• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JP Enterprises Silent Captured Springs?

Arc Light

Sheeple Herder
Minuteman
  • Aug 13, 2012
    Mountainside
    I'm wondering just how effective the JP Enterprises captured springs work at reducing the typical AR spring noise? My ears are sensitive and the racket made by the stock buffer spring setup is annoying as hell. You can feel it from bone conduction through your jaw to your ear even doubled up on ear pro. I'm sure "silent" is overstating it, but is the JP setup worth it for those that have tried it?

After many , many AR's... I still haven't felt the need for one of those. ( No offense to anyone, after all it is your money )

FWIW... make sure your interior of the buffer tube is smooth, I have seen some pretty danged un even finish inside various buffer tubes... and not all recoil springs are created equal.

Wire size can be small and that allows "excess" clearance in a buffer tube... or the finish on the recoil spring is less then smooth.

Those 2 factors can tolerance stack into a noisy setup.

I actually use grease to help quiet my conv. recoil spring setups, followed by some ALG Go-Juice .. granted I am not rolling around in the sand and mud, putting my life on the line... but it sure quiets down any twang in the PNW weather conditions.

I've been doing that for decades. Haven't had an issue yet

For me, it was worth it. I grew up shooting traditional wood-stocked rifles. Years ago, I got to shoot a buddy’s AR at the bench (a Sig 516), and I was surprised at the spring and clanking noises. I was new to AR’s, and it seemed distracting to have all this noise being created right next to my ear. A little while later, I picked up my first AR, and I put a JP SCS in it right away. For me, it made all the difference. I don’t shoot suppressed, so I can’t comment on anything in that area, but I really recommend trying one.

For me, it was worth it. I grew up shooting traditional wood-stocked rifles. Years ago, I got to shoot a buddy’s AR at the bench (a Sig 516), and I was surprised at the spring and clanking noises. I was new to AR’s, and it seemed distracting to have all this noise being created right next to my ear. A little while later, I picked up my first AR, and I put a JP SCS in it right away. For me, it made all the difference. I don’t shoot suppressed, so I can’t comment on anything in that area, but I really recommend trying one.

As a matter of fact, one of my AR's is a Sig 516. I don't shoot suppressed either, though I'm hoping to change that this year.

Reactions: cdeiglmeier
    After many , many AR's... I still haven't felt the need for one of those. ( No offense to anyone, after all it is your money )

FWIW... make sure your interior of the buffer tube is smooth, I have seen some pretty danged un even finish inside various buffer tubes... and not all recoil springs are created equal.

Wire size can be small and that allows "excess" clearance in a buffer tube... or the finish on the recoil spring is less then smooth.

Those 2 factors can tolerance stack into a noisy setup.

I actually use grease to help quiet my conv. recoil spring setups, followed by some ALG Go-Juice .. granted I am not rolling around in the sand and mud, putting my life on the line... but it sure quiets down any twang in the PNW weather conditions.

I've been doing that for decades. Haven't had an issue yet

Appreciate the reply.

I had read that some people use Mobil 1 grease on their stock spring and it supposedly quiets it down considerably. May have to try that and see how it works.

Reactions: bfoosh006
    Appreciate the reply.

I had read that some people use Mobil 1 grease on their stock spring and it supposedly quiets it down considerably. May have to try that and see how it works.

Remember JP also sells "Polished" recoil springs... bottom of the linked page.
    And IMHO, that would be part of a solution... along with a smooth interior of the buffer tube.
    https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php

Reactions: Arc Light
    I tried one when they first came out and didn't like it. For some reason mine was causing light strikes. 2 lowers identical except for one had the SCS and that one kept failing to fire. Swapped out for a regular buffer/spring and no more issues. Still not sure if that was the cause but I've steered clear since. I double checked my hammer spring and it was correct before swapping buffers.

Got rid of it and haven't gotten another.

Armaspec stealth recoil spring works just the same at half the cost.

My buddy has a super quiet 300BLK and you can definitely tell the difference between it and a standard spring.
    ^^^Very true! I've used both and they both work but I prefer the JPSCS. I like the ability to further tune the gun if I decide to make changes later on by going supressed or different barrel length or caliber.

I'm wondering just how effective the JP Enterprises captured springs work at reducing the typical AR spring noise? My ears are sensitive and the racket made by the stock buffer spring setup is annoying as hell. You can feel it from bone conduction through your jaw to your ear even doubled up on ear pro. I'm sure "silent" is overstating it, but is the JP setup worth it for those that have tried it?
    Worth every penny. You go from scraping and sproing to action closing being the sound you hear.

More reliability and makes suppressed shooting a totally new experience.

I've used a JP captured action spring in a 5.56 and a 6.5 Grendel and it does a good job of removing the typical AR spring sound.

It's your money, and if you want to spend it to make shooting more enjoyable then do it. A side benefit will be that the gun will cycle a little smoother and with little to no bolt bounce.

Yeah I have it in my 6.8 SPC and 300 BLK. They are pricey but I love them. Greatly reduces noise and like groves said smooth cycling and minimal bolt bounce once you get everything dialed.

I have one rifle with the SCS, and a bunch with grease on the buffer spring. You can't tell the difference side by side pulling the charge handle or shooting between the SCS and the others with a little dab of grease.

I have one rifle with the SCS, and a bunch with grease on the buffer spring. You can't tell the difference side by side pulling the charge handle or shooting between the SCS and the others with a little dab of grease.

Good to hear.

