• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just got my 700 SPSV back... Now what

Doughtdawg

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2012
Maine
Just got my SPS V back in .308. Stock action and 26" 1:12 twist barrel. I've got a Bell and Carlson stock bedded to action, Timney trigger, and 12x SS scope. Just wondering what a good starting point for factory ammo would be for this stock gun. I'm thinking 168's but also see some shooting the 175's. Just trying to feel out what you guys are getting best groups with. I know it's always gun specific. Just looking for a starting line. Thanks in advance guys!

Alan

Re: Just got my 700 SPSV back... Now what

I would just start/stick with Sierra FGMM 175's. Buy factory rounds, then start reloading when the ammo costs too much!

165gr Hornady SST + 42.5g RL15 = amazing

Good til 700 yards. Haven't had the chance to push past that but that's my best load for 600 yard comps =)

Like others have said anything from about 600yds and closer go with 168's. Past that go with the 175s so they're not getting blown around so much. Can't go wrong with a couple boxes of both from FGMM or Southwest Ammo's reloads.

Hornady 168 Amax match will cloverleaf out at 100 out of mine 3/8 to 1/2 MOA. I handload now, similar results, variety of bullets.