• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Just Completely Confused

skydive91

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
Iowa City, Iowa
Hello, So I am new to LR shooting and have figured out how to range estimate targets but once I have got the range I am not sure how much I should turn my elevation knob to reach that far out,also I think I grasp the concept of MOA if that helps. Do I need a balistic card or some sort of balistic application to be able to do this. Sorry if this has been asked before I tried searching but could not find anything. BTW I have a remington 700 sps tactical with swfa ss 10x42 scope mildots

Re: Just Completely Confused

Just turn the knob all the way.

Seriously. Based on this and all of your other posts. You need to take a class and get some training. Otherwise you are just wasting time and bandwidth.

- Loud

Mmyah, you're on to it.

Time to hit the "books"--in your case, either get velocities and go to JBM Ballistics' website (or download their Apple App to your iPhone or IPod...), or zero at 100 (reliably measured!) and shoot and measure drop at 300 or 400 (again, reliably measured, and allow for ENOUGH drop from your aiming point) and "back into" the velocity. Then generate YOUR very own range card.

And then learn what your rifle and load do at 20 degrees F hotter and colder than that.

It goes on from there, too...

If you have the iPhone I'd highly recommend the Bullet Flight KAC program. Buy the M version (military) and it will definitely help you get started. With a 100 yard zero it will get on on paper from 100 to the limit of your rifle. It got me started and helped me learn quite a bit.

At a minimum you need a 100 yard zero.

From there you can get the velocity of your round and with the bullet weight you can plug in basic numbers and get a "basic" drop chart from an on line ballistics program such as JBM.

OR

Put your aiming point near the top of the target at 200 yards. With out changing your 100 yard zero you can shoot and correct to a 200 yard zero. Probably about 1.5 minutes up.

Write down the exact amount of "dope" you need to get from 100 to 200.

"Dope" is the amount of adjustment you dialed into the scope to get from one range to the other.

Repeat at 300 yards w/ your 200 yard "dope" on. You'll need another 3 minutes or so. Write this down also. By adding together your 200 and 300 yard "dope" you will now be able to go from 100 yards to 300 yards by dialing in the correct change. (IF your scope tracks correctly)

Continue this until you run out of ammo, range or elevation. Don't forget to write the changes down.

If you do the latter and compare it to JBM you will be able to figure out your velocity to a pretty accurate degree IF your scope is tracking correctly.

Lindy will have to jump in here with his quick link as it would take me a while to explain how to calibrate a reticle.

Cheers,

Doc

Dude! You're in Coralville! I'm a student at the U of Iowa. Once I get my new rifle from the 'smith maybe we can go shooting somewhere around here and I can help you get started. If you're interested send me a PM. Also, do you know of any places around here that have more than 100 yards available?

Buy a decent .22rf and scope. learn to shoot
wink.gif

Then you get the basics cheaply.
JBM + reading is also important. You can't be lazy and expect to know what you need to know. You need the foundation in place to build on, when you don't know much you don't know what to ask to learn it.

Reading up teaches you a lot, putting it into practise makes sure you understand it
smile.gif

Go to the local guns and ammo store and ask the folks behind the counter where folks go to shoot in your area. The way to learn shooting is from more experienced shooters, preferably from NRA Certified Instructors.

Until you've mastered the basics and gotten some proficiency at shorter distances, it's most likely all you'd do at LR would be to waste good ammo.

Advice about learning on the .22 is worth its weight in gold. Serious marksmen own decent basic trainer .22's, they don't need to be either exquisite or expensive, and they never stop using them regularly.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Write down the exact amount of "dope" you need to get from 100 to 200.

"Dope" is the amount of adjustment you dialed into the scope to get from one range to the other.
Doc </div></div>

Dont mean to call out a USO rep, but that isnt quite right. DOPE stands for Data On Previous Engagements, Its not an amount of change between yardages per say. It is exactly what it says.. Its the exact data you used the last time you shot in those particular conditions at that particular distance... So technically you cant have any DOPE (of your own) on your first time shooting any certain distance. You keep a DOPE book so you can refrence back to the last time you shot in "95 degrees, 90% humidity, 400yds, wind from the 3 oclock, pressure at 25.78 and rising.... You know what worked last time so you make a first round hit this time...