• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Just given a Winchester model 70 30-06

GrendelShooter

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2017
Behind enemy lines, Ca
...and I’m kinda lost on what to do with it.
I’m an AR guy, only bolt gun I have is an old Yugoslav M48 in 8mm and I haven’t shot that in 20 years.

My old man gave me this model 70 in 30-06. He picked it up in the early 70’s apparently new, the serial number looks to be from 70-71.
Since he bought it he’s shot less than a full box of ammo through it. It has a bit of surface rust but it is pristine otherwise.

With Norma 165gr hunting ammo it pulls off 1.5 inch groups pretty easily. Since I fired it I’ve free floated the barrel and cooked up some handloads to test (Norma brass, br-2, 178gr ELD-x, imr 4350) so hopefully I’ll see some improvement.

Question is, is this worth turning into a precision rifle project?

I’d keep it in -06, but would need to rebarrel it from the lightweight hunting barrel it has, which would mean gunsmithing, blueprinting, etc, and I have no idea what that would run.
Seems parts for the long action model 70 are hard to come by and expensive if you can find them-I can’t even find a chassis system for it.
What all would I be looking at doing to turn this into a reliable 1000 yard gun, assuming the shooter was capable of course.

My dad gave me a Wetherby Mark V 30-06 with a redfield 4-12X ultimate illuminator, I have never shot a single group under 2 inches with most between three and four. I would not change a thing, because the memory of my dad has become important than another tack driver would be.

It’s a really solid action and I have been more than happy with the build I did on mine. If you’re willing to wait for a stock, McMillan’s m70 inlet is second to none. I know ptg and cdi both make DBM bottom metal if that’s your thing. The action does need to be modified slightly to make it work. There’s a lot of Smith’s out there that work on them (may I recommend Robert Snyder) and they make for a really nice rifle when finished. Mine still has the slickest bolt I’ve ever felt and the three position safety is awesome in the field. Factory trigger is adjustable to be pretty damn nice as well.

I’m not too attached to this gun, it wasn’t very valuable to my old man, that’s why he gave it to me lol.

The trigger is pretty damn good as is, but a new stock and barrel would definitely be nice. What’s the going rate to have a rifle blueprinted and rebarreled?

Reactions: mheimer_45
GA precision will do it for the same price as a rem 700 I believe.

They charge a pretty reasonable price to blueprint in conjunction with barrel install. Check their website out but the barrel+install+Blueprinting is a little under 900 if I recall correctly.

Slow down, and catch a breath or two.

The M70 .30-'06 Featherweight I recently handed down to my Son-in-Law was/still is one tack driving rifle. Some of those push feed M70's have very decent hunter-weight barrels. Mine responded to FGMM 168gr, and a very effective clone can be handloaded using Hornady Brass, CCI BR-2, 168SMK, and 48.1gr of IMR-4064. For hunting, same load, except 165SGK. It took 4th in the 1997 NJ State Sniper match for me, and had won every Deer rifle match I entered it into. It continues to harvest Upstate NY Whitetails at the rate of several per year.

There are instances where a good hunter-type rifle can deliver sustained accuracy in match type courses. It all depends on the barrel. Remember, a heavy barrel carries collateral issues (weight, for one), and while it can absorb a lot of heat over long courses of sustained fire, it takes an equally longer period to cool back down. With a lighter barrel that does not exhibit zero-walk, that cool down period is a lot quicker.

So don't sell yours short just yet. If it shoots well with the FGMM, it's well worth a few minor tweaks to bring it on all the way home. Shooting well without the tweaks equates to about 1MOA at 100yd.

If it passes the FGMM test, have a good smith do a trigger adjustment and glass bed it. It should be pretty near impeccable, handy to carry and shoot, and end up being a bargain to boot. Mine has a Weaver V-16 on it. The .30-'06 with 175gr handloads and maybe a 20MOA scope base should be good out to 1000yd. Just understand that recoil management will be your key issue with the heavier projectiles. Twenty rounds prone with 175's can be a chore. But while the '06 can recoil stiff, its not a magnum; and should be sustainable for those extra long shots (over 600yd) where the 175's are justifiable.

For touch-up blue, Brownell's 44-40 is outstanding; helps out a lot with the VFW Post's Garands, too.

Greg

Last edited:
I have a stock 70's M70 30-06 that shoots 180 SMK's into .750 no problem. Its only fault is no recoil pad so in the summer late in the evening you get reminded that you did some shooting.

I appreciate the words of wisdom here.
The trigger is already amazing-very crisp, no creep at all, and light. It makes my geissele triggers seem like crap.
I free floated the wooden stock and made up handloads to test this weekend. It does wear a 20MOA base and SWFA 3-15x42. I will work up slowly with the rifle as it did, in stock 50 year old form turn in a 1.5 inch group with soft point hunting ammo, and it’s a very handy rifle as is, gotta love iron sights!

One thing though-shooting ARs my whole life has made me a recoil pussy. 40 rounds through this thing left me bruised and tired lol.

I know I need to shorten the stock and add a limb saver, and curiously the stock was factory drilled for 2 of the mercury recoil compensators so I may try one out.

When I was a teen, my father gave me a WInchester M70 in 270. It was one of the walmart specials. I am slowly in the process of turning it into atop notch hunting rifle. I had Manners make a me a EH1-A in swamp camo, using CDI bottom metal, and putting a Hawkhill barrel chambered in 6.5-284. Trigger was worked over years ago and is solid and I am sure a Nightforce will top it.

I am stoked for the finished product.

Have fun.