• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Just got my Schmidt 3-20 . . . no MTC?

jonthomps

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 9, 2009
    Kansas City
    I just got my new 3-20x50 Schmidt from Chris @ Sport Optics. As I took it out of the package and was ogling it I noticed the turrets didn't have the MTC - elevation or windage. They are the normal locking turrets, but not MTC. When I was debating between the 5-25 and 3-20 the MTC thing almost swung me in the direction of the 5-25; I really didn't want the MTC for the many reasons stated by various other posts on here.

I thought the turrets might be disengaged so I threw a bore sighter on the muzzle. No problems there, elv and wind knobs moving the reticle around just like they should. I called Chris and he couldn't explain it either! I've attached a pic of the box that doesn't show "MTC" on it anywhere. I'm certainly not complaining, but does anyone have any info on this? Guess I just lucked out.

photo.jpg

Re: Just got my Schmidt 3-20 . . . no MTC?

It is obviously not correct, send it to me and I will send you one with the correct MTC turrets
    wink.gif

Hopefully nothing is wrong with it and you just got lucky. What are the chances S&B started sending these out without the MTC after all the complaints? Slim to none I expect...

They'd have a lot of happy customers if they did start sending these stateside. I keep playing with the turrets thinking I'm missing something.

Actually, looking at my box it says the exact same thing as yours.
    You can contact Jerry R. on here and he can answer your question better than anyone.

1-703-953-1253: Phone number for the US service center in Virginia. Ask for Jerry or Phil

There are currently no non MTC 3-20s and it certainly sounds as if something is not right, but in your case it seems to have worked out in your favor.
    If it is an issue I'd be more than happy to take a look at it when I return from Germany. I'll be back in the service center the week of 10 September.

Can you take a picture of the turrets on your scope? Do they look like the 5-25 standard (yellow window) turrets?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeeprider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you take a picture of the turrets on your scope? Do they look like the 5-25 standard (yellow window) turrets? </div></div>

Here ya go. Standard 3-20 locking turrets. Everything looks the same except for the non-MTC function. I'll try to post a video here in a minute.
    IMG_1109.jpg

This is the best I could do for a video. It's totally crappy, but you can see what happening. Turn your volume up and you can hear the clicks.
    jonthomps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are currently no non MTC 3-20s and it certainly sounds as if something is not right, but in your case it seems to have worked out in your favor.
    If it is an issue I'd be more than happy to take a look at it when I return from Germany. I'll be back in the service center the week of 10 September. </div></div>

Jerry R: Thank you very much. I appreciate the offer to help. You mentioned there might be something "not right." Does this mean mean broken?

Love the scope, hate the MTC feature. Sounds like you got lucky.

I can not tell from hearing it. It looks as though you had a hard time getting it to move off 0. Did you?
    Also, if you are on 0, can you dial to 1.1 or 1.2 with out dialing past it and having to look at the turret and dial back?

Nice optic, strange about no MTC. I couldn't hear a difference with the video so I think you are right. If you like it without the MTC I say keep it perhaps you can get compensated for lack of the MTC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can not tell from hearing it. It looks as though you had a hard time getting it to move off 0. Did you?
    Also, if you are on 0, can you dial to 1.1 or 1.2 with out dialing past it and having to look at the turret and dial back? </div></div>

I didn't have a tough time getting it off 0 - the place mat the scope was sitting kept slipping and I was holding my iphone in my other hand! I can dial .1, 1.1, 2.1, etc. without blowing past it no problem.

The scope looks similar to the 5-25 I had with the pop-up center in the turret. The 5-25 had the MTC. The turrets on yours look smaller in diameter tho.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where is KCMO?? </div></div>

It is a far away place were people actually mount their scopes on rifles and use them. Kansas City, MO

Thanks for the photo and video. It seems cosmetically to be the exact same turrets as the MTC. Very odd in a good way, I say keep it and be happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where is KCMO?? </div></div>

It is a far away place were people actually mount their scopes on rifles and use them. Kansas City, MO</div></div>

now thats some funny shit! good one

I got my 3-20 from Mike at CS Tactical in May. Like the OP, the box does not list MTC anywhere but the scope DOES have the MTC turrets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonthomps</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T2CH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can not tell from hearing it. It looks as though you had a hard time getting it to move off 0. Did you?
    Also, if you are on 0, can you dial to 1.1 or 1.2 with out dialing past it and having to look at the turret and dial back? </div></div>

I didn't have a tough time getting it off 0 - the place mat the scope was sitting kept slipping and I was holding my iphone in my other hand! I can dial .1, 1.1, 2.1, etc. without blowing past it no problem. </div></div>

Maybe you got one and they forget to put the MTC spring clicker thing in it for the MTC part, or it turned sideways during assembly. I say box test it and if it pans out then drive on.

