• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JP or LMT

@CrabsandFootball I don't think 3 gun is supposed to be realistic. It's a game and 3 gun, USPSA, NRL, PRS etc make no claims otherwise. I'm not sure how realistic 25-30lb 6mms are either. They do make me and many others play the PRS game better.

Do you play to win?

You trash 3 gunners pretty hard, maybe it isn't your cup of a tea. I'd imagine Daniel Horner or the like would probably be pretty fair with a precision rifle. I'd wager he'd send you packing with any AR, pistol, or shotgun he could lay his hands on.

There's a lot more opportunity for most people to shoot recreationally than on two way ranges. JP is my vote, a quality product by a company that supports the shooting sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: Busyhawk
A number of the top 3-gun shooters are also the top AR rifle shooters in the world. These are the guys that represent Team USA at international IPSC matches like the Rifle World Shoot, and do fairly well. Look up guys like Daniel Horner, Scott Greene, Joe Farewell, or Kyle Litzie and you'll see how competent they are. In those types of matches, fractions of a second matter, and all of their rifles flat out run with almost 100% reliability without being "duty grade".

And considering the best 3-gunner in the world (Daniel Horner) has also won multiple Mammoth Sniper Competitions, as well as the International Sniper Competition, I'd say the skills transfer over pretty well.

Reactions: Busyhawk
Yeah not looking to do any competitions or stuff like that. Target shooting, varmites, and for. Want accuracy, reliability, durability. It’s an ar so it needs to be able to handle a lot of rounds. I don’t want to spend 2500-3k on a rifle that isn’t that either. Also I do plan eventually attaching a suppressor probably a tbac

if these are your goals, go with LMT. LMT‘s basic barrel will provide you with 1-1.5 MOA consistently with factory ammo and take a beating. if you want sub MOA go LMT with a stainless barrel. Plus LMT hold their value and tend to sell quickly.

JP builds a nice rifle, but they are hard to resell.

@CrabsandFootball I don't think 3 gun is supposed to be realistic. It's a game and 3 gun, USPSA, NRL, PRS etc make no claims otherwise. I'm not sure how realistic 25-30lb 6mms are either. They do make me and many others play the PRS game better.

Do you play to win?

You trash 3 gunners pretty hard, maybe it isn't your cup of a tea. I'd imagine Daniel Horner or the like would probably be pretty fair with a precision rifle. I'd wager he'd send you packing with any AR, pistol, or shotgun he could lay his hands on.

There's a lot more opportunity for most people to shoot recreationally than on two way ranges. JP is my vote, a quality product by a company that supports the shooting sports.

I think the difference is you don't hear PRS or NRL guys calling themselves snipers or the like. They know, shooting within the framework that they do, its not the same as combat, unknown threats, getting shot back at and the 95% of other shit that isin't even related to shooting.

Its common that people who shoot 3 gun or are fans of it will spew off how its comparable to combat shooting or how it vets equipment. Or at least common enough I have seen a pattern.

In a vacuum, I don't have an issue with it as long as you identify it for what it is. A game with guns that has little to do with real world engagements or equipment vetting. It gets people out shooting which is always a great thing and lets people hone some of their shooting skills.

Its the dishonesty in what it really is that I have an issue with. The spandex is just icing on the cake to help prove a point.

Just about anyone who dedicates time and money to a purist can become good at it. It comes down to priorities.

I think the difference is you don't hear PRS or NRL guys calling themselves snipers or the like. They know, shooting within the framework that they do, its not the same as combat, unknown threats, getting shot back at and the 95% of other shit that isin't even related to shooting.

Its common that people who shoot 3 gun or are fans of it will spew off how its comparable to combat shooting or how it vets equipment. Or at least common enough I have seen a pattern.

In a vacuum, I don't have an issue with it as long as you identify it for what it is. A game with guns that has little to do with real world engagements or equipment vetting. It gets people out shooting which is always a great thing and lets people hone some of their shooting skills.

Its the dishonesty in what it really is that I have an issue with. The spandex is just icing on the cake to help prove a point.

Just about anyone who dedicates time and money to a purist can become good at it. It comes down to priorities.

I see a lot more camouflage at PRS matches than I do at 3gun. I have yet to see a steel target shoot back.

Any of those disciplines in the shooting sports have real world applications through improving gun handling.

There is plenty of fantasy that is indulged that goes into the mindset of some of those people that are participating in the shooting sports.

I think the fantasy helps justify the upfront expense in time and resources for some. Are 3 gunners anymore dishonest with themselves than any other shooting discipline?

Sorry for dragging this off into philosophical territory.

OP will be fine w.e. he chooses from the list of manufacturers mentioned.

