• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

JP or LMT.308 rifle for tac. competition?

Eric B.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Would a JP or LMT semi-auto in 7.62/.308 Win. be just about the most accurate of that class of rifles <span style="font-style: italic">without</span> doing any additional gunsmithing or parts replacements?

Is LaRue any better in .308?

Re: JP or LMT.308 rifle for tac. competition?

JP hands down for competition shooting. John Paul's rifles are pretty much the standard choice for 3 gun comps. They're fast, accurate, light and extremely well built. LMT is a great rifle - just not intended for competition.

my $0.02

AvsFan
cool.gif

I have owned a LMT MWS with a 16" barrel. It is an excellent firearm, but it quite front heavy. LMT has released a slick rail version of the MWS that is a few ounces lighter. However, I believe it is still front heavy.

JP is well known for making competition rifles. I don't think you can go wrong with them.

I have held a LaRue 7.62 PredatAR at a gunstore. It is amazingly lightweight. Slightly heavier than a Scar 17. It comes with a easily grip-able slick rail. I believe most of the weight savings come at the expense of a thin barrel.

in order of best accuracy: JP, LaRue OBR, LMT(SS Barrel)
in order of durability: LMT, LaRue OBR, JP

also look at FD Defense FD308

They all shoot....

JP, gap, OBR, mws, REPR, ect....

I would go with a OBR if your staying with .308, otherwise a GAP-10 in 6mm/260/6.5 if your open to the high BC loads.

I shot the JP and OBR back to back and couldn't tell you a difference in accuracy. I ended up going with the JP myself for the side charging feature and I did not want a raised top rail with my higher optics like the OBR has.

You can't really go wrong with either though.

I have some trigger time with the LMT also and couldn't get the same level of accuracy. However I'm still adjusting to the semi's and another shooter with a LMT and stainless barrel has been getting close to 1/2" out of his

For tactical style comp any should work for you. JP will probably save you some weight, LMT will save you some cash

I've got both. For competition, get a JP. I ended up using my MWS as more of a long range set-up (big scope, heavy bipod). The JP is very light, shoots extremely well.

If we are walking, I'll take the JP. If we are sitting on top of a hill, the MWS is my pick.

Two very different .308s.

JP's are designed for competition, the other rifles mention were designed to be extremely accurate battle rifles.

Jp... They're side charger is awesome and is you want to run a can you can shut off the gas and use it like a bolt gun without have to leave your sight picture. I'm going to do a build with his .223 side charger & tac latch reciever...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steaminwilly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">in order of best accuracy: JP, LaRue OBR, LMT(SS Barrel)
in order of durability: LMT, LaRue OBR, JP

also look at FD Defense FD308 </div></div>

Not quite sure what this criteria is based on??

I've been shooting JP rifles since the mid-90's and the barrels have always worn out before anything else breaks (after many thousands of rounds). This includes 223 and 308. All have been tremendously reliable and under 1 MOA accurate.

I've also just gotten a 16" OBR which shoots one hole groups at 100yds. No experience with GAP, LMT or Noveske but I'm sure they're great also.

These are all top of the line rifles with earned reputations for accuracy, durability and
reliability. Pick the one you like, put a good optic on it, get to the range and shoot the he'll out of it
smile.gif

JP.....anything you do to it will likely decrease it's capabilities. Besides, Team JP just won another major match....the precision Multigun long range championship.

For a match gun, JP or GAP.

They actually support the shooting sports and tactical competitions.

Nuff said.

I have an OBR and love it - but am really intrigued by the sidecharging capability on the JP. I shot next to guy at a local range who was running his JP and he was shooting great groups (almost as good as my OBR).
I am also very interested in being able to turn off the gas system and run the rifle like a straight pull bolt gun - am actually in the process of building a right-side charger for that same reason. Can't really justify the $900 that JP wants for their upper, so going to have to do it old school and have my standard upper milled out and throw a bolt knob on the BC.

At what distances is everyone comparing these guns. I am looking for what shoots best at 300 yards and up.
Groups at 100 are great but, that this doesn't tell how the do at further distances, do they?

Sorry for the rambling, I like the Jp due to it's ability to
use faster powders. It is a very diverse gas system. The limitations are not as common as other gas guns.

Zach