• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Judging Rifle, Judging Shooter, Accuracy

tikka6.5

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
When checking the accuracy of a rifle (new, used or surplus, iron sights or scope), what is the minimum distance to the target you should be shooting at to rule out human error. How many shots are needed? How long between shots?

The trick of the above question is "rule out human error" or shooters ability. I know that is going to vary between shooters. So how does one determine their own shooting ability and factor that in when trying to access the accuracy of the rifle?

I am just getting into target shooting, I use to just hunt or plink at rocks or steel gongs. Now that I have a nice spotting scope and am reloading, shooting paper is not as boring as when I had to walk back and forth seeing where I hit.

I am currently working up reloads for my Tikka T3 6.5x55, M9130 7.62x45R and my Yugo M95 223 AK. I have been shooting 5 rounds and am seeing a trend, I have been getting one flier on several of the 5 shot groups. Do I rule the flier out as human error or could there be an issue with rifle, like not waiting for barrel to cool down between shots? I am taking too many shots? Should I at this point take my best loads for each rifle and concentrate on finding my own shooting ability and then go back to working up better loads later?

Last edited:
Learning how to post multi posts. Not sure why the third pic is loaded on its side.

In order left to right: 100 yrs.
Tikka T3 Scope, M95 AK iron sights, M9130 iron sights, Tikka T3 scope

Attachments

• IMG_0403.jpg
    IMG_0403.jpg
    641.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0404.jpg
    IMG_0404.jpg
    695.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    611.5 KB · Views: 14