• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just because it says match...

justin amateur

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2012
lilja22wmr.png

...doesn't mean it'll be all that accurate.

Picked up a Lilja 22wmr bull barrel to see what I could learn.
I learned there's no such thing as match grade 22wmr ammunition.

Installed the barrel in my Varmint stock, free floated,
and after a Friday afternoon trip to do the break-in per Lilja's centerfire protocol,
took it to the range the next morning for testing at 50 yards.

445V22wmrL.png

Results at 50 yards are about the same as when I'm using the Lilja 17 hmr.

Image%2520%252884%2529.jpg

Image%2520%252885%2529.jpg

To find out how the barrel functions at longer distances,
installed it in my test platform, the barrel block Fuglie.

lilja-fuglie22wmr.png

Set up a target at 100 yards, to see how wind and ammo quality affect 22wmr accuracy

avery-dots.png

Wind from the WNW (swinging from my my 7 o'clock to my 4) at 4 to 10 mph,
temp in the low 90's, humidity at 100%, the results weren't all that great.

22wmr-lilja-100yds.png

On the top target, the center bull was sighting in different ammo.
The dot group at the 12 position is 1.10 inch ctc
the 3 position is 1.3 inches ctc
the 6 is 1.5 inches, the 9 is 1.2 inches.

On the bottom target
top left is 1.6 inches, top center is 1.2 inches, top right is 1.65 inches
bottom left is 1.6 inches, bottom center is 1.2 inches, and bottom right is 1.25 inches.

With the barrel locked into the fuglie stock and a solid cheek weld,
it's easy to tell that 22wmr ammo is not match quality.
Hot rounds had a high toned "ching" sound, through the stock,
low charge rounds would "thud", and watching the condensation trails
out to the target I could call which were going to impact close to poa
and which were going to drop before hitting the target.
View through the scope showed wind creating lateral spread at 100 yards.
Those vapor trails make it easy to tell, after the fact, I mis-timed my squeeze.
I could watch the round smoke across the crosshairs off the poa.

Tried CCI 40 gr jhp, CCI Maxi-mags, Hornady 30 gr V-Max,
Armscor 40 gr jhp and Fiocchi 40 gr jsp.
The barrel may be "match" but the ammo definitely isn't.
The factory CZ bull barrel shot almost as well after break-in.
But that was after about a brick of 22 wmr ammo through the bore.

Last edited:
I've done a lot of reading over the last three years since I purchased my Savage .22WMR.
It came down to it vs the .17HMR. The salesman convinced my that the .22WMR would have more knockdown power at 125yds than the .17, the distance that a lot of my coyote shooting seems to occur.
Of course as soon as I got it home I started doing some avid reading and quickly found that by most accounts the .17 is a tackdriver...the WMR less so.
I haven't gone the route of a better barrel (primarily because the Savage bull barrel is known to be pretty accurate)...but I've done my proper stock work, everything is properly torqued, I have a decent scope (over 2x the price of the rifle), Harris bi-pod...everything I can think of.
At 100m (Canada, eh) it shoots a consistent 1.25"...haven't missed many a coyote, but when I'm on the range next to someone with a .17 I avoid any bragging wars as to accuracy, as I know that on a good day they will halve my group size.
Everything I've read points to the ammo...some saying that the shape of the .17 is just more aerodynamic than the WMR, others saying that the .17 is just produced with better tolerances. I tend to disregard the latter...I can't believe (for example) that Hornady takes any less care making their .22WMR V-Max than the .17HMR...yet again my rifle shoots 30% bigger groups than my friends .17,which is the same version Savage as mine apart from the caliber.
I don't think I would get rid of the WMR. My friend (with the .17) has a lot more instance of coyotes running a fair bit into the woods after being hit than I do...but I might add a .17 to the collection when I want to paper punch at 100-150m.

I've found the same thing Justin. My HK300 shoots about .6moa at 50Y and around 1.2-3 moa at 100Y in calm conditions. The 30 grainers shot the best, however...

As a side note those 30 grainers are horrible in the wind. Look up the numbers for wind compared to a standard velocity 22 LR and you'll freak out.

I bought a thousand of them so I'll use them for PD's but I want to try some of the heavier bullet loadings for 200-300Y just to see how they do.

I hear ya' Bob, Steve. I had a pretty good idea what was going to happen out at 100 yards,
but figured since I like the look of stainless steel and I'd sold off the factory Varmint barrels,
might as well see if the Lilja would make a difference. It does produce slightly better at 50 yards,
but out past 75 yds, wind and ammo quality really show why the 22wmr isn't a target round.
For knocking down pest's messing with the chicken coop, it's fine. Just not sub-moa at a distance.

komishe, y'er a man of few words...or is that angry icon worth a thousand words?
gap.gif

Wow!! I have a ten inch Contender in .22 mag that will do that good. I hope ammo hasn't gone down hill that bad recently.

All that 22wmr was purchased over the past year.
Brick lot's found on line with a minimal shipping charge.
Look at the target results and take out the lateral spread (that's me with poor wind judgement)
and the groups are consistent at about 1 inch top to bottom.
1 high impact, 1 low impact and 3 together is indicative of ammo quality.
Look at the group at the 6 position on the top target,
it's a perfect example of poor ammo quality.
The fuglie doesn't move, scope and barrel stay aligned on target.
Level the front adjustment screws, dial the rear elevator, and crosshairs stay put.
All I have to do is load and squeeze.
So vertical spread is all ammo, not wind.
If there was only lateral stringing, I'd be happy, because I know it'd be all my fault.
But looking at, and analyzing the fuglie shot vertical pattern,
leaves me sure that the ammo quality is to blame.

