• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Jumping to a chassis...?

craigp40

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2005
SW PA
Gents, looking for a little input here...
I've been doing this tactical shooting thing for a while now. Most of my precision guns wear either a McMillan A5 or Manners T5 stock mostly because the whole chassis thing wasn't hugely popular or was very pricey when I had them built. Lately, I've been thinking about trying one out but just wondering if it's truly worth it. If I do it, this would replace a Manners MCS-T5 (non-adjustable) that I have on a custom 260Rem. I want to either go the chassis route or simply send the Manners back to add the adjustability (LOP and Cheek). I'm checking on whether the cheek adjustment can be retrofitted...

The Manners modification option will cost me but certainly less than a chassis replacement. For those of you that have made the jump from these higher end stocks to a chassis system, did it offer significant advantages for you? Would you ever go back to a Manners or McMillan type stock?

I know it's best to shoot a few before making the jump and I'll try to do that when the weather warms up, if I can find someone that has a good one. Just gathering data at this point. I can see the advantage to switch on a new build since no bedding or bottom metal is needed but this T5 I have already has both.

Try and handle a couple guns mounted in chassis to help you decide - it's not a one size fits all deal. Personally I'm a chassis guy in my preference but some folks prefer a more traditional stock. I have a lot of shooting buddies and family with both chassis and stocks and still had a hell of a time deciding which way to go after handling a lot of different options. I like a chassis because I can literally bolt any buttstock, grip, rail, accessory, etc. on and try anything without sending my chassis out for mods and it's easy to change weight, balance, LOP, etc without making a permanent change.

I love the versatility.

VooDoo

With limited chassis experience, I feel like chassis try to make a traditional bolt gun feel more like an AR - some love it, some don't.

I have a few chassis guns but am always more comfortable behind a conventional bolt gun stock. In the end, it comes down to what works best for you. As said above, try to get behind a chassis or 2 before you make the jump.

For me, the chassis doesn't do anything that a good Manners or McMillan fails to accomplish. That said, the adjustability and "accessorizing" ability of a chassis is something that traditional stocks simply do not offer. Then again, I don't bolt shit to my traditionally stocked guns, nor do I anticipate the need to.

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
I have a manners for my 7-08 and .260. I can't bring myself to duct tape extra foam on it for a better check weld. I just got a MDT ESS for my 6.5 and I am seriously considering getting one for my 7-08 to start. It was easy to set up perfectly and the check weld is awesome. So, right now I am in favor of chassis systems.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
I think chassis are the way to go.

A Manners/Foundation or really any traditional stock is nice if it's ordered exactly as one wants (and can see into the future a little lol): in that it fits or can be adjusted to fit perfectly, is weighted/balanced perfectly, and has everything "just so" to where you're set and don't need any other options...but, if down the road you change your mind or change components and need to change something... you're kinda stuck.

That said, if you decide to go with a chassis be aware that IMHO none of them out there are on a Manners' type level feel-wise out of the box, so plan on adding goodies you'll need in weights/gadgets/etc to make it "bespoke" and then you'll be surprised.

I prefer stocks since they don't get too hot or cold, and I like the recoil impulse.

In your situation I would just add the adjustability and be done.

It can be a pain in the butt getting parts together, finding a smith to put it all together, and then all time you spend waiting for a custom stock to be finished. I wouldn't want to go down that road again. My advice is wether you get a chassis or a stock, get one that is completely decked out from the beginning and avoid all the waiting, and shipping things off.

I prefer stocks since they don't get too hot or cold, and I like the recoil impulse.

Same here, but I am comfortable behind a KRG Bravo. The plastic textured skin makes it feel less like a chassis.

I'm kind of thinking about a GRS Warg.
My ex brother in law, still a good mate, is raving about it.
Not having any issues with my rifle to warrant it though.... but it looks nice.

There are guys that retrofit stocks with adjustable. I have done mine.

Is stockdoc the guy mentioned on the hide?

I am a stock guy, its a preference thing. But, I am warming up to running more chassis. I really liked the feel of the ARC Xylo cause it feels like a stock when gripping and shooting.

There are guys that retrofit stocks with adjustable. I have done mine.

Is stockdoc the guy mentioned on the hide?

I am a stock guy, its a preference thing. But, I am warming up to running more chassis. I really liked the feel of the ARC Xylo cause it feels like a stock when gripping and shooting.
Yes it's the stockdoc. His name is Joe Ducos. He's actually got my A6 right. Hes done work for me in the past and does a great job.

Same here, but I am comfortable behind a KRG Bravo. The plastic textured skin makes it feel less like a chassis.

I dig the Bravo and not just for the money either, after adding weights/arca rail/spigot/etc now it suits my needs perfectly and feels/works legit. And it's nice that if I were to go to their Whisky chassis I could keep all my same goodies to reuse instead of having to track it down again. But, can't go as crazy with the weights with the KRG's as with some of the others' chassis though.

I think I would love a MCS-TCS with steel rail, weights, and all the other bells and whistles, but I am afraid to know how long I'd have to wait for one... and I'd like to handle one IRL before dropping that kind of coin...

If were to go all in on a chassis system right now I'd go MDT ACC, most options I think, I haven't loved their stuff but an ACC folder with all the goodies would be sweet.

For the OP, really anything you put into getting the gun to fit/work better for you will be worth it no matter which road you take to get there.

I ended up machining this chassis for my 7mm RM. I was shooting for a specific weight and the commercially available one didn't meet my goal. I fitted an AI buttstock on it and love it. I ended up about a pound heavy but that will be easy enough to correct. I just need to remove a little material under the barrel.
20201010_174240.jpg
20201010_174240.jpg

It's definitely a huge preference thing. The adjustability of chassis' can be amazing, but also, IMO, sometimes a huge pain in the ass. I've fussed and fiddled with buttpad cant, and height, enough to realize finally that I just like it in the same place it is on my McMillian z10. Haha.

I really think the biggest adjustability requirements should be cheekpiece height and preferably some side to side, to get YOUR facial structure perfectly behind YOUR glass. And I'm fine with set it and forget it LOP. I never seem to have the need to change stock length on the fly. And I'd prefer not to have buttpad height or cant because I don't chnage them anyway.

For those reasons I prefer a stock, but they are way harder to add weight to should you want a heavier rifle.

Thanks for all the input guys. I heard back from Manners and it seems they can do the addition of the adjustable LOP with a 3-4 week lead time but cannot retrofit it for the an adjustable cheek rest. I was a bit surprised at that, but oh well. Just gotta make the decision now. A buddy of mine just picked up a Tikka T3x TAC A1 that I may try to shoot next weekend to get an idea of feel. Hopefully, that solidifies the decision one way or the other. If I go the chassis route, the two I've narrowed down to are the KRG Whiskey 3 and surprisingly the Magpul Pro 700. That's another level of research though to finalize...

Thanks for all the input guys. I heard back from Manners and it seems they can do the addition of the adjustable LOP with a 3-4 week lead time but cannot retrofit it for the an adjustable cheek rest. I was a bit surprised at that, but oh well. Just gotta make the decision now. A buddy of mine just picked up a Tikka T3x TAC A1 that I may try to shoot next weekend to get an idea of feel. Hopefully, that solidifies the decision one way or the other. If I go the chassis route, the two I've narrowed down to are the KRG Whiskey 3 and surprisingly the Magpul Pro 700. That's another level of research though to finalize...
Email Joe Ducos and see if he can fit an adjustable cheek piece.