• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just bought my first muzzle loader... Help?

NaturesKin

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
It's a 50.cal BPI- Connecticut Valley arms rifle, magbolt 150.

I have never shot a muzzle loader before. And I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on what grain and type of bullet I should use and how much pellets of powder I have to pack.

Any other general tips with muzzle loaders would help greatly. Thanks.

Re: Just bought my first muzzle loader... Help?

Pretty much all we hunt with is muzzleloaders. Deer, Elk well everything. we have to experiment every time we buy a new one. we shoot 150g powerdex my dad shoots 120 it all depends on the gun. main problems we have had that may save you time.... Buy a real scope Leupold or Nikon not a cheap 100.00 scope i cant tell you how mane we broke before we just spent the money. Buy a bullet starter for your ram rod and locktight it. and dont ever ram just push it till it stops. and run a patch after every shot on the range. and dont consider it sighted in for at least 3 range trips.

Use the triple 7 powder its cleaner. If you go to the 150 grains for the most part you are wasting powder and you shoulder. Biggest thing is keep it clean.

How much powder do you use for 120g? And unfortunately the gun I bought already has a cheap 275x20 Herters scope.

And what do you mean by a bullet starter with locktight? Is the bullet starter the end of the ramrod? And I should run a patch through the barrel after every shot to clean it?

I have been doing some extensive research with different loads, powders charges, powder brands, bullets etc etc etc for the past year...I have a TC Pro Hunter, a Knight MK85 and a Ultimate Firearms Muzzleloaders and they all are extremely different and each require different loads and bullets...I do not have any experience with the CVA but I would strongly recommend that you buy the 250 grain Hornaday SST bullets and then experiment with powder charges starting at 80 grains and going up 5 grain increments until you find the sweet spot. Your post says a "magbolt 150" which if that means that the rifle will withstand that much powder then great but I'll bet the house that it won't be the most accurate with 150. My guess would be the 250 grain SST's and 125-130 grains of LOOSE HODGKINS FFFG. To save you a lot of time and money, I would do the following. Properly mount the scope and just get it on paper at 75 yards with no attempt to set it up to hit dead 0. Take X amount of powder and shoot two shots at a 1" dot and then look to see if the impact holes are extremely close 1/2" or are they inch's apart. When you find a charge of powder where the holes are touching or very close then that will be the charge to set your zero with and the combination that your gun likes. If its not within an inch group or less at 75 then try 5 more grains of powder and so on until you get a tight pattern. Don't exceed about 130 grains of loose FFFG since its about 15% stronger than regular black powder. Notate the load and THEN dial in the scope to hit the center of the dot. I run a patch sprayed with Butch's bore shine and then a dry one between each shot so you get the most accuracy out of your rifle. You won't be taking the gun hunting with a dirty barrel so why set your 0 based on a dirty barrel...Accuracy will be effected if left dirty and it will rust almost overnight...seriously. Completely different than a centerfire when it comes to rusting due to lack of cleaning. My TC Pro Hunter will shoot a 1" group at 100 with 130 grains of Hodgkins FFFG "pistol powder" and the Hornaday SST 250 grain bullets. The Knight MK85 likes the Barnes 340 grain hollow points with 90 grains of FFG and the Ultimate Firearms likes 200 Grains of the White Hots pellets with a 275 grain Parker Bullet...so every gun will be something different...good luck..

Wow thanks Centerfire!!! Awesome information, I greatly apreciate it. One Q though, the higher the grain the heavier the bullet right? <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Centerfire1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been doing some extensive research with different loads, powders charges, powder brands, bullets etc etc etc for the past year...I have a TC Pro Hunter, a Knight MK85 and a Ultimate Firearms Muzzleloaders and they all are extremely different and each require different loads and bullets...I do not have any experience with the CVA but I would strongly recommend that you buy the 250 grain Hornaday SST bullets and then experiment with powder charges starting at 80 grains and going up 5 grain increments until you find the sweet spot. Your post says a "magbolt 150" which if that means that the rifle will withstand that much powder then great but I'll bet the house that it won't be the most accurate with 150. My guess would be the 250 grain SST's and 125-130 grains of LOOSE HODGKINS FFFG. To save you a lot of time and money, I would do the following. Properly mount the scope and just get it on paper at 75 yards with no attempt to set it up to hit dead 0. Take X amount of powder and shoot two shots at a 1" dot and then look to see if the impact holes are extremely close 1/2" or are they inch's apart. When you find a charge of powder where the holes are touching or very close then that will be the charge to set your zero with and the combination that your gun likes. If its not within an inch group or less at 75 then try 5 more grains of powder and so on until you get a tight pattern. Don't exceed about 130 grains of loose FFFG since its about 15% stronger than regular black powder. Notate the load and THEN dial in the scope to hit the center of the dot. I run a patch sprayed with Butch's bore shine and then a dry one between each shot so you get the most accuracy out of your rifle. You won't be taking the gun hunting with a dirty barrel so why set your 0 based on a dirty barrel...Accuracy will be effected if left dirty and it will rust almost overnight...seriously. Completely different than a centerfire when it comes to rusting due to lack of cleaning. My TC Pro Hunter will shoot a 1" group at 100 with 130 grains of Hodgkins FFFG "pistol powder" and the Hornaday SST 250 grain bullets. The Knight MK85 likes the Barnes 340 grain hollow points with 90 grains of FFG and the Ultimate Firearms likes 200 Grains of the White Hots pellets with a 275 grain Parker Bullet...so every gun will be something different...good luck..</div></div>

