• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

JP LRP-07

BORG_888

Private
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2010
Bothell, WA
I find the specs of this rifle appealing and was wondering if any forum members have had the opportunity to shoot one recently...

The 'hunting' model (LRP-07H) seems like a decent buy; especially with the addition of a functional dust-cover.

Any feedback on fit/finish, accuracy, weight/balance and reliability would be most appreciated.

Re: JP LRP-07

JP Rifles are without a doubt some of the finest rifles in production. JP has a very strong presence in 3 Gun and Multigun shooting.

Fit and finish is absolutely second to none. As a matter of fact of the LRP and CTR lines they are like jewelry.

You should easily see sub MOA accuracy with match or handloaded ammo. The two I have shot have been excellent shooters.

As far as weight and balance it really depends on the stock and barrel profile options you choose. Both of the LRP's I have shot were the 18 in midlength guns and I thought they felt very good in the hand and while shooting.

At any rate I have yet to meet someone who has purchased a JP and been dissatisfied (probably 25 or 30 first hand owners and another 75-100 acquaintances).

I can second that, I own two JP built rifles. They are more expensive but they are well worth the extra.

I only have one JP LRO-07, the machineing on the bolt is so incredibly smooth, it feels like glass. It did some .5 and .6 MOA groups at 200 yards last Friday. JP makes an excellent product.
myerfire

I've owned 3 JP rifles, JP15, CTR02, and LRP07. Had 8K rounds through the JP15 before upgrading to the CTR02. Never a malf w/either and both are super accurate. My LRP07 was a 22" .260cal. It was a tack driver, but had to sell for financial reasons. All are awesome and you won't regret the purchase. Nick-

Thank you for all the responses. You guys rock. So I took the plunge last week and ordered my LRP-07H. Was told this morning that it will be shipping today ... woohoo~

I have a CTR-02, and like you guys have stated, JP Rifles look as Majestic as they shoot. State of the Art components melded with top shelf workmanship 2nd to none.

Great choice brother.

I have three of the 18" and one of the 20" in the 5.56 mm and one with a 24" barrell with a 6.5 mm grindle. It was stated before John Paul has his roots in three & multi gun competition so his barrels are contoured to a smalled diameter under the hand guards to make the firearm lighter and point slightly quicker. You can also install a heat sink on the barrell. I noticed on my 6.5 mm grindle, which I was going to use for up to 500 meter steel matches that because of the smalled diameter contour of the barrell and they actually installed a heat sink on that unit, that the barrell is slightly less stable than I would like. You can definitely notice an impact shift from cold to hot, although very small less than 1/2 a minute at 100 yards, it still exists. I have not noticed that on the 5.56 mm and have no experience with the 7.62 mm platform. My only point is that you may want to evaluate if you want a contoured barrell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bwo6.5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have three of the 18" and one of the 20" in the 5.56 mm and one with a 24" barrell with a 6.5 mm grindle. It was stated before John Paul has his roots in three & multi gun competition so his barrels are contoured to a smalled diameter under the hand guards to make the firearm lighter and point slightly quicker. You can also install a heat sink on the barrell. I noticed on my 6.5 mm grindle, which I was going to use for up to 500 meter steel matches that because of the smalled diameter contour of the barrell and they actually installed a heat sink on that unit, that the barrell is slightly less stable than I would like. You can definitely notice an impact shift from cold to hot, although very small less than 1/2 a minute at 100 yards, it still exists. I have not noticed that on the 5.56 mm and have no experience with the 7.62 mm platform. My only point is that you may want to evaluate if you want a contoured barrell. </div></div>

Not trying to be argumentative but more for discussions sake, are you talking about full builds or just using JP barrels? If it is just using the JP barrel on a build I would point to the upper receiver, handguard/barrelnut, etc as to the cause of impact shift. I have not heard any complaints of heat/rd.count related impact shift from those who have complete upper builds from JP.

On my JP CTR 02 I have the 20" barrel that is .650 under the handguards and utilizes JP's heat sink. This gun routinely sees 40-50-60 rd strings on the timer and I do not notice any impact shift. As a matter of fact two years ago I was deep into a third mag on stage 1 at Rocky Mountain 3 Gun and and was still able to get a solid hit on the 600 bonus target with two shots.

The last three rifles are 5.56 mm and the first one is 6.5 mm grindle. The grindle is the one that has the heatsink installed on the barrell. As you can see the JP barrell is reduced in diameter as I said where it goes through the hand gaurd. The barrell below it is a full profile Kriger barrell. One of the problems with putting the heatsink around the barrell is that the barrell is made out of stainless steel and the heatsink is made out of aluminum and both have differenct thermal expansion rates. Don't get me wrong, I like the JP rifle especially when I was just shooting IPSC type matches where they had big targets. When I started playing the tactical game I went to the full profile type barrell like LWRC and POF use. I also really starting liking the piston over gas. Like I say, not trying to influence a purchase decision, just providing information.

DSCN4786.jpg

DSCN4778.jpg

DSCN4779.jpg

DSCN4781.jpg

Thanks for your feedback. The rifle I purchased is chambered in .308 and hopefully will not suffer from the POA/POI shift you noticed on your set-up.

I ordered up a heat-sink this afternoon and look forward to installing it once my LRP-07 is delivered this Friday.

Your observation about the different rate of heat-expansion between the contoured stainless-steel barrel and the aluminum heat-sink is worth a second look.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else noticed this issue with their .308 LRP-07's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BORG_888</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for your feedback. The rifle I purchased is chambered in .308 and hopefully will not suffer from the POA/POI shift you noticed on your set-up.

I ordered up a heat-sink this afternoon and look forward to installing it once my LRP-07 is delivered this Friday.

Your observation about the different rate of heat-expansion between the contoured stainless-steel barrel and the aluminum heat-sink is worth a second look.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else noticed this issue with their .308 LRP-07's.

</div></div>

It would be worth making sure that the heatsink is not unduly binding on either the barrel or against the interior of the forearm. Either of which could easily be causing the shift.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be worth making sure that the heatsink is not unduly binding on either the barrel or against the interior of the forearm. Either of which could easily be causing the shift. </div></div>

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'not unduly binding'; could you please elaborate? Do you mean I should not overly tighten it to the barrel? Is there a recommended torque setting?

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BORG_888</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would be worth making sure that the heatsink is not unduly binding on either the barrel or against the interior of the forearm. Either of which could easily be causing the shift. </div></div>

I don't quite understand what you mean by 'not unduly binding'; could you please elaborate? Do you mean I should not overly tighten it to the barrel? Is there a recommended torque setting?

Thanks.

</div></div>

Borg,

I was thinking along the lines that with the heatsing and barrel having different expansion rates that if the heatsink happens to contact the foream it may then pressure the barrel. As far as unduly binding I was thinking that during installation it may be possible to cross thread a screw or two on the heatsink or some manufacturing anomaly that made the fit to the barrel less than perfect.

With respect to proper torque, I wouldn't know, JP would be the source for that info.

My CTR-02 20 incher had the heat sink installed by JP before it shipped to me. My understanding is that it is just to keep the barrel cooler during rapid fire, thus providing longer-lived barrels. Never noticed any shift in POI in mine, just pounded out the same little groups. Fantastic machine.