• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

JP SCS Question

jda2631

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
Mississippi
I just finished a 308 build, with adjustable gas block and the H2 version of the 308 SCS.

Having an adjustable gas block, is there any reason to mess with the additional spring pack for the SCS from JP?

Would putting the heaviest spring in there and then adjusting the gas block to make it function properly be a good idea? Or the lightest spring weight?

It is my belief, and it could be wrong, is to use the heaviest spring you can get away with . I think a heavier spring closes the bolt more consistently. If you are shooting 3 gun with it and need the rifle to be flat while shooting, try the lighter springs.

If you bought the Heavy version of the SCS to start with, it’s already got the heaviest spring in it. The Spring Pack will get you another heavy spring same as you have, and two different lighter ones.

If you bought the Heavy version of the SCS to start with, it’s already got the heaviest spring in it. The Spring Pack will get you another heavy spring same as you have, and two different lighter ones.

The heavy buffer comes with the heaviest spring? Good to know.

I'm new to the SCS and changing springs in the buffer. What is the benefit of a lighter spring or heavier spring?

The heavy buffer comes with the heaviest spring? Good to know.

I'm new to the SCS and changing springs in the buffer. What is the benefit of a lighter spring or heavier spring?

In your case because of an adjustable gas block, it would be different recoil impulse duration. I bought the spring kit to see how it changes things and prefer the heavy spring. The cycling action is slower with softer springs. I like how the heavy spring cycles the gun faster and returns it to a non-moving state ASAP.

I have SCS in 3 large frame rifles, and I have done some experimentation with the different springs and also swapping steel/tungsten weights. In the end, I found heaviest spring and 2 tungsten 1 steel (exactly how the SCS Heavy comes standard) works best for me in my rifles. I adjust gas to match, but this has gotten me good ejection pattern/timing, reliability, and helps get rid of ejector marks and case head smear.