You're working with two different GRAINS....the bullet weight is measured in GRAINS and the powder is measured in GRAINS...so don't let me confuse you and you go out and use 250 grains of powder....OUCH !!! PIPE BOMB comes to mind....

YES...the higher the grains are.... the more of whatever you will be using or shooting. If you have no experience what so ever with measuring powder etc then you may want to check out the pellet type powder charges which are very simple to use...just drop two down the barrel and push in the bullet until it hits the pellets. Don't push so hard that you crush the pellets though...just push down to you feel the bullet seat onto the powder..If you go that route then the most consistant powder made is the new WHITE HOTS. Through my chronograph they only vary about 6-12 feet per second which is impressive. Just search under google "white hots" and you can read about them..Cabelas and other people carry them...buy locally so you don't have to pay the extra 25.00 for haz mat shipping charge. You'll be limited on experimenting though since they are 50 grains each so you will either be using 50-100 or 150..which is why i recommend the LOOSE powder to begin with. sorry to rattle on but I really enjoy shooting the ole smoke poles...Lots of fun and very challenging..Anything I can help with ...please ask. NEVER PUT YOUR IGNITION CAP ON BEFORE YOU PUT THE POWDER IN THE BARREL...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!

If you do want to order the IMR White Hots then go to powdervalley.com...They are about 8-10 dollars cheaper than anyone else with a price of 17.80 for a box of 72 --50grain charges. The powder is snow white in color and is extremely easy to clean out of the barrel between shots and it doesn't have that gummy powder ring in the barrel after the shot.

As the mule driver for Jesus and Joseph said, "Patience, jackass, Patience." The muzzleloading game is demanding if you want accuracy. Really listen to the advice above, and above all...keep ACCURATE records, and really, really try for repeatability. I was never so anal as to do anything well with the muzzle loader. One of my many failings. JMHO

My CVA absolutely loves the 250gr Hornady SST's. That is solid advice there.

I'm running 90gr of Pyrodex, 250gr SST, and Win W209 primers. It patterns 1" groups at 100 very consistently. I'm shooting the Wolf which is the cheapest inline they make and has a short barrel. It still shoots minute of deer at 200, I can't complain esp for the $125 I have invested into the gun.

LMFAO!!! I'm not that much of a rookie Centerfire. Lol.

And I already have checked into the pellet types. However I'm sure packing your own powder is a more affordable choice huh?

Awesome advice Tfin! I think I just may try out with the 250g bullet with loose powder starting at 80g. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TFin04</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My CVA absolutely loves the 250gr Hornady SST's. That is solid advice there.

I'm running 90gr of Pyrodex, 250gr SST, and Win W209 primers. It patterns 1" groups at 100 very consistently. I'm shooting the Wolf which is the cheapest inline they make and has a short barrel. It still shoots minute of deer at 200, I can't complain esp for the $125 I have invested into the gun.

</div></div>

Another question, how do you pack loose powder? Is there a small satchel you load it into and then pack into the barrel?

My TC Encore shoots for shit with the pellets. I have found that 120 grains Triple 7 using a TC 250 gr sabot (with the yellow sabot) shoots the best. The yellow sabot is designed to be easy to load the bullet, the way the petals are cut does that. It will shoot right around 1 inch. The pellets wont shoot a 3 inch group for me. Get good glass and clean at least after every other shot. Bore snake does wonders for a ML. Another thing, winchester makes some black primers that are NOt as hot. It will keep from melting your sabot right inside the chamber and having to clean the plastic out of your barrel all the time like hot primers.

most bullets have a set that comes with them...well you have to buy them, but they make sure it sets properly with out harming the bullet. and you can buy pellets in 30 grain. to get 120 and its way easer on the shoulder. i think loose powder is to out of date for the new 209 inline MLs i dont think it would all burn...? but you dont pack it you do the same just make a steady push (unless using a ball) and when you cant push anymore stop or you will harm the bullet. we had nightmares figuring this out.