LMT is by far a more reliable rifle than a JP and one of the beauties is you can have one rifle and a bunch of barrels to do everything. You can get a MLR chassis and then have a 16” chrome lined barrel for a carbine setup and then have a 18-20” SS match barrel swapped in just a minute or two to stretch it out, or even 224V, 300BLK, 6.8SPC, and 204 Ruger.

I’ve been running LMT’s for a long damn time and every tome I’ve strayed I’ve come right back. They just work and I love multi purpose rifles with repeatable quick change barrel systems.

Reactions: Jsp556
Quality field pants that csn stand up to rolling around and also have integral knee pads tend to come in camo patterns.

There is a big difference in someone wearing their hunting/functional clothing vs spandex slathered with advertisements.

Why do they come in camo patterns? I'd wager because it helps support the fantasy.

Why do they come in camo patterns? I'd wager because it helps support the fantasy.
Or maybe the prime function and buyers are the military....not a big market for dedicated prs pants.....expecially when a cots zolution exists.

I think a good pair of carhartts or duluths are pretty tough and functional. A lot less money in most cases than some operator status pants.

What's wrong with dress up games anyway?

I think a good pair of carhartts or duluths are pretty tough and functional. A lot less money in most cases than some operator status pants.

What's wrong with dress up games anyway?
Thats what people who have never blown out crotches or knees with gear on their back would think. They would be wrong.

Thats what people who have never blown out crotches or knees with gear on their back would think. They would be wrong.

The irony here is that Crye pants are absolutely notorious for blown crotches and seat seams. I blew out the crotch on a pair of brand new G3 combat pants in a single weekend field exercise and my buddies on the Teams tell me the same thing, and they put their pants through much more heavy duty usage than I ever will.

The irony here is that Crye pants are absolutely notorious for blown crotches and seat seams. I blew out the crotch on a pair of brand new G3 combat pants in a single weekend field exercise and my buddies on the Teams tell me the same thing, and they put their pants through much more heavy duty usage than I ever will.
And yet thats what they continue to issue and wear becuase they are the best option. Shit happens nothing is invincible. Using the stupid argument that something happened once does not invalidate the entire data set.

If you got a better option that fulfils the requirements im sure everyone would love to know.

Reactions: LV Precision
You might have to wait awhile with LMT, V1 tactical has them pushed back with their reserve spots. I also believe JP runs a discount once a year but someone else would have to confirm that. LMT is probably the better choice for what you are looking for.
Check out the EE on here, good deals to be had with no taxes.
LMT hasn't delivered on a civilian .308 order since April. Don't know about 5.56 availability, though I'd assume similar.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I always need both in my collection. If I had to choose one it would be Lmt. I do have a special place for Lmt because my first ar was an Lmt mrp, and I put almost 20k rounds though it with only a few rings and springs changed through the years.

The LEGO aspect of Lmt is great, being able to change barrels and calibers. While it does not happen often I find myself changing out the barrel and or caliber on one of my lmts once every few years.
Extra barrel aren’t hard to find either as many gun enthusiast own Lmt.

I have a jp rifle in 223 and it’s smooth shooter,and accurate, it’s just more set for competition. It has an aluminum carrier, and limited rail space.
Accuracy wise I really don’t shoot it that much better than my Lmt but I do most of my shooting for speed under 300 yards

How many of you guys play games vs playing for keeps? Answer that question and it will probably answer this thread.

Why is lmt not shipping rifles right now?
Indeterminate. They've gone radio silent. Since blowing past the May/June delivery date, LMT has conducted a masterclass in how to handle a delivery issue as poorly as possible.

Based on what I've seen from three other (non-firearms) manufacturing companies here in the Midwest, I suspect they've had COVID-19 infections and are on the struggle bus balancing shifts, workers, supplier issues, etc.

That makes sense. But with the delays and no word on anything, probably rules out new lmt rifles then. Not gonna wait on a rifle like it’s a suppressor. Can always check used market

JP also makes rifles for LE...and they support the LE with free loaners when and if the officer has to use his rifle in a shooting (the rifle used in a shooting will be locked up for evidence until cleared) so the officer is not without a rifle! I trust JP just like I trust my lighting to Surefire.
Just my .02 but when I need to run suppressed I usually go to my POF piston gun, not the most accurate rifle but will gas is easier to adjust on the fly and clean as hell. Ok, clean as my kitchen.

I'll back up my claim that JP accuracy has suffered with my experience. Before I do that, I have to say I was (and still am) a JP fanboy. Virtually every rifle I own uses an SCS, JP BCG, and JP Handguard. I love most of their products, and I'm a big fan of John the person and his entire organization.

I own 4 JP rifles, 3 in .223 and one in 9mm. One of the .223's is very good. It took about 3x as much work to come up with a good load for it compared to several WOA barreled rifles I own, but once that was complete it's been a fantastic rifle. It's basically a 1/2 minute gun. It's dead reliable and the fit and finish was superb. It's perhaps the best rifle I own. The 9mm is also good. It's shooting into 2" at 100 with a red dot.

