• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just call me a goober....

outlaw81

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2011
SE OK
I had been shooting a load in my 300wsm that as far as I was concerned was the shit. I totally forgot to reset my resizing die to what it needed to be so my next batch of reloads were a little hard to close the bolt on. I noticed the flaw about ten shots in. Thankfully I caught it and took them home and pulled the bullets and started over. The shoulder angle wasn't set right and as soon as I corrected it, the shell itself closed with no problem and I was able to find the exact overall length for the gun. I was able to go from a 2.89 coal to a 2.99 coal. talk about a lot of difference in groups as well! The thing went from 1/2" at 100 to bugholes at 100. at 250 went from 1 1/2" to 3/4". Anyone else seem to goof up like I did?

Re: Just call me a goober....

Just last week I charged 50 rounds of 300wm, I drop powder then trickle up to the last .01. Went to seat the bullet and powder fell out the bottom. Got in a hurry and forgot the primer
mad.gif
I dumped them all out and went outside for a bit and came back and spent another 45 minutes doing all again, after I primed them. I love to shoot, Love to reload. I like to shoot more thow.

Goober!

Sorry couldn't resist lol.

Ive been there.sometimes I goof up and sometimes I luck into something too. Rarely does it happen at same time

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryce6750</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I love to shoot, Love to reload. I like to shoot more thow. </div></div> I definitely have to agree with that.

a goober, No. How about a dumb ass.

Last week I picked up some A-max bullets to try out. They shot well as factory so I though I'd save a few bucks, right.

So I proceed to reload a bunch...80. Completely forgot to reset my length. I had been shooting some Sierra match. I never checked OAL and ended up loading 40 that I had to pull and setback a bit.

did I say dumb ass?

OK now I feel better. I probably shouldn't drink the kracken when im reloading either!!

I seated some bullets without powder in cases once... Only did about three. The reason I caught myself is I could hear the difference when I put the cartridges in the ammo box. They made a vivid ding rather than a boring clank.

We have to pay attention, this is serious shit we are dealing with.

There's an old saying in aviation. There are those pilots who have never tried to land with the wheels up, and there are those who will. Reload, or fly, long enough and you'll do all the mistakes that everyone else has done. We are playing with fire, so caution is the order. If you are a goober, then I'm glad to meet you, brother.

I was shooting in a match, when I chambered the 3rd round in a 5 shot string it felt "light" (50 BMG). I should have trusted my feeling. I never heard the primer. I can recock the firing pin without opening the bolt. Tried 3 times, then waited sixty seconds, cleard the area behind me and removed the bolt. Empty brass, very sooty. Hum, no daylight through the bore. A fellow shooter nearby had finished his string and was watching me, he grabbed his cleaning rod and had my barrle cleared 20 seconds later. I was still able to finish my string in time.

This is why I'll always be checking my cases for powder in the future, and why I doubt I'll never be reloading at 4am again.