• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Just got a 6.5 blank. Chamber Ideas?

JWV

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2009
Mich State Univ, East Lansing
I have a 28 inch McGowan blank I got on the cheap. I have several short actions and one long action that I could put this on. My long action currently has a 260AI on it. Would the next logical chambering be the 6.5 Creedmore? I would like to use this rifle for a 1000 Tac Match this spring at a new training UKD range opening in Michigan. This will be on a Savage action, so if necessary, I could put the 260 AI on one of the short actions. Also, I just sold all my 6.5x55 brass and dies at a big loss so I am not really ready to bite that bullet again.

Justin

Re: Just got a 6.5 blank. Chamber Ideas?

Creed! 140 amax at 2800ish fps with .585BC

Bullet flight says it goes subsonic at about 1350 yds sea level.

Why not a Creed with 140gr Berger VLDs? 2800fps and .612 BC
smile.gif

6.5x47 Lapua!

So where's this new range in Michigan located?

Creedmoor is an excellent choice!
grin.gif

I figured it was going to be between the Lapua and Creedmore. Glock, the new range is going to be in Lake City. Check out their website. They are called Marksmanship Training Facility.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I figured it was going to be between the Lapua and Creedmore. Glock, the new range is going to be in Lake City.</div></div>

I was dealing with same question a couple years ago. I went to the 2009 TPRC in AZ and lost almost all my brass...realized that if I planned on shooting alot of comps I would be spending a ton on brass (Lapua). I ended up going with Creedmoor, cheap components and factory match ammo! I've great results with the round...

I love my 6.5x47L. It slings the 130VLDs at 2900. And on a short action there is plenty of room to seat bullets wherever you want

I see the most advantages going to the 6.5x47L. But if you have a .260 AI, why another 6.5?

I'd sell the barrel and try something different rather than overlapping what I have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how about a 6.5 Grendel. Not many of them in bolt action floating around. </div></div>

There might be a reason for that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sell the 6.5 and go 6mm CM.
105s @3100fps and 4,000 rounds out of a barrel
All the cool kids are now doing it </div></div>

...or Just go with 6XC, it's a proven long range round. It's won a couple National Long Range Championships as well as well as numerous Highpower National Championships (200, 300 and 600 yrds). Brass and dies are readily available.

http://www.6mmbr.com/6XC.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how about a 6.5 Grendel. Not many of them in bolt action floating around. </div></div>

There might be a reason for that. </div></div>

Ah .... it's a fun little round.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how about a 6.5 Grendel. Not many of them in bolt action floating around. </div></div>

There might be a reason for that. </div></div>

Ah .... it's a fun little round. </div></div>

Impressive too but, it was designed for the AR platform. There are a few out there but, bolt actions with the correct bolt face are not very common.

Ill toss a vote in for either 6.5 Lapua, CM or .260

CM has the shorter hand for brass selection, with 6.5L in the middle and .260 with the best selection. Great factory match loads for all 3 I'm sure.

I'd put more emphasis on who is chambering the barrel than what chamber to go with since these 3 rounds are pretty darn close in performance.

More to puzzle about.

I am waiting on the barrels, the reamer et al. are in hand for a pair of 6.5 Super Long Range (6.5 SLR)

There isn't a nickels worth of difference between the three common 6.5 rounds. But I think the Lapua and the Creedmore are teh better of the three. They use the case dimensions more efficiently than 260, but they're all three equally accurate and are accelerated similarly.

CM is just a longer Grendel , I'd go x47 or CM. You really cant go wrong with the big 3 6.5's as Casey said.

Will the 6.5x47 have enough steam to be effective in a 1k Tac match? And do they feed reliably out of standard 308 mags?

I'll through another one into the fray... A 6.5x55 AI. Building one for a friend and this is one sweet cartridge!

Absolutely. My 6.5 Lapua 27" mcgowen 40.4g H4350 140 VLD @2800. I go to 1100 (9.3 mils)with ease. Even went to 1730 with decent results.

The barrel life of a 6mmCM is going to be approx 4000 rounds? I ask because I have a brand new reamer and barrel blank for one but was worried about barrel life like on my 6mmAI.

I also have a 6.5x47 and 6.5CM, due to my time constraints I prefer the cheaper 6.5CM match ammo

Deep in this hole right now myself....I decided to do 6.5mm SLR/s.

No fireforming, 260ai performance with better brass/barrel life supposedly. I should be happy with 2900fps+ on 142smk's in a short action with no pressure signs,and I am not married to one brass manufacturer. We'll see how this plays out in real life instead of the internet napkin.
Chad at Long Rifles has me thinkin' hard on the 6 comp match though.
Guess I'll have to "collect the whole set"....

I love my Creedmoor !
Extremely accurate factory ammo is less than $ 25.00 a box if you order it online
My Savage model 12LRP shoots between 3/4 and 1/4 MOA if I do my part.

If you're already set up to load 260 AI, then switching chamberings would seem counterproductive if you're wanting to shoot 1K or longer distances.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IanWRX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Umm 260? Federal is coming out with factory match loads. And Lapua makes 260 brass.</div></div>

Yuupppp! You already have an 260AI....

Or you could throw it on that longaction and do a 6.5-06.

260 has been great so far, GMM 260 will be nice, also if your loosing brass at comps rem brass is cheap and can shoot well with some prep.

Ugh. I hate options!!! Local benchrest smith said he would chamber, crown and fit my barrel for 125 bucks in my choice of caliber too!

6.5-06 is another good choice. If cost is a Factor Creedmoor will be cheaper to shoot.

Hey Jordan@NTO. you stated the CM is just a longer Grendel. They have one thing in common, that is they both use 6.5 bullets. The case diameter is different. No comparison. Grendel uses 7.62x39 case as parent, CM uses the 30TC which is close to 22-250imp case.

It all depends on how you'll use it.

260 has both cheap and Lapua brass, but you either lose case capacity or run into magazine length constraints shooting the longer bullets. Factory match ammo is out there from several manufacturers, but it is on the expensive side.

6.5x47 has great brass, no cheap brass option if you shoot matches where you can't collect, no length issues. Factory match ammo is crazy-expensive.

6.5CM has decent brass, but no option for Lapua, no length issues. Factory match ammo is only slightly more expensive than buying Lapua brass for the other two!

I'm thinking of giving the Creedmoor a try. I handload, but sometimes I just don't feel like it, or don't have the time to make enough before a match. Leaving Lapua brass on the ground doesn't interest me, and I like having bullets where they need to be without worrying about magazine length.

It's all in what you're going to do with the rifle and how much you're affected by brass/ammo costs. A few have mentioned going to 6mm, and that may be a great option if you shoot a lot of paper, but hits on steel at distance are harder for ROs to spot (and score). If you shoot matches that are primarily steel, I'd stick with the 6.5.

Charlie, you dont collect your brass after a stage in a match?
I'll hold up the competition to get my Lapua brass out of the mud!.....but I always seem to loose a few
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Jordan@NTO. you stated the CM is just a longer Grendel. They have one thing in common, that is they both use 6.5 bullets. The case diameter is different. No comparison. Grendel uses 7.62x39 case as parent, CM uses the 30TC which is close to 22-250imp case. </div></div>

I didn't mean literally as you've already pointed out however for comparison purposes it was meant as I stated dimensionally speaking.

I agree with Tyler. Why have ballistic twins? Shoot the 260AI until it needs a new tube and decide the chambering when it's time to toss the old barrel.