• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Just for "Laughs"

JoshcBoucher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2011
Northern Delaware.
My long time Bud calls me up, maybe cause of the panic, and wants some "shooting lessons" with his Semi- auto 22. I set a Saturday, and tell him where to meet me. We get to the range. He pulls out his gun. It's a lever action Marlin. I "start" to show him where to load the 22s. Wait!!! It's not a 22. It's a 30-30. Stop. We shoot my guns, and he gets a "lesson". Next time out. I've got the 30-30 rnds. Click, no bang. Click, no bang. We shoot my guns. To the gunsmith. Turns out it's a broken firing pin. Back to the range. Click, bang. Yeah!!!! Can I get a "nice scope" for this? On we go!

Re: Just for "Laughs"

Ouch!! You know...stupid should hurt. You should have cracked him upside the head one good time with the butt of his 336 just to drill the point home!!
wink.gif

All joking aside...we all owe it to ourselves and our fellow shooters (even those who have ZERO idea what they are doing) to educate them, instruct them on safe firearms handling/shooting, and get them enjoying our hobbies/sports/pastimes/etc. Good on you for being a patient and helpful friend. On a side note...the XS scope mounts and a small, variable optic (like a VX-3 1.5-5x or something in that range) work great on the Marlin leverguns depending on your buddy's budget and wants/needs for the optic. I also run a Burris 2.5x scout scope in the extended position on that same mount on an 1895SBL...a great combo in my opinion and about all the scope you'll need on a .30-30 for the range or a handy brush gun for hogs/whitetails/etc.

Thats funny....LMAO
I had a similar situation with my buddy.
He brings his lever action 30-30 into the desert for a fun day of shooting. He loads up the first round and tells me the round is stuck. I take a look at the rifle and "OH MY", I don't know how he did it but he stuffed a 308 round in it.....he had 4 boxes..lol

Guy we go hunting with brings out "dad's old 270" and after a couple hours, we hear him unloading about a half dozen shots. He said the doe just stood there, and looked at him from about 120yd away, while he blazed away and missed every time. He said he was goona take dads rifle to the smith to get it ckecked out. A couple weeks later, I end up in the blind he was using before, and I picked up his spent brass, like I do. When I got it home, it didn't look right to me, so measured it. I got to call and tell him I fixed his rifle. How? He said. See if it will chamber a 30-06 round, I said. Yup. Ok, Don't put any more 270 ammo in it, and it will probably shoot alright. He will never live that down.

That's okay. Nothing like showing up with your new 'wundergunn' to a friends shoot and have it malfunction the whole time your out there. Turns out Midway gave me the wrong bolt for my new Satern 6.5 Grendel barrel. I know it wasn't my fault but there was a lot of, "Think you can make it shoot twice in a row?"
There's always the 'brought the wrong ammo, changed rifles to go to the range last minute, left ammo on kitchen table....'

We've all done it. And it sucks.

Thanks for that. He's a good friend, and my lawyer, so I'll refrain from smacking him. He just needs a little training. When ya "grow up with guns", It's sometimes hard to think like a noob. I do think I'll do the "Jeff Cooper" long eye relief scope, for the gun. I might get a Marlin, in 45/70 and do the same for me. Nice set up, as you mentioned, for Hogs, and such. I've got a Win 45/70 1886, that I can't bring myself to drill for the scope. As I get older, the peep sights aren't workin so good.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ouch!! You know...stupid should hurt. You should have cracked him upside the head one good time with the butt of his 336 just to drill the point home!!
wink.gif

All joking aside...we all owe it to ourselves and our fellow shooters (even those who have ZERO idea what they are doing) to educate them, instruct them on safe firearms handling/shooting, and get them enjoying our hobbies/sports/pastimes/etc. Good on you for being a patient and helpful friend. On a side note...the XS scope mounts and a small, variable optic (like a VX-3 1.5-5x or something in that range) work great on the Marlin leverguns depending on your buddy's budget and wants/needs for the optic. I also run a Burris 2.5x scout scope in the extended position on that same mount on an 1895SBL...a great combo in my opinion and about all the scope you'll need on a .30-30 for the range or a handy brush gun for hogs/whitetails/etc. </div></div>

Glad all turned out OK. Under only slightly different circumstances, that could've been VERY VERY BAD.

I am often asked to take guys shooting (I am blessed with an outdoor range on my property). It is concerning how many people have guns with absolutely no knowledge about firearms.