The other two .223 rifles suck for accuracy. On both I went to great lengths to try to work up loads that would work in them. Great lengths. Many bullets and powders tested, several emails back and forth with John Paul, etc. In both, the best accuracy I could manage was about 1 1/4 minute. The newest one (14.5" barrel, pinned brake) was so bad I sent it back to JP. They re-barreled it at their expense. The new barrel shot exactly the same as the original. I did some side by side comparison testing against a WOA barreled rifle I put together years ago that has probably 3K rounds down it. I put approximately 10 different loads through both guns, some handloads, some factory. The groups from the WOA were consistently 1/2 the size of the groups from the JP. I finally gave up about 6 months ago and rebarreled it with a Bartlien that the guys at Compass Lake spun up for me.

In addition, a shooting buddy here bought a Valk upper from them about 18 months ago. I'm not as familiar with the details of his story, but the trajectory is the same. He's rebarreling it after sending it back to JP.

I love JP and I hope they solve their problems, but I won't buy another until I have some confidence that they have figured out how to make accurate barrels again. Disclaimer #1: My last barrel from them was about a year ago. The situation may be different now. Disclaimer #2: It's entirely possible I had a run of bad luck with them that is not representative of others' experience. Take from my experience what you will.

I took my JP 6.5G out this morning. Built this year, .86 MOA average out of multiple groups. Some of that is on me, I think the gun is more accurate than I am.

We recently got 11.5” suppressed JPs for SWAT (we’ve had them about 7 months). They have great build quality and QC, but they’re finicky. You’re dealing with very precise tolerances with those guns. It took a lot of tuning of each rifle to get them to run reliably with suppressors. We got them dialed in now, but it took a lot of effort and several range sessions. Granted, the rifles are running adjustable gas blocks and LMOS. That’s something I’m fine with for a precision rifle, but for an entry/patrol rifle, it’s rather annoying. Having helped armor/outfit several agencies and SWAT teams with patrol and entry rifles, the JPs surprised me with how much effort it took to get them set up. Probably the second most problematic rifle I’ve ever had to deal with, but now that they’re dialed in, they’re solid.

Last edited:
We recently got 11.5” suppressed JPs for SWAT (we’ve had them about 7 months). They have great build quality and QC, but they’re finicky. You’re dealing with very precise tolerances with those guns. It took a lot of tuning of each rifle to get them to run reliably with suppressors. We got them dialed in now, but it took a lot of effort and several range sessions. Granted, the rifles are running adjustable gas blocks and LMOS. That’s something I’m fine with for a precision rifle, but for an entry/patrol rifle, it’s rather annoying. Having helped armor/outfit several agencies and SWAT teams with patrol and entry rifles, the JPs surprised me with how much effort it took to get them set up. Probably the second most problematic rifle I’ve ever had to deal with, but now that they’re dialed in, they’re solid.
How did they run (once tuned) compared to other 11.5"s that your department has tried?

Not sure who made that purchasing decision, but really question why they chose LMOS bolt carriers. I love mine on my competition gun, and they're great to minimize recoil, but most "duty" type guns are running heavy on the gas with full-mass bolt carriers to ensure reliability. Alternatively, the use of the adjustable gas blocks and an H2 or H3 buffer (preferably Geissele) would also help slow down the bolt carrier speed and reduce recoil.

There are also other ways to mitigate the gas blowback from suppressor use. This isn't a knock on JP, just need to understand the limitations for the application of the features they offer.

I like to run H&K. Reliable, tank like and the extra weight is an excellent upper body work out, saving me time consuming trips to the gym.

I skipped the JP and bought a LaRue PredatOBR 16". I think I'll go with JP for a longer build like 20". Weight and option wise the LaRue was what I wanted (hybrid "battle" rifle 308).
I'm going to contact them on Monday to see what their wait time is, may end up canceling and going a different route.

Hence the problem with jp rifles with adjustable gas blocks and low mass carriers. Your average person can barely find the controls on a rifle, let alone get a gas block adjusted properly.

To call these guns gun game guns is pure ignorance. To say giving these rifles to 1000 infrantrymen is too big of a task, and it will
require training and checking, possibly so.

I’ve put tens of thousands of rounds though Lmt rifles very few issues I’ve put thousands of rounds through jp rifles no issues either

Not sure who made that purchasing decision, but really question why they chose LMOS bolt carriers. I love mine on my competition gun, and they're great to minimize recoil, but most "duty" type guns are running heavy on the gas with full-mass bolt carriers to ensure reliability. Alternatively, the use of the adjustable gas blocks and an H2 or H3 buffer (preferably Geissele) would also help slow down the bolt carrier speed and reduce recoil.

