• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JP or Larue in 556

ghorsley

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2010
Georgia
I want a 20" JP or Larue in 556. The weapon will be used for punching paper and steel at 300 to 600 yds. No tactical stuff so weight is not an issue. All shooting will be prone or from bench. I have spoken to both companies; JP very accommodating in how you want your build. Larue not so much. JP a bit more expensive. Both have very good customer service ( don't believe everything you hear about Larue). My only interest is accuracy and they seem close.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Please no politics.

Thanks,

Gil Horsley

I've been around both, and if I were in the same shoes, JP. They're both Top tier AR's but I think the extra features of the JP are worth it and give it the edge. There's not may rifles out there that can be run through a 3 gun match, and then flopped down on a bipod and shoot LR equally well. The JP can, and their side charge is just damn nice, especially if you ever plan to supress it.

build your own...

buy a .223 JP EnhancedBolt and LMOS BCG and send it off to krieger so they can fit it to the barrel of your choice..while you wait for your barrel (4-6 weeks) pick up a quality upper and lower receiver set, im diggin the Seekins Precision SP223 AMBI set, but there are tons of good quality sets out there, MEGA, LMT, JP even PSA.. As far as forearms and stocks go that's up to you, it's really important to make your rifle fit you properly. Order a Geissele trigger and a decent scope....go kill paper

I like my Larue that I just received. Fit and finish is excellent.

That being said, I hate no ambi controls on the lower. I also own a KAC Mod 1 and would choose it over the Larue even though the KAC wouldn't punch as pretty a group.

Never held a JP or fired one so I can't say for sure.

I've got both. I'd go larue. The fitment of the upper and lower is incredible. Little more accurate and rugged in my opinion..but I do like the side charge on the Jp. Neither will disappoint.

Thanks all. Apparently these two systems are so close for my intended use I am going for the intangibles. JP was so helpful and accommodating over the phone you felt like you just wanted to business with them. Their salesmen, Ben was his name just wanted to make me happy. Larue was not unfriendly, but you got the feeling you shouldn't ask too many questions. Not quite "take it or leave it", but damn close.

Having owned both and retaining the JP my choice is obvious. JP is a far better choice.
Pat

Jp hands down. Sold my obr, got mine in 6 weeks and that's with a projected 3 week addition for cerakote. Accuracy wise, I think the jp is a little better due to the low mass bolt and highly adjustable gas reg. It's just a solid platform. The medium contour barrel just looks badass. Shooting the jp is more enjoyable.

I work in a gunshop that's the only JP dealer in the state of Idaho. Damn near the entire northwest. I've seen plenty of Larue's and JP's come through. I've shot them over the bench and dynamically in 3 gun.

I used to REALLY want a Larue PredatAR as my 3G rifle, until I discovered JP. It's no contest for how well the JP handles in comparison to the Larue. Jp hands down..

And you are right about the customer service. I sat in line for 16 months for a 7.62 OBR, and 12 months for a PredatAR. Larue just couldn't be bothered with pesky questions like "when am I going to get my rifle?". Larue even dropped their dealer pricing. Not sure if it's back or not, but we are done ordering their rifles.

I talk to the guys at JP weekly (including Ben). They are ALWAYS great to work with.

Last edited:
Having owned both I would say that you would be overall happier with JP, especially the customer service.

Couldn't find jp stickers anywhere. Personal email to Dustin asking where to buy them and he said he'd ship me a few for free. Customer service alone, jp.

Both are very good rifles and both will fit your needs but the J P Rifles have just more Quality built in them plus J P's customer service is without a doubt the Best in the Business. I have an LRP-07 and have had it for 2.5 years and would not sell or trade it for anything. These Rifles are dead accurate and ultra reliable and look pretty damn good too, plus the Side charger puts it over the top.