Justin, we all know 22lr are a pain in the ass to find the right ammo. I think the 22mag is harder to find the mojo ammo
but I have played around with over 8 different 22 mags over the years,
all I can say is ammo, ammo, ammo.
I have a large collection of 22mag ammo over the years,
the old 33 fed shot best overall, the 40gr, an 42gr came in 2nd
now I have found some 45gr that's lights out in my 455cz, however, it is slower then I had hoped,
but still will nail a fox @ 100yd plus,
I gave the 22mag up on coyotes, awhile back, don't like to track them down, (but it will kill them).
with your set up (fuglie) I am sure you will find the right ammo
YO

Understood, 'yote. I'll keep an eye out for the heavier grain ammo on line.
I actually like the 22wmr at 50 yards off the bipod. Requires a different grip
and shoulder than the 17 hmr and 22lr in order to maintain a consistent poi.

Years ago, when I still had my 22 WMR, I found the Federal Classic 50 grain loading to be more accurate than the other offerings.
But that was when 22 WMR was $7 a box.

Years ago, when I still had my 22 WMR, I found the Federal Classic 50 grain loading to be more accurate than the other offerings.
But that was when 22 WMR was $7 a box.

yep worked good for me too.
still have a few boxes left.

More testing on a calm morning, using the Harris bipod
and the free floated Lilja 22wmr barrel at 50 yards.
Folded target slid up the barrel channel to check clearance.

floated-22wmrlilja.JPG

Wind 2-4 mph, variable directions

50yds.JPG

Results: didn't do well with the 30 gr v-max

Image%2520%252887%2529.jpg

Left 3 bulls CCI 40 gr jhp, right 3 Hornady 30 gr V-max

Image%2520%252888%2529.jpg

By the end of the morning with CCI 40 gr jhp some tight groups

Image%2520%252889%2529.jpg

I have had very good results with a Winchester 61 and Win 40 grain HP and Win 40 grain solids. Slick little hunting rifle. No other load does much for me. Tried the heavies, and lights. Very poor.

Sounds like I've got a few more bricks to find and order for further testing.
Which means more trips to the range, which is a good thing.
AR15firing.gif

So after trying out the Lilja 22wmr, free floated, time to add a barrel pad.
I use Loctite 2 part 5-minute epoxy thickened with an equal amount of wood flour

A few inches forward of the receiver added a blob of thickened epoxy.
Set the barrel and action in place and torque the action screws.

barrel-pad.jpg

This morning took it to the range for testing.
Just below the word "Match" on the barrel, the hardened epoxy is visible.
Fills the bottom of the barrel channel and up and around on the sides.

filled.jpg

50 yards, bipod and bags, minimal winds, CCI Maxi-Mags

lilja22wmr-pad.jpg

Yes, the barrel pad does make an improvement to accuracy.

455V-L22wmr.jpg

Note to self: a bandanna worn wrapped around the forehead is an accuracy modification.
Without said bandanna I was slinging strays all over creation as sweat trickled into my eyes.
After the bandanna was installed, the dam crosshairs stayed put and accuracy returned.

So after trying out the Lilja 22wmr, free floated, time to add a barrel pad.
I use Loctite 2 part 5-minute epoxy thickened with an equal amount of wood flour

A few inches forward of the receiver added a blob of thickened epoxy.
Set the barrel and action in place and torque the action screws.

barrel-pad.jpg

This morning took it to the range for testing.
Just below the word "Match" on the barrel, the hardened epoxy is visible.
Fills the bottom of the barrel channel and up and around on the sides.

filled.jpg

50 yards, bipod and bags, minimal winds, CCI Maxi-Mags

lilja22wmr-pad.jpg

Yes, the barrel pad does make an improvement to accuracy.

455V-L22wmr.jpg

Note to self: a bandanna worn wrapped around the forehead is an accuracy modification.
Without said bandanna I was slinging strays all over creation as sweat trickled into my eyes.
After the bandanna was installed, the dam crosshairs stayed put and accuracy returned.

SWEET!!!!!!!!
looks like I may try that with my 22mag

Man that is good news! I have long considered getting one of those for larger ground dwelling critters. I had always been put off by reports of mediocre accuracy from the Magnum though. Glad to see some fixes !

The best thing about the CZ 455 is it's ability to be upgraded as time and finances permit.
Out of the box they are pretty good small game and plinking rifles. Look good, simple mechanics,
and if you aren't satisfied with just a small game rifle, the 455 can be tuned and modified
into a sub-moa rifle. All the modifications have been talked about over the past couple years
and posted on line. Easy enough to do a pillar job, bed the action, bed the barrel and if you aren't
satisfied with the factory barrel, Lilja makes drop in hand lapped barrels and I hear Feddersen
has taken an interest in the market also. I've tuned up a 455 American in 17 hmr and 22lr,
also the 455 Varmint in 22lr, 17 hmr and now 22wmr. All can produce sub-moa at 50 yards
with ease. At 100 yards it seems the shooter needs to be more skilled at adjusting for wind drift
than I am currently capable of. Something else to work on. The Lilja barrels have all enabled me
to use a single stock, accurately, for 3 different rimfire calibers. It's convenient to be able to match
a barrel to the ammo I have in stock and the type of shooting to be done.
22lr for targets, 17 hmr for small game, 22 wmr for annoying critters out at the family farm.