I would get rid of mine if I could...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where is KCMO?? </div></div>

??? Did the captain of the special olympics team just comment on my thread?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonthomps</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where is KCMO?? </div></div>

??? Did the captain of the special olympics team just comment on my thread?</div></div>

Don't insult Special Olympians like that
    wink.gif

Sorry, I missed the discussions concerning MTC and the dislike of same. What is the issue? Is the "klunk" that stiff that going past it results in missing the regulare clicks?

I'm in an area without high end scopes to fondle and I have an S&B on order that has MTC. Will this be an ass ache for someone not shooting comps/making under pressure dial changes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonthomps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Jerry R: Thank you very much. I appreciate the offer to help. You mentioned there might be something "not right." Does this mean mean broken? </div></div>

No, definitely not broken. Sounds as if something is going on with your pressure pins but will in no way affect the performance of your scope. There is also a chance you may have a collapsed spring (or two) but not likely. My only concern is that IF your pins are turned perpendicular to your click ring it will eventually cut in to the ring so I would recommend sending it in for me to look at whenever is convenient for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, I missed the discussions concerning MTC and the dislike of same. What is the issue? Is the "klunk" that stiff that going past it results in missing the regulare clicks?

I'm in an area without high end scopes to fondle and I have an S&B on order that has MTC. Will this be an ass ache for someone not shooting comps/making under pressure dial changes? </div></div>

With the MTC once you go past a whole number it is very hard to stop on the next click, like going from 1 to 1.1. It will usually skip to 1.2 or 1.3. If you are not under time constraints it is not an issue. It is just annoying.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, I missed the discussions concerning MTC and the dislike of same. What is the issue? Is the "klunk" that stiff that going past it results in missing the regulare clicks?

I'm in an area without high end scopes to fondle and I have an S&B on order that has MTC. Will this be an ass ache for someone not shooting comps/making under pressure dial changes? </div></div>

With the MTC once you go past a whole number it is very hard to stop on the next click, like going from 1 to 1.1. It will usually skip to 1.2 or 1.3. If you are not under time constraints it is not an issue. It is just annoying.
    </div></div>

Thank you for the confirmation of what I thought the issue may be. My intent is to just lay on a mat and have fun shooting prone it will not be a big problem for me.

Regards the OP's situation. There was a post on here a few months ago from a member that deactivated his MTC by actually removing his turrets (a warranty violation) and turning the MTC detent from vertical to horizontal in the manner that the S&B rep states will damage your turret. He was advised against doing that by S&B. If you send your scope in to get checked out I wonder if they can spiff up your scope and remove the detent correctly for your troubles?

If your curious the other post had pics of what was done and you may be able to find it in the search engine. It was probably titled something like "Fix for MTC" or such.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSF</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, I missed the discussions concerning MTC and the dislike of same. What is the issue? Is the "klunk" that stiff that going past it results in missing the regulare clicks?

</div></div>

Thank you for the confirmation of what I thought the issue may be. My intent is to just lay on a mat and have fun shooting prone it will not be a big problem for me.

Regards the OP's situation. There was a post on here a few months ago from a member that deactivated his MTC by actually removing his turrets (a warranty violation) and turning the MTC detent from vertical to horizontal in the manner that the S&B rep states will damage your turret. He was advised against doing that by S&B. If you send your scope in to get checked out I wonder if they can spiff up your scope and remove the detent correctly for your troubles?

If your curious the other post had pics of what was done and you may be able to find it in the search engine. It was probably titled something like "Fix for MTC" or such. </div></div>

I tried to get Jerry to remove the MTC clicks on my 3-20 when I sent it in for parallax calibration. The answer was Germany had not approved this action and until they do he would not remove it. He also stated it was not a good idea for me to do it either as this would result in a scope no longer under warranty.

Jerry PM'ed me and I'll be sending the scope in when he gets back stateside just to make sure nothing is jacked up. I bought the scope knowing full well it was going to have MTC turrets so it's not a deal breaker if I get it back and all the sudden it has the MTC. It's more important to me that it functions as it was intended to.

Note: "Jacked up" is a technical term that only people who know where KCMO is will fully understand.