• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just couldn't go 6.5 PRC

PATCO

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2019
I'm in the process of building a new rig. I like the 6.5 Creedmoor for a number of reasons and tend to accumulate them. At the range the other day, a new guy was trying his new build, a 6.5 PRC. Turned out he was a retired marksmanship instructor from Ft. Benning just down the road I was not familiar with the 6.5 PRC and checked it out. It was AR based with a muzzle break. Too loud. He hasn't received his can adapter yet. I thought this might be a new way to go since I could use the same bullets that I already use. When I got home, I looked up the 6.5 PRC and was impressed by the specs. When I talked it around, I found that it was just a little too long. High BC bullets with long noses past the ogive won't fit most magazines and still get the right jump. It became a case of fitting the cartridge to the mag unless you want to fire single shot. All this being said, I ordered a 6.5 CM barrel yesterday. I know there will be those who disagree, but check it out closely before you do. It sure surprised me. I have a Ruger RPR that has that problem. I might just find a way to use the 6.5 PRC anyway.

That's why folks are using different reamers with shorter freebore. I'm having one built right now with a .130 freebore to use in a short action.

Reactions: MOUNTIC
I’m impressed someone has built a PRC gas gun already. Magnum BCGs are pretty rare.

I had a custom built on a .133 reamer and had no issues with jump, it jammed factory ammo (and still shot great with it). Unfortunately a gas gun is going to have a hard time even fitting factory ammo unless it was a nemo or something built on a win mag platform.

I wanted to try 6.5 PRC and picked up a Ruger Precision for under $1200 to give it a try. Only 1 trip to the range for zero and MV so far. It feeds factory 143 ELD X with no problem and the new barrel is getting 2923 fps, expect more after 200 rounds or so based on my 6.5 CM experience. Recoil is not noticeably different than the 6.5 CM. Will go out Thursday for distance shots. As soon as 147 ELD M becomes available locally (maybe even RL 26 or H1000) I plan to use those. Based on limited experience I like the PRC due to more speed and heavier bullet in the same SA package.

There are a few companies out there that make magazines for short actions that allow seating to 2.950" cartridge overall length. If your feed ramp is cut for it, it's usually no problem.

The PRC not having a rebated rim like the SAUM/4s also means you can get away with running .308 class magazines, often without needing to bend the feed lips at all.

That all said, I prefer the creedmoor, too. 85% of the velocity, double the magazine capacity, less powder, more barrel life.... Just easier.

in a normal R700 the issue describe are accurate. but in a custom action with non binder plate mags loading 2.955ish it's totally a non issue like @Ledzep mentioned. or an appropriate wyatts box

if mags are a problem with your ruger get some appropriately sized ones and ditch the magpuls

I very generic terms 6.5PRC = 6.5CM + extra velocity. IMO throwing a bunch of extra velocity at a projectile is helpful but isn't the most effective way to increase long range performance. The extra velocity will translate to more energy, less drop and more supersonic range but since the BC is left unchanged wind drift is not improved thus group size at range is not improved significantly and the ablity to capitalize on the extra supersonic range is not assisted. If you're gonna go with one of the PRC cartridges 300 is the gem IMO. That said 6.5PRC comes into it's own in a lightweight mountain long range hunting rifle where you want to keep recoil manageable but deliver excellent performance and energy.

Last edited:
There are a few companies out there that make magazines for short actions that allow seating to 2.950" cartridge overall length. If your feed ramp is cut for it, it's usually no problem.

The PRC not having a rebated rim like the SAUM/4s also means you can get away with running .308 class magazines, often without needing to bend the feed lips at all.

That all said, I prefer the creedmoor, too. 85% of the velocity, double the magazine capacity, less powder, more barrel life.... Just easier.

This issue is way overblown. Rebated rims have virtually no trouble feeding from AICS mags. That idea was derived from folks trying to feed from BDL/internal mags.

I very generic terms 6.5PRC = 6.5CM + extra velocity. IMO throwing a bunch of extra velocity at a projectile is helpful but isn't the most effective way to increase long range performance. The extra velocity will translate to more energy, less drop and more supersonic range but since the BC is left unchanged wind drift is not improved thus group size at range is not improved significantly and the ablity to capitalize on the extra supersonic range is not assisted. If you're gonna go with one of the PRC cartridges 300 is the gem IMO. That said 6.5PRC comes into it's own in a lightweight mountain long range hunting rifle where you want to keep recoil manageable but deliver excellent performance and energy.

It does help with wind drift.

6.5 Prc has a what 18 grain advantage over a creed so it’s not impressive, but that whopping 1 grain advantage the 300 prc has over a win mag, now that’s a gem right there.

This issue is way overblown. Rebated rims have virtually no trouble feeding from AICS mags. That idea was derived from folks trying to feed from BDL/internal mags.

6.5 SAUM Would not feed from a stock ARC/Alpha 7.62 magazine for me. I had to bend the lips to get the rim higher in the receiver bore. 6.5 PRC in several rifles I've handled has fed fine from stock, unbent ARC and AI 7.62 magazines.

I went with a long action for my APR build with BDL bottom metal. It's a light (sh) weight hunting rifle, so I wasnt too concerned about having a detachable magazine.
Shooting 1.5 - 2" groups at 400 with Hornady 143 eldx factory loads. 3034 fps average, but ES was 20.
Will develop ahead using 156 Bergers in Spring... ran out of time for this season.

6.5 SAUM Would not feed from a stock ARC/Alpha 7.62 magazine for me. I had to bend the lips to get the rim higher in the receiver bore. 6.5 PRC in several rifles I've handled has fed fine from stock, unbent ARC and AI 7.62 magazines.
Body diameter is noticeably smaller on the PRC so they sit higher in the magazine.

I noticed that looking at a 6.5 PRC, 7 saum and 300 WSM case in ARC and AI mags.

6.5 SST has a similar profile as 6.5PRC but with a shorter body.

if I wasn’t concerned with spotting splashes at a mile+ I’d totally would have been interested in 6.5 PRC instead of 7 saum.

Body diameter is noticeably smaller on the PRC so they sit higher in the magazine.

I noticed that looking at a 6.5 PRC, 7 saum and 300 WSM case in ARC and AI mags.

6.5 SST has a similar profile as 6.5PRC but with a shorter body.

if I wasn’t concerned with spotting splashes at a mile+ I’d totally would have been interested in 6.5 PRC instead of 7 saum.
you know SS/SST cases come from SAUM causes right?

I HAVE FINISHED MY NEW 6.5 cm BUILD, AND IT IS SETTLING IN. I'm not shouting, just hit the caps lock by mistake. By the fourth 3 round group, it was under 1/2 MOA at 100 yds. A tree of 5 shot groups showed my usual 41.5 gn H4350 140 gn OTM to be it's load of choice. With almost 50 rounds downrange, I have loaded up 50 rounds of this and will continue my breakin.. I just noticed that Savage has come out with a line of 6.5 PRC bolt actions with attractive features and prices. I might consider getting one if they are top bolt release.