• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JP SCS vs A5 for AR10

Vinnie45ACP

Unapologetic Patriot!
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2021
Virginia
Changing out Buttstock and while doing so wanted to get a better recoil system for my AR10 RIG. IT will be Suppressed, however it is not at this time. I have read only one thread and it all pertained to the AR15 platform and I know they can definitely act and be different when it comes to these things. for those that have had experience with either or both systems on a AR10 platform, please give send me your comments and recommendations as well as the recommended specific setup as well as pro's and con's to both or verses each other.

Following as I’m building my AR10 right now too…

You're complicating your life with the suppressor

Either way, get the SCS because you can really tune the shit out of the buffer system. From changing the individual three weights around to different combos of steel and tungsten to using their spring pack with different spring rates

My Creedmoor was an untamed beast till i put an SCS in and became comfortable with a more reasonable muzzle velocity with 130s

If you're one of these guys that plans to suppress a 6.5 or 6 and push heavies at bolt gun velocities you're going to be dealing with issues the entire time, it just doesn't work that way with autos

You're complicating your life with the suppressor

Either way, get the SCS because you can really tune the shit out of the buffer system. From changing the individual three weights around to different combos of steel and tungsten to using their spring pack with different spring rates

My Creedmoor was an untamed beast till i put an SCS in and became comfortable with a more reasonable muzzle velocity with 130s

If you're one of these guys that plans to suppress a 6.5 or 6 and push heavies at bolt gun velocities you're going to be dealing with issues the entire time, it just doesn't work that way with autos
Well first, no it’s a .308, and second I don’t need to, but would like to suppress it, my 300 blk out is 100% suppressed all the time and I love it. But yes I have heard big gas guns can have issues. So far I have had zero with my blackout.

The blackout is a much smaller cartridge, on a smaller platform, and it was designed to be run suppressed

Doing the same with large guns is doable and you'll get a dozen guys in here in short order saying it's no big deal but their pockets last three firings and they're destroying brass with the ejector because they're not timed properly

I'd look heavily at one of the huxwrx cans if you're going to do it anything that let's you vent excess gas and pressure because there's going to be a lot of it if you put a can on it.

You're also going to need to lube the fuck out of it to keep it cycling properly and locking into and unlocking from battery as it fouls up from the carbon, suppressors are fuckin' atrocious when it comes to dirtying up the gun

Reactions: Vinnie45ACP
The SCS is the way to go. It’s easy to tune as mentioned above, and really helps get the recoil flattened out. One thing I will recommend is that if you go the SCS route, get a spare set or two of the o-rings. Once they get some wear on them they flatten out and can start to drag in the buffer tube. Change them out as part of a regular maintenance schedule and you won’t have any problems.

Get the intermediate (A5) length receiver extension. If you go with the JP SCS, you will have to cut down and use the spacer that JP includes when using the SCS in a rifle length RE. If you don't go with the SCS, you will have the option to use the same buffer and spring set-up that KAC, LMT, Noveske, ArmaLite and other .308 large frame manufacturers use. Those would typically be an H3 (sometimes H2) buffer and 308/AR10 rifle spring. If you end up needing an extra heavy buffer for suppressed, you can get an H4 or XH.