There are also other ways to mitigate the gas blowback from suppressor use. This isn't a knock on JP, just need to understand the limitations for the application of the features they offer.
I had the same conversation. The decision was made by a couple guys who wanted to Gucci out the gun, and didn’t want to include other guys into the decision about what actually went into the rifles. They also refused to delay the order one month so that we could be the first agency to run JP’s new MLOK handguard, so we still have their old tube handguards with their proprietary attachment system. Which means running picatinny attachments.

How did they run (once tuned) compared to other 11.5"s that your department has tried?

For agency-wide patrol rifles, we got a massive deal on contract overrun Sig Sauer 516 11.5” SBRs that Sig cut us, along with optics. We have a relationship with Sig, so that was always going to be the new patrol rifle and at first it was supposed to be the MCX until the deal on the 516’s came around. Suppressed those as well and we’ve really had no problems with them. Granted, the patrol rifles don’t see nearly as much use as the SWAT rifles. We’ve been running the Colt 6940 for a while on patrol, and 6942 11.5” for SWAT until SWAT shot out their rifles. The Colts were not great. We tested some MCX’s when we were looking at agency-wide patrol rifles instead of individually-certified rifle operators, and the MCX for the most part was pretty solid.

At my last agency, we tested a lot of rifles and the winner wound up being the HK416D 10.5”. I hate HK for a lot of reasons, but the HK416 runs when it’s supposed to run.

Most problematic rifle has always been DPMS. They’re pure garbage, but since they were a MN brand, we had a lot of agencies that kept picking them up because they didn’t know any better and harkened back to the old days of the rule of ABCD (Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, DPMS) for AR15s, which we know stopped being relevant in about 2005. As an armorer, I’ve had to help problem solve with these rifles, and the irony is that it’s relatively easy to diagnose DPMS problems because they all have the same problems (usually related to poor QC).

SCAR 16 CQC was cool. It ran well. It’s also a novelty and financial money pit.

And then I’ve tested various other custom ARs, including years ago when my agency played with a 7.5” PDW concept for us to use in undercover/drug task force operations. A 7.5” rifle in 5.56 is a gong show, to say the least. This was when 6.8SPC had come onto the scene, but well before .300BLK, so has .300BLK been out at that time, we’d have a couple of those.

Hence the problem with jp rifles with adjustable gas blocks and low mass carriers. Your average person can barely find the controls on a rifle, let alone get a gas block adjusted properly.

To call these guns gun game guns is pure ignorance. To say giving these rifles to 1000 infrantrymen is too big of a task, and it will
require training and checking, possibly so.

I’ve put tens of thousands of rounds though Lmt rifles very few issues I’ve put thousands of rounds through jp rifles no issues either
JP makes good guns, and we like that they’re made a couple miles away. You can see the quality in them. I would have no issues running it for A duty rifle, and many agencies here in MN do. The key is getting them outfitted properly, which tends to be a bit more problematic when you outfit the gun like a game gun and not a duty gun. Adjustable yes, LMOS no. It’s only a game gun if you outfit it like a game gun.

The JP15 is duty capable. I would never run a LRP07 as a battle rifle, but there are in fact some being run overseas as SASRs.

Reactions: LV Precision
Would you guys recommend for a large frame JP, a fmos and with what buffer? What would be ideal to balance reliability and recoil

With the JP, you’re looking at one of the fastest cyclic rates you can get from an AR-15 if you go with their gas, recoil, and fire control systems.

If you need really fast splits that have their place in a practical setting, as well as competition, then it’s really the gold standard from which every other billet receiver set, adjustable gas, tuned trigger, tuned recoil system, free-floated barrel company tries to reach for when imitating much of what was pioneered and continually evolved by JP.

Before JP, there was nobody of note producing any of the above. The closest you had to it was Wilson Combat forged receivers, precision-fit with zero slop, free-floated, fluted barrels, and a CMC cassette trigger, nice teflon coated color options, really great little blasters during the ban era with excellent fit/feel/finish.

But JP really took the AR-15 into totally outside-the-box territory with their brakes, triggers, handguards, receivers, gas systems, and overall build focus. They have standard weight BCGs of their own design with a really smooth finish, all high quality parts. Their barrels are cryogenically treated which has the more practical value of extending barrel life. Their ventilator radiator fins actually work in shedding heat away from the barrels as well.

If you’re looking for a really trick AR-15 that pushed the envelope in performance, they are a great company to go with.

If you’re looking to spend similar money for a more basic forged set AR-15 with some other features, then the other brands mentioned here will work well and retain value as well.

Reactions: RickyRodney
I just receiver a Centurion MK11 receiver set, debating what to do with it. Debating caliber