• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Just get a Super Sniper for a precision gas gun?

JR1

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2010
USA
I'm looking for a mil-dot, target-turret scope in the $500 range for a duty precision gas gun. (If that's even possible)

I am a current LEO with 21 years of service and 10 years on a metropolitan high-risk warrant team. I have only served in a long marksman role for 3 years.

I shoot primarily three scoped rifles:
1. a precision bolt action .308,
2. a match-grade AR-308,
3. and a match-grade AR-15.

I shoot the .308s out to 500 yards and the .223 out to 350 yards, and they are all sub-MOA shooters at those ranges. The bolt gun, in particular, will shoot 5 shots in 1 MOA and sometimes 1/2 MOA out to 500 yds. It is the one gun I have 100% confidence in and the one I always take on call outs. I would like to have the option of taking a semi-auto if the situation called for it, but I don't feel confident with the cheap glass I have on them.

1. The bolt gun wears a $1100 Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40.
2. The AR-308 wears a $350 Burris FullField II Ballistiplex 3-9x50.
3. The AR-15 wears a $120 Nikon Prostaff BDC 3-9x40.

We get a pretty healthy budget, but we still can't justify anything we dream up. I feel pretty lucky to have my bolt gun set up the way it is. Plus, I would like to save a good chunk of my budget left for buying match ammo. I have to justify ordering another scope, or I need to just get it out of my own pocket.

I want to get a scope similar to the Mk4 for one or both of the ARs but I'm not convinced it's worth the money.

You are welcome to beat me up, but here are a couple things I hear and my thoughts about them. I'm not an expert, so let me have it.

"More expensive optics are more accurate:"
I can consistently shoot 5-shot 1-inch groups with all three rifles/scopes off a bi-pod at 100 yards with match ammo. That's about as far as I'll need operationally, really...but we do qualify out to 200. I put the Mk 4 on the AR-15 once and I shot about the same accuracy (1 MOA) at known 100-yard intervals as I did with $120 Nikon!

"More expensive optics have clearer glass":
I hear that more expensive glass is clearer under waning light, but I am issued a universal NOD that mounts on the picatinny rails forward of the scope on all 3 rifles. I wonder if that consideration is just for hunters who need to see game in the early dawn. I don't see it being a huge factor in LE work when I have a PN/PVS in my kit.

Would a Leupold Mk-AR or Nikon M-223 be sufficient for precision work at a better price point? I don't like the 1/2 MOA adjustments or friction turrets on the Leupold, but that seems to be the only option from Leupold with target turrets other than the $1100 Mk4. I shot an AR with an M-223 and the turrets seemed sloppy to me.

I am on the knobs quite a bit so I am concerned that cheaper glass might fail a box drill and not come back to zero.

I guess what I really want is Leupold Mk4 turrets without the price tag for the Mk4.

Sorry for the long question. I appreciate any pointers.

Re: Just get a cheap scope for a precision gas gun?

I just read my post and it's too long. (Sorry) Here's my question:

Is there a service-grade, mil-dot, variable 4-12ish power, 1/4 MOA target-turret scope that will return to zero in the $500 price range?

smile.gif

yah know...at about this point in your tenure here on the hide ....you may be aware that troll status has been achieved .

please complete your profile

Thanks. I'll look at that now.

TitanAug2008003.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yah know...at about this point in your tenure here on the hide ....you may be aware that troll status has been achieved .

please complete your profile </div></div>

I'm not sure what any of that means.

imho thru trial and error(bsa is for fufus)buy a reputable scope with a warranty for a gas gun because gassers can beat them up.

The Super Sniper 3-9x ffp is a great buy in the $500 range. The Bushnell Elite 4200 3-12x44 ffp is also a great deal right now.

If you're looking to spend bigger cheese, I might suggest the IOR 3.5-18x50 ffp. It's awesome and has the best reticle I've seen.

Two differnt mil/mil FFP scopes for around $600 each.
smile.gif
That's awesome.
I have never really looked at SS, but I hear a lot of talk about them. Honestly, I have been looking at Bushnell and Leuopold mostly because of their LEO discounts. I'll have to see if the Bushnell is available at a better price. Sometimes SWFA can match them anyway.

Super Sniper 3-9 FFP (probably the best choice) if you want a variable, Super Sniper 10X if you want a fixed. They make a fixed 6x too.

10X Bushnell is a good one for 200$ and is mil-mil but I think the Super Sniper is a little more durable.

You could also find a used leupold 3-10 on ebay, I have seen them go for 600-800.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Super Sniper 3-9x ffp is a great buy in the $500 range. The Bushnell Elite 4200 3-12x44 ffp is also a great deal right now.

