• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just 1 rifle?

TheBigCountry

Green Weenie
Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2013
    I’m at an interesting point. I’m thinking about/beginning to condense most of my stuff and I’m really wanting one solid, do-it all bolt rifle.

I currently am sitting on an Origin/Bravo/TT build in 308. While I like it, I realized that with the 24” barrel and a can stuck on, it’s muzzle heavy. Plus, I don’t see myself changing barrels/bolt heads/calibers. So I’m kinda wondering if it’s worth keeping around.

A solid, bulletproof, 18-20” 308 in a stock, either Manners or McMillan, would probably do 90%+ of what I’m aiming at for the foreseeable future, especially with twins on the way.

Is this a crazy idea? If not, is there a rifle just like I’m thinking of you can think of? (GAP Gladius or an older FN SPR A1A come to my mind right off the bat).

Reactions: godofthunder
    (not mine just something I pulled off the internet)
    D25120DF-CB00-473D-897E-C9B5D107AAC6.jpeg

I like bighorn actions so I wouldn’t sell it.

put up the barrel and bravo on the px. Order a barrel the length and contour you want and a manners or whatever you want. If that doesn’t work sell that and try again until you find what works for you.

I tried this and came to the conclusion I can’t have just one rifle

I just ran one rifle in 260 for years.
    I kinda need two rifles now because a 260 is kinda anemic past a mile and a 7mm or 338 is kinda bit much for the 400-1000 stuff with any volume of round counts.

Just buy a lighter 18” barrel and keep your current barrel in the safe. You never know when you might want to put it back on.

I vote on the 20" w/ McMillan. Fits my bill for most things with plenty of barrel life to take you until you want another change. Mine is balanced a little rear of the bipods on a McMillan A5. If keeping the can maybe go 18", I'm not sure how much a 4 inch difference will make if weight is the concern.

I'd go 20". I'm with the others suggesting the barrel and chassis/stock swap, keep the action. A TacOps would be tits but good luck finding one or having to wait a year should you order lol.

• Haha
    Reactions: onethousandmeters
    I'd say cut down the barrel if it's got a lot of life left in it or get a shorter one, and/or add weight to the ass end of the Bravo with steel LOP spacers, done. I'd rather a Bravo over a Manners, except/unless you just want a Manners, which is cool too.

I couldnt do it. Love my 338 even thought its not a do all rifle. I like to varmit hunt so i like my .222 and 243, i like to hog and deer hunt so i like my 270 and 308, they all have a place where i need them. I can easily pick one semi auto rifle, or lever action, or pistol... but shotguns and bolt guns are tools. You can never have too many tools.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
    Since it's an origin, why not get a new prefit? Either that or get the current barrel shortened to 18-20".

For the money, I'd probably go with a prefit though.
    I’m thinking of just having the barrel chopped down and re-threaded. Gonna see who can do it, and possibly throwing it into a Manners.

It's about $100 for the threading around here... not sure about the cost to cut.

In 2016 I had a 20" Dasher built for this exact purpose...short enough to hunt whitetail with a can, enough smash to hit steel at 1000 yards.

dsqD1kq.jpg

If factory ammo is a consideration, 6GT/6 Creedmoor/6.5 Creedmoor would be my preferred options.
    What stock is that? Looks really good.

You can't just have one, that's un-Murekan. Get the fudd out here. I 'sppose you married and you're completely happy with that too?
    While I get the sarcasm, putting my twins first for a few years is more of a priority then having a bunch of stuff just lingering in the safe. Plus the ability to save up for something like a TacOps or even an AI.

Reactions: tex68w
    You do what you want to do. No one here is going to be able to get in your head to determine what's best for you. You know the type of shooting you do, you know what type of shooting you like to do, you know what's best for you.
    Wish I could like this post 10 more times.

I plan on condensing again towards 1 main precision rifle this year which will involve a 16"-18" 6.5CM barrel because I went back to school. If you know what your task is, what trade offs you are willing to make, and can live with the compromises after, go for it.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
    Reactions: TheBigCountry
    I’m at an interesting point. I’m thinking about/beginning to condense most of my stuff and I’m really wanting one solid, do-it all bolt rifle.

A solid, bulletproof, 18-20” 308 in a stock, either Manners or McMillan, would probably do 90%+ of what I’m aiming at for the foreseeable future, especially with twins on the way.

Is this a crazy idea
    Yes, the .308 you outline will do everything you need it to do.

That said, after 20 years of posting and seeing other people post threads like this, please realize it's just your subconscious tricking you into sellling a bunch of guns (or not), then buying the new "final" gun. Then, over the next 5 years buying a bunch more guns.

