• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JP match barrel & Bolt

What is the benefit of having the bolt match the barrel to an AR or 5.56?

To ensure proper headspacing. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

AR's are primarily military-style weapons. As such, their design allows for deliberate tolerances. These tolerances allow "slop" in the design to aid in reliability (a perfect-fitting AR would lock up very quickly in most battle and hard-use conditions). Occasionally, the tolerances of the bolt face and the barrel can "stack," allowing for too little or too much headspace.

Matching the bolt to the barrel simply means that the headspacing has been checked and is good to go.

I already have a JP rifle and am very happy with the weapon system but now I am looking to re-barrel a stock DPMS and wondering if I need a bolt that is fitted to the barrel (this is a 3 gun rifle) biggest match I shot is the pro am

Does it help with accuracy at all?

Answer: it depends.

A tighter headspacing fit can lead to tighter groupings; but, that's not the same as matching the bolt to the barrel. A matched bolt+barrel combo means that a bolt and barrel were picked that were within tolerance. How close they were to a "perfect" tolerance depends on the level of detail that they were matched with and what bolts and barrels were available. The closer the fit, the more conducive it is for tighter grouping.

So, in theory, it should lead to better accuracy. However, it's so miniscule and hard to get a 'perfect match' that it's not something that most view as a critical part of accuracy, especially in the AR platform.

There are some manufacturers that will take a specific bolt, measure it, then ream a barrel to match that bolt perfectly. That would offer the best results, but you have to find a manufacturer that specifically reams the barrels to match the bolt.

Last edited: