyone had any experiences with a SCS in a supressed 300 blackout? Does it make a difference in function also does it quiet the action down enough to make a difference?
    I have a gun very similar to the one used in the TTAG review that NICETRY linked, and I'm happy to say that the JP SCS works very well running sub loads, either suppressed or unsuppressed. It's REALLY smooth, regardless. I have not yet had a chance to shoot supers through that gun.

I can't say if it made any sort of difference, because I haven't shot that piece with anything OTHER than the SCS in place.

Yes I do. I have been using the scs in my 16" 300blk for 6 months or so now. It definitely is quieter. Mostly cause with the standard spring and buffer you get a sort of "ting" when it cycles. The scs doesn't have that do it is quieter. As for it being smoother or not....I didn't notice a difference. But I do enjoy the scs Mich more than standard spring and buffer. If you are shooting subsonic suppressed with the standard you will hear the spring quite a bit. With the scs you more just hear the bolt moving.

I have one in my maten. Makes charging it feel like the bolt carrier is gliding on ball bearings and the recoil impulse feels different, but in a good way. Last night I tried to swap out the spring with one of the ones I purchased from JP and I swear that they epoxied the fucking bolt in. I applied heat via a torch per the instructions to no avail. Just be advised that its a bear to swap springs on it if its something you want or need to do. That's my only complaint.

Not to hijack but what carriers are you all using with the SCS? Standard, op-mass, full-mass, m16, semi, semi-enhanced, really curious about the SCS and this thread gas helped.

I have one in my maten. Makes charging it feel like the bolt carrier is gliding on ball bearings and the recoil impulse feels different, but in a good way. Last night I tried to swap out the spring with one of the ones I purchased from JP and I swear that they epoxied the fucking bolt in. I applied heat via a torch per the instructions to no avail. Just be advised that its a bear to swap springs on it if its something you want or need to do. That's my only complaint.

Actually if you apply the correct amount of heat it's easy.... I've done it Atleast 5 times.... I put it in a vise...pad it.... Heat it slowly with a soldering iron torch attachment.... I apply heat evenly around it for a few minutes then apply some pressure to the screw while continuing to heat....... Eventually it will just turn.... 5-10 minute job max... If it doesn't turn with moderate pressure you haven't heated it up enough to break the loctite.

Last edited:
    Not to hijack but what carriers are you all using with the SCS? Standard, op-mass, full-mass, m16, semi, semi-enhanced, really curious about the SCS and this thread gas helped.

You can use whatever carrier you want.... There are different spring rates available for tuning to your set up if you don't have an adjustable gas block.

Actually if you apply the correct amount of heat it's easy.... I've done it Atleast 5 times.... I put it in a vise...pad it.... Heat it slowly with a soldering iron torch attachment.... I apply heat evenly around it for a few minutes then apply some pressure to the screw while continuing to heat....... Eventually it will just turn.... 5-10 minute job max... If it doesn't turn with moderate pressure you haven't heated it up enough to break the loctite.

Thanks for the info. I'll give her another shot.

Thanks for the info. I'll give her another shot.

No problem...first time I tried it I felt like you as I didn't heat it enough.....i contacted JP and gave it another try...With the right amount of heat it turns pretty easy....i used a butane soldering iron with a torch attachment for heating.....After the first time it's pretty easy...

I have one in every build I could put one in. ( I have a couple folding stock adapters) So about 4 right now. I would buy them over anything else.

Im running one in my SPR-ish build along with the light weight BC and a Syrac adjustable gas block. Everybody that has shot it loves it since it have almost no recoil. I also second that it feels like the bolt is on bearings when running the charging handle. None of my guns are smoother.

For those running these in their AR-10 308's how much recoil reduction have you noticed over full length 308 spring and H3 buffer? I have an LMT LM8 308 with a PRS stock and have been looking at the JP for a while but want to make sure it's really going to reduce recoil and help me get back on target quicker before I spend $130+

but want to make sure it's really going to reduce recoil and help me get back on target quicker before I spend $130+

The SCS is only one component of the system. You can change buffer weights, spring weights, adjust gas and muzzle devices in any AR platform to reduce recoil. The JP makes it easier to adjust the one component, regardless of it is a band-aid solution or the correct solution.

Adjustable gas is a solution for too much gas from the gas port. Putting heavier springs and buffers to cut recoil on an over-gassed barrel is like an ace bandage over a band-aid.

Taming the multiple recoil impulses of the .308 pattern ARs takes a very good muzzle brake, adjustable gas and then the fine tuning comes with the buffer, spring and loads.

I had the opportunity to shoot several of JP's rifles today at the Steel Safari. The SCS is awesome. It's incredibly smooth and quite. I'm off the fence.

Does anyone have any experience with Tubb's flatwire as well as the JPSC? Reason asking is I use the Tubb's for increased resistance to hold lockup a little longer. Wondering if I can get the same effect with the JPSC heavy spring setup. 223 btw.

L

I would like to know the same, I always put Tubb AR recoil springs in my ARs because they last forever

It's more about reducing the felt recoil and cycling effects than cycle time. The gun stays on target easier.

If you drop a reduced mass carrier in an already over gassed AR, yes, it cycles faster, which, depending on use, may or may not be beneficial and or cause malfunctions. The vast majority of people who run low mass carriers/buffers are looking for speed and softer recoil so that they can shoot 2 on the same target inside 100 yards, faster. With that in mind, the vast majority also use a barrel with a smaller gas port or a gas block set up to reduce the gas volume up the tube. When the gas volume is reduced, you can run lighter parts and significantly improve the performance.

JP had long been the leader in the whole concept of tuning the system for optimum performance. Failure to understand how the parts interact and work together can cause problems, but the JP rifles, from the factory as they are set up, are still the premier performance choice in the AR platform. Sure, you can tune and tinker if you understand how the system parts interact, but JP has already done the heavy lifting.

I have it and love it. It is a total waste of money and would buy it again and again. I can't really say much about the recoil pulse, I mean it is a .223. I just like it because it makes the rifle feel well put together. Someone said pulling back the bolt feels like racking a custom 1911 and I would agree on that point. In terms of any functional difference, I can't say there is any. I read somewhere that just stuffing the buffer tube with white graphite lube while achieve the same effect. I prefer the less mess approach.

Some people like to finish their AR's in different colors. I like to add the JP captured spring.

I haven't heard of the graphite lube option but will agree adding this is an option, not a necessity. I do feel a difference in the recoil, and a huge reduction in noise when firing.

I would like to know the same, I always put Tubb AR recoil springs in my ARs because they last forever

Went ahead and got one to try. It's worth the change. Went with the heavy spring out of the spring kit. I did have the Tubb's carrier weight but can't use it with this system. Don't really need it though and the trade off seems worth it so far. Much smoother and seems to accomplish what I was looking for.

L