Still, it's all good. Other versions of the same thing involve swapping all over to CRF. Or all over to left hand only. You get the idea. Good excuse to buy some new stuff, with potentially less guilt because it's "your last gun" or the "only gun you'll need". Plus, it feels so clean and virtuous to be shedding all that equipment (even if in reality it ends up happening only in your mind). Or maybe you do sell off a bunch of stuff you've had the good luck to enjoy and now you'll try some other cool stuff.

But who REALLY wants to live with only one rifle? Don't you need a .22. A .22 rifle. And pistol. And a varmint rifle/.223/AR? And a centerfire handgun? And a shotgun...plus you'll need to put something away for the twins when they're older...

The only reason pistols and shotguns exist is so you can fight your way to a rifle.

If you want only one, a ~20" barreled 308 will do you well. Obviously, you have plenty of choices when it comes to what cartridge you get, but something easy to shoot and is easy to find ammo for will allow you to shoot more. More you shoot, better you are.

Beware of the man with just one gun... he probably knows how to use it.

Reactions: onethousandmeters
    I was in a similar situation like you after my first child. I had two match rifles that became safe queens and no longer had the time for matches, constant reloading, brass prep, and all day matches away from home.

With the current ammo and reloading component situation I went with 308 because it was the most I had on hand. I also wanted a stick that I could hunt with and shoot an occasional match with when I had the time.

The 20” 308 fits my situation perfect. The only time I miss a heavy match rifle is when the match I’m in has many targets past 800 and that’s pretty rare where I’m located.

Attachments

• 804A45C6-9155-4D7B-A2DC-6B245CE04B87.jpeg
      804A45C6-9155-4D7B-A2DC-6B245CE04B87.jpeg
      834.7 KB · Views: 64
    The biggest problem with owning just one rifle will be having to sit around and twiddle your thumbs while it cools down at the range. If this is just for hunting, a single rifle chambered in 308 will be perfectly capable of meeting your needs.

Reactions: Kimber.204
    So I may need to digress here, when I say “just one rifle”, I mean one big-bore caliber or so. I have a decent 22 in a CZ, and a 556 or two.

I am seeking out a smith to have the barrel chopped to run what I have and invest more in ammo.

Consider it from this aspect. In 15 maybe 20 years the kiddo's will be grown and gone. Hopefully ;) .
    With the political picture going the way it is, will you be able to replace that which you now so casually consider disposing of.

Trying to be positive I hope so. Being realistic??? not so much. Id hang onto all I could.

YMMV

Consider it from this aspect. In 15 maybe 20 years the kiddo's will be grown and gone. Hopefully ;) .
    With the political picture going the way it is, will you be able to replace that which you now so casually consider disposing of.

Trying to be positive I hope so. Being realistic??? not so much. Id hang onto all I could.

YMMV
    I fully get that. Only time will tell. I consider all this stuff investment for the children anyways so as much as I can hang onto, the better.

Building rifles is, to me, really expensive. I'm in middle of a project that started when I got the bright idea to buy an ARC Nucleus and build a rifle my son could use around it. I've done the "just one gun" thing...about three times now, including my current project. Funny, that...

Anyway, no need to spend money on another action when you've got a good one. Further I wouldn't advise you to spend money on a new stock, especially not a stock in the 800-1300 dollar range, if it's going to end up with ergos comparable to the KRG Bravo you are rocking now. 2.7 lbs of KRG gets you a hell of a lot for your money. To get a traditional stock with adjustable cheek piece at 2.7 lbs you're talking carbon fiber (and thus the price range I referenced for McM or MCS). You could end up spending more by the time hardware, bottom metal, bedding, etc. is taken into account...easily.

If you're gonna do a new stock anyhow, I'll second the Manners CS-2 (or CS-1) - put my name on one for the same reason GAP uses it on their Jebediah model. That is, by the way, a great turn key option that will end up being substantially less money than I put into this project piecemeal. If you really want to start over from scratch, you might consider it.

I did a lot of theory crafting on barrels to bring a rifle that has roughly 5 lbs between the stock and the action in at a "normal" weight. A taperless barrel that runs 1.2" OD for 2.5", narrows to .75" OD at 5.0" and then runs 19" total w/ a .75" muzzle will give you enough meat to thread and come in at a shade less than 2.5 lbs (per Lilja's calculator). If you don't mind an extra half pound or so, you can get a 3B. Alternatively, you can get a 20" Proof CF barrel for about the same weight (Sendero Lite) at double the cost on the blank (725 or so versus 370 or so for an "alpha" blank). Add another $400 to chamber and thread (unless you take up Deep South Tactical's offer to do both for $300). Presto, you're now $2200-$2500 in on just a stock and a barrel.

In light of all that, if I were concerned about becoming a one rifle shooter economically, I'd be really tempted to just keep running what I had already to the greatest extent possible. I don't know what barrel contour you're running, but I'd look hard at having the smith take an inch or two off the back and recutting the chamber - you go a little shorter, and you get more life out of the barrel.