If you're looking to spend bigger cheese, I might suggest the IOR 3.5-18x50 ffp. It's awesome and has the best reticle I've seen. </div></div>

Exactly this....plus I would add the Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16

The 3-9X Super Sniper is the only $$500-600 variable power scope I would trust in a life or death situation. This is based solely on what I've read. I have no personal experience with them.

Furthermore, I would stick with the bolt gun or the AR-15 for police duty. In my opinion, a .7.62 gas gun is more useful in a battlefield environment. A well-placed 5.56 is very effective less than 200 yards and the recoil/semi capability would allow for quick follow-up if needed.

Therefore, I would buy only one scope instead of two. I would get a lower priced NF and get a LEO discount. The 2-10X32 NF would fit the bill nicely.

If I was being held hostage, I would want the police to have 1st tier equipment. If I was the LEO put into that situation, I would want to have 1st tier equipment. If my employers were unwilling to foot-the-bill, I would acquire myself and considerate it an expense of employment (possibility write it off my taxes).

Regards!

I have two of the SWFA SS 3-9X42 on gas guns a LMT MWS and a M1A NM with a combined round count of over 3,000 rounds with no problems. I paid $600.00 for one and $500.00 for the other off the sample list at SWFA. Snipers Hide members get a 10% discount using the code SSHIDE on the 3-9X42 or the 10X HD. With the SWFA line you don't have to spend a price equal to the cost of the rifle to get a high quality optic because you are buying direct from the manufacture. You may want to wait and get the SWFA SS 1-4 HD for the 5.56 as it has CQB advantages. I've linked you to some SS reviews at the bottom of the page. Photos; top, my gas guns with SS 3-9. Second photo, targets shot with LMT, yellow steel 500 yards, white steel 300 yards rapid and paper 100 yards. Third, yellow steel shot at 700 yards with LMT and SS 1-4 HD, group measures 7 1/2".

[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]

[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]
<a href="http://img560.imageshack.us/i/supersniper007.jpg/IMG" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

[img</a>

Uploaded with [url="http://imageshack.us"]ImageShack.us
img]

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1843898&page=1

http://www.opticstalk.com/swfa-ss-39x42-review-by-mike-miller_topic23715.html

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2245510&page=1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JR1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

... I would like to have the option of taking a semi-auto if the situation called for it, but I don't feel confident with the cheap glass I have on them.

1. The bolt gun wears a $1100 Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40.
2. The AR-308 wears a $350 Burris FullField II Ballistiplex 3-9x50.
3. The AR-15 wears a $120 Nikon Prostaff BDC 3-9x40.

</div></div>

My first question is what kind of situation would make you pick the ar-15 over the others? That would make a difference in what I would choose. are you anticipating the need for cqb if you'd pick the ar-15 over the others?

If not and you are just looking for something for precision shots, I am a big fan of standardizing what I have on my guns. I find it too much of a thing to deal with different scopes, red dot sights, lights, etc., so mine have all the same equipment on them. my suggestion would be to pick the one scope of the three you like the best and get another one, even if it means you have to save a little more and wait a bit longer to buy it.

just makes things easier for an aging mind...
wink.gif

Someone please explain why LE needs a can on a duty weapon?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rarebreed93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someone please explain why LE needs a can on a duty weapon? </div></div>

i can see it for situations with multiple bad guys, and others.

I'm surprised the department you work for would use that cheap of a scope. I'm not saying they aren't good but around here the marksman shooters have top notch equipment. I would still go with the Super Sniper though, even if the don't have the LEO discount, it's still probably cheaper then any scope your going to find that compares to it, unless you get the 3-9 SS, which is still reasonably priced for what it is.

Vortex Viper PST 4-16 might be an option for you.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-4-16x50-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle

They also have an FFP model and the post on here a lot.

The Bushnell Elite 4200 - I hear a lot of guys giving good reviews about them, but I'm not sure if they have a lit reticle.

I'm sure as LE you'd want a lit reticle. I know the Viper PST have them but I don't know if Bushnell Elite 4200 scopes do.

For the AR-15 maybe you could score a used Trijicon ACOG?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JelloStorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vortex Viper PST 4-16 might be an option for you.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-4-16x50-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle

They also have an FFP model and the post on here a lot.

The Bushnell Elite 4200 - I hear a lot of guys giving good reviews about them, but I'm not sure if they have a lit reticle.

I'm sure as LE you'd want a lit reticle. I know the Viper PST have them but I don't know if Bushnell Elite 4200 scopes do.

