• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Just got my PVS 14

DR.Thompson

Private
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2018
I am some what new to night vision. I have an ATN 3 x 14 day/night scope but never had better quality night vision
equipment. I ordered an ITT Gen 3 PVS14 night vision monocular from Will's Optics. First they were great to deal with.
Very informative. Second the device came in a timely manner. Then looking through the monocular, it was so clean. No black spots,
no honey combing that I have read about. All of the mounts were perfect, along with a team Wendy helmet. Just have to get orientated using it.
Got it for hog hunting. Next thing is probably a laser aiming device. Will take any advice that anyone is willing to offer on that.
Hats off to Wills Optics.

You've got three classes of options ... :)

01 - Tricycle with duck tape
02 - Caddy lack
03 - Space Shuttle

==
01 - Tricycle with duck tape ... the Laser Max Ir-laser .. about $160 on Amazon last time I looked with pressure switch. I have 2 of these ... one on .22LR and one on Moosberg T930 ... both still working after 3.5 years ... though both pressure pads died ... the lasers both work. They require cleaning the contacts when you change the batts ... and are a bit of a pain to zero ... with little allen wrenches ... need to wrap painters tape around them so you can find the wrench if you drop it on the ground. Otherwise they work fine out to 150yds ... which is a far as I try to shoot at night standing unsupported. Oh a mid-power ir-illum on the helmet helps wash out the bloom .. which is useful when zeroing.

02 - Caddy Lack
In this camp I have the Steiner CQBL ($700 or so on Amazon) and a PAQ-4C (ebay for $400) ... both are about the same .. PAQ-4c a little lighter. But beams about the same. They are both fine.

03 - Space Shuttle ...
If you want something resembling full power ... the PEQ-15s can be seen on ebay for around $2k .. sometimes a little more sometimes and little less ... and also on here ... and PEQ-2as as well ..
My full power simulator is a stand alone full power laser pointer ($400) with a separate Luna ELIR-3 ($350) tuned to optimal use. So there are non-integrated options as well, but you have to hunt for the stand alone laser pointers in this space. The PEQ-15 and 2A are more highly available.

==
So pick your poison!!!

Tricycle with duck tape $150

Civilian laser pointer $400 to $700

Full power laser pointer/ir-illum $750 to $2,500

==
For ir-laser hunting, not sure you need a full power illuminator as your distances won't be so great ... so a low power illuminator on your helmet should be fine ... and same for high power pointer ... for 150 yds ... any ir-laser will do ...

And I use the laser max on the .22lr ... and the PAQ-4C on 5.56(10.5) the most ... and they both work fine ...

paq-4c with pvs-14/29 on helmet ... good for coop defense against predators like coons/opossum ... inside 150yds

hVgeChIh.jpg

For your lid...

You can find this on flee bay for @ 1/2 the $. It is a fantastic light in every respect. SF V1 Vampire

This is an outstanding complimentary light in multi colors Charge MPLS

You've got three classes of options ... :)

01 - Tricycle with duck tape
02 - Caddy lack
03 - Space Shuttle

==
01 - Tricycle with duck tape ... the Laser Max Ir-laser .. about $160 on Amazon last time I looked with pressure switch. I have 2 of these ... one on .22LR and one on Moosberg T930 ... both still working after 3.5 years ... though both pressure pads died ... the lasers both work. They require cleaning the contacts when you change the batts ... and are a bit of a pain to zero ... with little allen wrenches ... need to wrap painters tape around them so you can find the wrench if you drop it on the ground. Otherwise they work fine out to 150yds ... which is a far as I try to shoot at night standing unsupported. Oh a mid-power ir-illum on the helmet helps wash out the bloom .. which is useful when zeroing.

02 - Caddy Lack
In this camp I have the Steiner CQBL ($700 or so on Amazon) and a PAQ-4C (ebay for $400) ... both are about the same .. PAQ-4c a little lighter. But beams about the same. They are both fine.

03 - Space Shuttle ...
If you want something resembling full power ... the PEQ-15s can be seen on ebay for around $2k .. sometimes a little more sometimes and little less ... and also on here ... and PEQ-2as as well ..
My full power simulator is a stand alone full power laser pointer ($400) with a separate Luna ELIR-3 ($350) tuned to optimal use. So there are non-integrated options as well, but you have to hunt for the stand alone laser pointers in this space. The PEQ-15 and 2A are more highly available.

==
So pick your poison!!!

