• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

JP Trigger

head2h2o

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2008
Houston, TX
Anyone using the JP Trigger in their AR? What is the advantage of the hammer and anti-walk pins? I'm trying to get the feel of the Jewell triggers in my bolt guns in an AR platform. I have been running a Geissele on an LR 308 and it is not a Jewell. Any recommendations for a high quality trigger with a smooth pull or what to do to the one that I have to make it more like the triggers I run on my bolt guns? Thanks.

Re: JP Trigger

I run a JP in my 3 gun AR but I dont use the pins, I feel it is the best single stage trigger on the market. The low mass hammer is useful if you use their low mass bolt and adjustable gas block, the idea is to have less mass recoiling back thus less felt recoil. It isnt necessary, the trigger work fine with standard hammers. Many guys prefer a 2 stage and the Geissele is the best out there.

did you just wake the fuck up????

this topic has been beaten to hammered dog snot for years......

YES the jp trigger and low mass high speed hammer best replicates what a tweeked bolt gun trigger is or should be.....just be sure to junk the gorrilla springs and do the yellow 3.5lb springs.......

your welcome.

I have the JP Trigger in my AR10 and a set of JP springs on my AR15 trigger and LOVE both setups. I don't however have any anti-walk pins and personally don't feel they are necessary.

Make sure for an AR10 that you use the red hammer spring and yellow trigger spring. Yellow hammer springs could cause light primer strikes so if you are buying used or are piecing together or whatever keep that in mind.

I have one rifle left with a JP trigger and hammer.

I have converted over to Geissele on all my other rifles.

Use the JP pins if you want. I like the KNS non-rotating pins.

I've got a JP adjustable in one of my LR-308 lowers, however I just bought a lower with a Jard in it, and it's better by far. The anti-walk pins aren't absolutely necessary but they make me feel much better about my trigger pins never coming out on their own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did you just wake the fuck up????

</div></div>

What a fine display of intelligence!

Thanks guys. The information is helpful. It doesn't seem like the hammer and anti-walk pins are necessary. It also seems that I may need a smith to look at the Geissele. It is just not as smooth on the second stage as it should be. The trigger pull still seems a little heavy. When I was setting it up, increasing the trigger seemed to be the only way to stop it from cycling the bolt again and making it safe. This was after setting the sear engagement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
(snip)... It also seems that I may need a smith to look at the Geissele. It is just not as smooth on the second stage as it should be. The trigger pull still seems a little heavy. When I was setting it up, increasing the trigger seemed to be the only way to stop it from cycling the bolt again and making it safe. This was after setting the sear engagement. </div></div>

In other words you mean the hammer is riding the bolt home? Is the disconnector assembled and installed properly (check the 2nd stage adjustment spring/plunger for binding)?

The GA hi-speed trigger isn't "smooth" on the second stage (break stage). It's crisp with a relatively short overtravel. In other words its a short first stage take up then a STOP...no creep, no smoothness whatsoever just a definitive STOP then click. But hey, if you don't like it I'll take it off your hands for hmmmm $180/$200 shipped as long as it has all the tools/pins/oil/grease that it's supposed to come with.
wink.gif
(No, I'm serious just PM me.)

IMO it's better than the jewell triggers for the AR platforms. Before there were only the Jewells now that GA made their Hi-speed trigger, there's no need for the Jewell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pupdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
head2h2o said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(snip)... It also seems that I may need a smith to look at the Geissele. It is just not as smooth on the second stage as it should be. The trigger pull still seems a little heavy. When I was setting it up, increasing the trigger seemed to be the only way to stop it from cycling the bolt again and making it safe. This was after setting the sear engagement. </div></div>

In other words you mean the hammer is riding the bolt home? Is the disconnector assembled and installed properly (check the 2nd stage adjustment spring/plunger for binding)?

The GA hi-speed trigger isn't "smooth" on the second stage (break stage). It's crisp with a relatively short overtravel. In other words its a short first stage take up then a STOP...no creep, no smoothness whatsoever just a definitive STOP then click. </div></div>

That's it. The first stage pull it like it is supposed to be, then I start to feel creep as I pull into the second stage and it is just heavy. There is not that clean break in the second stage. It creeps, then breaks and it feels like I have to pull almost 4-5 lbs to get it to break, so something has to be wrong. I will check the disconnector and look for any binding when I get home. Thanks.

The heavy second stage weight is because of the adjustment screw being too tight. I'd bet that if you backed out the 2nd stage adjustment screw till the screw is flush with the disconnector then it'll be normal again. Given of course if you're sear engagement is how it should be. If it isn't then you'll have to start all over with the sear adjustment procedure.

Read the instructions VERY well, over and over again and you should be able to work it out. The most complaints I've seen with the GA hi-speed trigger is mostly from shooters that don't know how to set it up properly.

An overly tight 2nd stage adjustment screw WILL cause the spring and plunger to bind which will result in the disconnector spur NOT being able to latch over the hammer to hold it (because there is no range of motion left for the disconnector to move). Back out the 2nd stage adjustment screw (the smallest allen wrench) counter-clockwise until the top of it sits just about flush with the disconnector.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did you just wake the fuck up????

YES the jp trigger and low mass high speed hammer best replicates what a tweeked bolt gun trigger is or should be.....just be sure to junk the gorrilla springs and do the yellow 3.5lb springs.......

your welcome.</div></div>
What an A--Hole. I guess you can be one when you have a few thousand post or is it when you think your a sniper with a $3500 rifle. This why people move from sites. This is how they act over at ar15.com.

If you manage to last around here for any length of time you will find humor in BR's post like I do
smile.gif
One thing about BR there ain't no politically correct horseshit pacifying coddling, just the plain assed truth with no gray, black and white, just the way many of us that have been here awhile like it. Also if you would have been here awhile and done a search you will find out that what he said is true. Most just 'axe' the same old beginner questions as they are too lazy to search or read a few pages.

Oh, and besides all them posts he has also managed to shoot 4-5 boxes of ammo up, and while I don't know him personally I think he hits what he is aiming at with a bit of regularity. Now I said "bit", he can't do it "all day long" like so many of the newbies claim
smile.gif

You don't have enough posts yet to bark too loud do you??? LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: juliomorris</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">did you just wake the fuck up????

your welcome.</div></div>
What an A--Hole. I guess you can be one when you have a few thousand post or is it when you think your a sniper with a $3500 rifle. This why people move from sites. This is how they act over at ar15.com. </div></div>

Actually BR is just a little bit of a weeder...if your panties are too thin from him then it keeps the riff raff out.

I do have to agree with you though, as more and more people join here it does get more and more like arf.com (although I haven't visited there in a couple of years)

Smoke you may be right but the guy was only asking a question. If you keep insulting people just to weed you will end up like Arf. Its statements like his that i quit going there.

As for the question i like the CMC triggers. They seem more like my bolt gun.