For the AR-15 maybe you could score a used Trijicon ACOG? </div></div>

The Bushnell Elite 4200 ffp scopes DO have a lit reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rarebreed93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someone please explain why LE needs a can on a duty weapon? </div></div>

As long as you will explain why a civilian needs to own a can at all.

Lord knows a bunch of us would love em for our entry team. Some SBR's with cans would be nice........:(.....fucking IL. Also, one could argue the change in sound signature could help to designate who is shooting, good guy or bad guy. Believe it or not SWAT teams have shot it out with their own teammates when doing multiple entries and shots fired.

To the OP, "cheap" glass is NEVER the answer. "Affordable" glass is acceptable. I've never regretted buying quality scopes, but I have had regrets buying cheap ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rarebreed93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someone please explain why LE needs a can on a duty weapon? </div></div>

As long as you will explain why a civilian needs to own a can at all.</div></div>

I think can's should be used by everyone all the time. I just wish that someone with some common sense would make it easier for civilian's to buy them.

Thank you all.

I've been giving the Super Sniper and the Bushnells a hard look. They look like good options. Although, I also like standardization, so getting another Mk4 makes sense too.

In defense of my outfit, the crappy scopes are mine. The precision bolt gun, Leupold Mk4, PN/PVS, and sound suppressor belong to the team. We have been debating for years about putting magnification on some of the AR-15s as an option to observer/marksman teams. We still haven't done it.

The precision AR-15 is in addition to my 11.5 inch M4, so it would not be for CQB. Everyone has an M4, but there are several 16 and 18-inch match-barreled rifles available with irons and red-dots. To me, they scream for magnification. I would like to see us put quality scopes on the longer barreled ARs to have spotters equipped with a lighter, semi-auto rifle. We usually have marksmen go out in pairs - both with heavy 24-inch barrel bolt guns.

I think I'm going to take the advice and just get one quality personally-owned scope for either the AR-308 or AR-15 for now. I haven't decided which. We might still magnify them all down the road, if we can get the funding.

As far as sound suppressors: they're not evil. PilotGuy and PointBlank pretty much explained it. We have cans for entry ARs and MPs as well. They are quieter, have no flash, are easier to control, more accurate, and have a higher muzzle velocity. Some guys don't use them due to the added length, but I really like them. On the MP, they are VERY quiet. If you were issued one, would you leave it in the box? :)

Thanks again to everyone.

This is hearsay, but I've been told cans for entry teams are a necessity if you have to go into a meth lab.
It also makes sense for everyone in terms of being able to communicate more easily.

Ever seen a fight pause so the participants could put on their hearing protection?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JR1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yah know...at about this point in your tenure here on the hide ....you may be aware that troll status has been achieved .

please complete your profile </div></div>

I'm not sure what any of that means.</div></div>

my money is that you are a troll......or a refugee from barf15.com

Re: Just get a SS for a precision gas gun

Thank you to everyone for the great advice! I appreciate the help.

I ended up getting a SS 3-9 and mounted it with a Bobro 30mm, low, extended mount. I tried it on my AR-15 and FAR-308.

On the AR-15, unfortunately, it left no room to mount my PVS-22, but it was otherwise very good. Despite the match barrel, with authorized service ammo the accuracy was acceptable but not excellent - about 2 MOA. I do not have a choice in ammunition, and what is authorized is free. So there's that. Thus, with the options I am given, this might be more scope than is necessary in this role. A 1-4 might be in my future, however.

I also mounted it on the FAR-308 and it also worked very well. There was enough rail space for the PVS-22, but only if I removed the front BUIS. With the BUIS gone, the QD feature of the Bobro seems unnecessary, but I still like it. Additionally, the Bobro mounted higher than the Leupold Mk4 rings I had on before so the NOD doesn't line up quite right. Nevertheless, it seems to function perfectly fine. The Bobro seems excellent in quality and locks in quickly and decisively.

TitanMar2011008.jpg

I sighted in at 100 yards and was very pleased with the mil/mil feature of the SS. It altogether too easy to zero in by just reading the mils. I liked that a lot! I was short on time, so I printed off a quick data card for this gun and took it out to 200 and 300 with some FGMM. I knocked on a steel silhouette at 300 and was only 1 click low on elevation. It was quick and easy to adjust and note the correct dope without getting off my belly.

I'll have to put the Harris back on and take the time to wring out all the data this weekend.

Thanks again for the great advice. I'll go back to trolling now.
wink.gif

Shoot safe,
JR