Tricycle with duck tape $150

Civilian laser pointer $400 to $700

Full power laser pointer/ir-illum $750 to $2,500

==
For ir-laser hunting, not sure you need a full power illuminator as your distances won't be so great ... so a low power illuminator on your helmet should be fine ... and same for high power pointer ... for 150 yds ... any ir-laser will do ...

And I use the laser max on the .22lr ... and the PAQ-4C on 5.56(10.5) the most ... and they both work fine ...

Thanks for all of the information. Looks like I have to go to work again tomorrow to pay the bill that I am going to create.

Will take any advice that anyone is willing to offer on that.
I've tried a bunch of devices, if you can't get a PEQ15 then I think next best device is the DBAL-D2. The other units that Steiner offers either don't have coaligned lasers, which is a non-starter for me, or don't have enough illuminator power. The D2 is a bit heavier, but the powerful illuminator more than makes up for it. Being focusable is also nice. There's a bit of downrange signature, but I don't think the piggies'd mind.

Problems I have with the "integrated" (laser and illuminator in one box) are that the civ versions have crappy illuminators and that for 150 yds standing un supporting shooting, any ir-laser will do.

And for me ... the guns I put lasers on ... the carbines ... are not the same guns I want the illuminators on ... the rifles which would be having the PVS-30 on there. So I don't even want them on the same rifles ... so for me:

01 - Anything for an ir-laser on the carbines (for short distance)
02 - ELIR-3 for an illuminator on the rifles (to reach out in support of the PVS-30)

Problems I have with the "integrated" (laser and illuminator in one box) are that the civ versions have crappy illuminators and that for 150 yds standing un supporting shooting, any ir-laser will do.

Definitely agree in general, though I still maintain that the D2 is usable. I wouldn't advocate for any of their other ones, including the A3 and A4. The PEQ15 is still a superior solution here.

And for me ... the guns I put lasers on ... the carbines ... are not the same guns I want the illuminators on ... the rifles which would be having the PVS-30 on there. So I don't even want them on the same rifles ... so for me:

01 - Anything for an ir-laser on the carbines (for short distance)
02 - ELIR-3 for an illuminator on the rifles (to reach out in support of the PVS-30)

Don't disagree here either, but the OP was asking about a PVS-14s and helmets, so I assumed he was head-mounting and walking, not coaligning. If you are walking and scanning with a head-mounted unit, you will need an illuminator on your carbine.

And, as I say that, I'd also posit that having a unit that didn't allow you to activate illumination and laser at the same button press is also a non-starter. Especially on dark/overcast nights and when there's brush and shadow, you need both, and when there's targets, you need them both at the same time and without a few seconds to fumble through multiple activations.

All great comments, and things I really need to consider. Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge.
I am always eager for information that helps me make a good purchase verses having buyers remorse.

so i have a different philosophy.

1. lightest laser on the gun that i feel i can trust - steiner otal ir ital. i have no need or desire for a daylight laser. since these are $400 or less it leaves lots of money for other stuff.

2. illuminator on helmet. let’s me tag things while standing and walking. surefire illum works good.

3. luna illum on my clip on nods setup. perfect for long range stuff.

1. lightest laser on the gun that i feel i can trust - steiner otal ir ital. i have no need or desire for a daylight laser. since these are $400 or less it leaves lots of money for other stuff.

The weight is nice, but I can't abide not being able to quickly confirm zero with a slaved vis laser. I hate trying to zero IR lasers any other way, total PITA.

2. illuminator on helmet. let’s me tag things while standing and walking. surefire illum works good.

I've tried this too, and to each their own, it has merit. I didn't like the extra battery consumption and the shadowing, and the lack of easy focusability. For me a focusable illuminator is also a must - where I hunt, scanning up close to several hondo yards away is always, so the focus is a necessity.

I agree with your points - but for me the balance tilts the other way.

Just a personal/situational thing - I shoot at night 100 days a year or so and with a large group of folks. As such its not as much of a stinging ass pain to have no vis laser.

I also don't hunt critters with any illumination - it isn't legal to hunt with IR illum in CO.

The weight is nice, but I can't abide not being able to quickly confirm zero with a slaved vis laser. I hate trying to zero IR lasers any other way, total PITA.

I've tried this too, and to each their own, it has merit. I didn't like the extra battery consumption and the shadowing, and the lack of easy focusability. For me a focusable illuminator is also a must - where I hunt, scanning up close to several hondo yards away is always, so the focus is a necessity.