• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

just finished my .510 wildcat savage!!!

rufracer

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2010
Hey all

I just got done with my first successful custom wildcat. Its built on a savage action. Im calling it the .50 Razorback. So far Im getting 2115 fps with 649 gr m8 api .510 projectile out of a 25" barrel with no preasure signs. Sub MOA when I sort the M8s. Im using an undisclosed common brass that costs less than $1 each.

I should have a sub-sonic version done in a couple months.

just having fun right now but may be trying to sell some in the near future.

Email for pics

Re: just finished my .510 wildcat savage!!!

Interesting, Let's see the pics! Very timely as I was pondering a subsonic venture. Was looking 338 but 50 sounds worth looking into.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">What are you using for a parent case .50 spotter?</span>
Oops ultra secret CIA brass?

worse, nsa brass. Im sure you will figure it out. 50 razorback

here is a link to some pics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ntexaslongshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very interesting!!

so, how's the recoil??</div></div>

Hmmm...649 grains at 2115fps...must be soft as a kitten
grin.gif

sounds like fun!

yeah, i'm getting about 6500 ftlbs at the muzzle with that combo.

great idea. i see that you can get pulled bullets for about 40 cents each.

i'd like to try one on some hogs!

Well its not as bad as you might think, its more of a push than an punch. the rifle weighs 18lbs. Try 20 cents each for pulled bullets at hi-techammo.com

That is pretty neat. It almost seems like a modernized 45-70 or another one of those old straight cased boomers. I bet it would do a number on hogs or anything else you cared to point it at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazarus Long</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread is relevant to my interests! </div></div>

Yeah, Mine too!

A LR rifle, AND a dangerous game gun. What a combo.

Nice rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rufracer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">savage 110, or stevens 200. </div></div>

Standard or magnum version, what size bolt face?

magnum bolt face

you can find pics on the link at the top of the page.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 65mm06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that case in a A Ruger No.1 would be awesome </div></div>

Absolutely! I was thinking the same thing.

does anyone know what the savage long action is rated for in terms of forces created during firing?

the 338 lapua with 300 gr bullet generates approx 5400ftlbs, this 50bmg bullet at ~2100 fps is about 6500.

i just don't know if the action is strong enough for the forces involved...

So far so good. Ive got a contact that has built several of his version of the .500 a-square, or .50 peackeeper on savage actions, and has done it for years. Your talking 10000 ft lds. with that round. PSI is the real issue. Im running this at about 62000-65000 psi. Within spec for the parent case. Ive fired aprox 150 rds with no signs of stress on the action.

the reamer for the sub-sonic .510 is on its way