• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

A5 vs JP SCS

SkepticalTiger

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2022
Austin,TX
Building a new gucci lower and am a bit torn between two buffer systems for an upper with a CORE 11.5 running a HUXWRX FLOW 556k with a non-adjustable GB. I already have the JP SCS, but it's not installed into anything yet.

I'm debating the benefit between running an A4 with a JP SCS vs an A5 with the correct weighted buffer. Anyone able to chime in? I like the A5 for the improvements it brings, but not sure if it's that's much or any better than a carbine with a JP SCS.

looking at this myself. Im running a 14.5" KAC and dont have an adjustable GB. Its way overgassed with an H3 and was looking at the JP SCS. I hope i can make it heavy enough to work because its spendy.

looking at this myself. Im running a 14.5" KAC and dont have an adjustable GB. Its way overgassed with an H3 and was looking at the JP SCS. I hope i can make it heavy enough to work because its spendy.
Go with the adjustable weight kits with the adjustable spring kit. Not cheap but it’s great.

I’m running an A5 system on my mk18 and it definitely smooth things out vs a standard buffer. I like it very much. I have a scs on my pcc but that’s way different.

I have the VLTOR, JP SCS, and Armaspec SRS in different builds and to be quite honest I can’t tell a lick of difference between any of them. You could literally swap them around and I’d never know it.

You can *maybe* get the A5 to make more noise than the other two if you shake it hard enough for the spring to slap the interior of the buffer tube, but when firing they all sound and feel the same 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Simonsza1
I've shot both back to back swapping lowers, suppressors, etc.

The lack of noise on the scs is nice.

I think a gamer could tune the scs for faster spit times if you're into that.

IMO the A5 has a much larger window of ideal ejection / recoil impulse relative to the scs.

For instance the A5 did fine with a nomad l and bare muzzle on my 16" middy fixed gas block, whereas the scs was way over gassed with the can, or wouldn't lock back bare.

Similar observations hold true regarding 55-77 grain loads. I hate screwing with stuff these days so I just run the A5, but both have advantages.

Recoil impulse is pretty different between the two. Both are good but A5 for me these days.

For that setup I'd go a5 and never have to think about anything with or without a can. Sounds nice.

Reactions: Westcoast308
Almost seems like it's worth going with the A5 buffer tube and then trim the SCS extension down to fit the A5 length. Have the best of both worlds less the added LOP. Can still use the SCS but also have the option of an A5 buffer.

Reactions: Eric_F
I've had both, I'm on team A5. More consistent ejection, smoother impulse, the longer spring that doesn't compress as much can be stiffer and slightly delay unlocking, etc.

I kept one scs and use it on a 300blk that is basically 90% suppressed subs.

I've swapped everything else to A5 and all future builds I'll be using it unless surefire re-releases the obc.

I as well run all vltor A5 it’s a no fiddle flawless running system.

I really like the A5, They were developed for the Marine Corps in order to replace A2 fixed stock on 20" barreled m16s with an adjustable stock. run them on everything and am a firm believer that all carbine receiver extensions should be of this length.