• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just Got a Good Deal On Rem 700 SPS !!

dpmcclellan

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2008
North Carolina
As everyone knows Remington had the recall on the Rem 700 triggers, well I have been checking around everywhere (locally) for a new Rem 700 SPS in .308 for a new Duty Sniper Rifle build for use on our SWAT team. Everyone was out (all sent back to Rem for recall). Well, I finally found a SPS Varmint model in stock at a local dealer/gun store for $560. I snatched it up fast before they shipped it back to Rem for the recall. The trigger is not a concern for me because it will be changed out to a Jewel, or Timney during this build. Now to order the Bell and Carlson Tactical Stock and to get everything else needed to get this thing "duty ready".

Danny

Sounds like a good find. Not a recommendation, just making conversation. I like the Timney's. Jewels feel better but get kind of temperamental when gritty and dirty. I have shot in a lot of matches where things have been bad (windy, sandy, muddy) and it always seems like the Jewell guys have problems with them. I wouldn't want a temperamental duty weapon.

I must admit...I'm surprised your department would allow you to change out a trigger...
Let alone allow you to use a rifle that is on a recall list without at least a trip back to the manufacturer...
Nice price though,I paid $610.00 just before the recall and thought I had a deal...

Oakland tacktical had them $550 shipped while back. I picked one up, threw out the stock and trigger. Got the b&c and timney and you have a decent budget shooter.
6u8any9e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I haven't made "cop" talk with any of my chums,in a very long time so anything I think I remember is probably wrong...
But I was curious as to why you didn't use Remington's LE discount...
Did Remington stop doing that or was the price still higher than a what you ended up paying...???

brwn bggr,
Not sure if it would have saved much or not. Did'nt check on this one. I think from the web searches and checking around that I did that this price was pretty decent, especially considering that most everyone had sent all of their 700s back to Rem for the trigger recall. Some dealers that I talked to said that they had no idea when the rifle would be back on their shelves. The one that I found was the only one that this dealer had in stock in .308 so I did'nt want to loose it by checking around anymore. To your other question about my department allowing me to use the rifle with a trigger swap, we have a fairly small department with a real small budget so our only way to have sniper's on our team is to allow them to buy/build our own personal rifles and supply our own sniper gear so we build and shoot what we want as long as it's not radical, besides a trigger change is a minor factor in my opinion when building a custom rifle for duty use. On a second note I am a 20 year member of our department and SWAT team so I take part in setting our policies for SWAT.

Cool Danny...!
Glad to hear your in the mix...
It seems that daily,zip tie rules of engagement are employed more and more,so that the administrator's have an easier time negotiating the legal mine field...