Question: do you lightly coat the spring with grease, or heap it on pretty good?

One thing I like is that you can swap the weights around pretty easy and along with an adjustable gas block you can really fine tune things if you are going suppressed. As mentioned before a little grease helps in the stock setup but you don't have the adjustability.

I love them. I have 6 of them in all my "nicer" ARs. Makes the action smooth and much quieter, especially if you are shooting suppressed. I highly recommend them.

Reactions: RTH1800
    Does the grease have a problem collecting dirt/dust

Good to hear.

Question: do you lightly coat the spring with grease, or heap it on pretty good?

Very light coat otherwise it seeps out into the action. Just start with a little dab on your finger, add some more if needed. Try it before you spend all that $$, if you don't like it you're only out a few cents.

Reactions: TACC and Arc Light
    Armaspec stealth recoil spring works just the same at half the cost.

My buddy has a super quiet 300BLK and you can definitely tell the difference between it and a standard spring.
    I second this. I have the ARMA spec one, makes a big difference to me, suppressed and unsuppressed. Also check out the Geiselle braided spring for a more cost effective option.

I have one in my 308 and love it. Absolutely none of that sproing noise you get with regular springs and JPs customer service is outstanding.

The Geiselle Super 42 spring is good to. No sproing with those either. Problem is Geissele it seems is customer service. When they sent me the wrong Reaction Rod they made me send them pictures of the invoice and the Reaction Rod I was sent. I did it that day and never heard back from them. After waiting a week for them to ship me a new one I emailed them again asking when it would be sent out. They finally sent me a new one the next day but never heard back from them other than a your item has shipped noticed. Just poor customer service IMO. And that was about 6 months ago. Won't be buying their stuff again for awhile. Sorry but good customer service is just as important as the quality of your product.

I love mine. They are in the must have upgrades/components for my ARs, right behind an adjustable gas block and decent trigger.

Reactions: MPrimo
    I am a fan as well. I have several and have gotten great performance and reliability from them. Make the gun seem slicker for sure.

I run them in all of my ARs. I have the regular one, H2, and the Short Stroke for my 9mm. Love them, smooth to shoot, tunable, no noise. You definitly don't need them and it is a bit of a luxury item, but I have spent so much on the builds + optics, why not have the nice buffer system to.

One thing to beware is the orings are a wear item. The 9mm chews up them faster (since blowback) and I did have one shread itself in the buffer tube that took some effort to get out. However this was at like 5000+ rounds or something since it is a USPSA gun.

You can order a 100 pack for $10 online, and I replace all of mine once a year now. JP does state you can run without them if you need to YMMV

Reactions: MediumSpeed
    For you guys using the Armaspec unit, what weight would I want for my stock Armalite AR15 carbine? I see they list 3.3 oz, 3.8 oz, 4.7 oz, and 5.6 oz.

I do not shoot suppressed.

For you guys using the Armaspec unit, what weight would I want for my stock Armalite AR15 carbine? I see they list 3.3 oz, 3.8 oz, 4.7 oz, and 5.6 oz.

I do not shoot suppressed.
    The 3.3 is what most people need if you're not shooting suppressed or a heavier caliber. Although I run 3.8 on my 223 Wylde, 762x39 AR and 300 blk. All perform well.

Changed all my semi's over to JPSCS. They do work well, but in the end, it's just a nicer, simpler, and more quiet mouse trap.
    I'd be curious if they last longer than normal or sprinco springs,etc..

Reactions: TACC
    I'd be curious if they last longer than normal or sprinco springs,etc..
    That's a great question. I don't put enough rounds down range right now with all this Corona crap going on... How often have you been needing to replace your sprinco or normal springs?

I have used one for years with no problems whatsoever. I got it because I hated the "sprong"
    sound of the standard spring.

Reactions: Arc Light and TACC
    I run 3 jp scs in my ar's. I only wish they made one to work with 9mm bolts

I have been shooting silent capture springs for about 6 years in precision gas guns. I think I have 8 of them now. PCC, SBR, .223, 6 Cr, and .308. You may have trouble going back to springs after you get one.
    If you call them you can use this code:
    JP Enterprises Coupon code: 43SS1015
    5% off major builds
    10% off accessories.

I have a jp SCS in my 6mm dti, and it makes that rifle a dream to shoot suppressed. I prefer to shoot it over my .223 ar's that I don't have a job SCS in.

Is your weight removable? You can drive it out and go with a heavier 9mm SCS to keep the total mass the same. The Short Stroke SCS is by far the biggest upgrade I've run on my 9mm AR's.

Hmmm didn't know they made this will have to check this out

Reactions: MarinePMI
    I have a JP GMR15, the Competition 9MM built for USPSA and Steel Challenge. There is no discernible sound from the tube. In shooting steel with it, it is much easier to hear the ping of the hit on steel without a spring going right past your ear. It is an amazing upgrade IMHO.

Hmmm didn't know they made this will have to check this out

Just got a JP SCS for a .223 carbine, and the instructions included the 9mm variant. As long has you can remove the BCG weight (CMMG's are roll pinned into place), then it should work.

I decided that the Collapsible carbine stock works like poop for me off the bench, so I just bought three A2 buffer assemblies (to mount three Choate E-2 stocks); but one if them needs to go on a PA-10. I wanted a buffer for an AR/PA-10, so I got the JP Silent Captured version for 308.

I figure if I have to buy one anyway, it might as well be a good one.

Greg

Reactions: drshoot