YMMV
    This has been the narrative for over a decade now. On the whole, accessibilty has expanded, not shrunk in that time (save for the self-fulfilling prophecy we are in now)

I'm a hunter so I don't have lots of rifles just for match/competition, but I do know this! Even the rifles I no longer use much since my build are staying right where they are. Our 2A has never been more threatened then it is right now. As long as they aren't in the way of another purchase, they can sleep undisturbed.

I'm a hunter so I don't have lots of rifles just for match/competition, but I do know this! Even the rifles I no longer use much since my build are staying right where they are. Our 2A has never been more threatened then it is right now. As long as they aren't in the way of another purchase, they can sleep undisturbed.
    ^^^
    This has been the narrative for over a decade now. On the whole, accessibilty has expanded, not shrunk in that time (save for the self-fulfilling prophecy we are in now)

I currently am sitting on an Origin/Bravo/TT build in 308. While I like it, I realized that with the 24” barrel and a can stuck on, it’s muzzle heavy. Plus, I don’t see myself changing barrels/bolt heads/calibers. So I’m kinda wondering if it’s worth keeping around.

Is this a crazy idea? If not, is there a rifle just like I’m thinking of you can think of? (GAP Gladius or an older FN SPR A1A come to my mind right off the bat).
    What about a Steyr Scout? Seems like an all around good gun.

I was in a similar situation and I had Jon Beanland make a 308 with an 18” barrel. I like it more than I hoped I would and it shoots better than I do.

Attachments

• F8EAC297-319E-4250-9CCB-10DD8D4B1D04.jpeg
      F8EAC297-319E-4250-9CCB-10DD8D4B1D04.jpeg
      569.3 KB · Views: 38
    Building rifles is, to me, really expensive. I'm in middle of a project that started when I got the bright idea to buy an ARC Nucleus and build a rifle my son could use around it. I've done the "just one gun" thing...about three times now, including my current project. Funny, that...

Anyway, no need to spend money on another action when you've got a good one. Further I wouldn't advise you to spend money on a new stock, especially not a stock in the 800-1300 dollar range, if it's going to end up with ergos comparable to the KRG Bravo you are rocking now. 2.7 lbs of KRG gets you a hell of a lot for your money. To get a traditional stock with adjustable cheek piece at 2.7 lbs you're talking carbon fiber (and thus the price range I referenced for McM or MCS). You could end up spending more by the time hardware, bottom metal, bedding, etc. is taken into account...easily.

If you're gonna do a new stock anyhow, I'll second the Manners CS-2 (or CS-1) - put my name on one for the same reason GAP uses it on their Jebediah model. That is, by the way, a great turn key option that will end up being substantially less money than I put into this project piecemeal. If you really want to start over from scratch, you might consider it.

I did a lot of theory crafting on barrels to bring a rifle that has roughly 5 lbs between the stock and the action in at a "normal" weight. A taperless barrel that runs 1.2" OD for 2.5", narrows to .75" OD at 5.0" and then runs 19" total w/ a .75" muzzle will give you enough meat to thread and come in at a shade less than 2.5 lbs (per Lilja's calculator). If you don't mind an extra half pound or so, you can get a 3B. Alternatively, you can get a 20" Proof CF barrel for about the same weight (Sendero Lite) at double the cost on the blank (725 or so versus 370 or so for an "alpha" blank). Add another $400 to chamber and thread (unless you take up Deep South Tactical's offer to do both for $300). Presto, you're now $2200-$2500 in on just a stock and a barrel.

In light of all that, if I were concerned about becoming a one rifle shooter economically, I'd be really tempted to just keep running what I had already to the greatest extent possible. I don't know what barrel contour you're running, but I'd look hard at having the smith take an inch or two off the back and recutting the chamber - you go a little shorter, and you get more life out of the barrel.
    I’m keeping what I have for now. You hit the nail on the head on I do have a good action and chassis/stock. I have some time into making it mine, as I painted the Bravo myself.

I did speak to a smith, and the price to have the barrel chopped down is very doable. So it’s going out to them for the chop and re-thread. I’m sleeping on whether to have it chopped to 20 or 18” lol. It’s a Medium Palma Krieger.

You won’t regret that choice at all, I look forward to hearing how it turned out for you.

I’m keeping what I have for now. You hit the nail on the head on I do have a good action and chassis/stock. I have some time into making it mine, as I painted the Bravo myself.

I did speak to a smith, and the price to have the barrel chopped down is very doable. So it’s going out to them for the chop and re-thread. I’m sleeping on whether to have it chopped to 20 or 18” lol. It’s a Medium Palma Krieger.
    19” then. Boom! I’m a problem solver.

Reactions: Maggot
    If you're going to hunt with it then I'd say 18". And good call on keeping it.