• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Just got off the phone with Larson Davis

TBACRAY

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
So I just had an interesting call with Bill M from Larson Davis. As many of you know there has been some ongoing debate about using the LXT meter for getting repeatable and accurate results with suppressed gun shots. I was trying to get them to come do a side by side test like I've done many times before. I wanted one of their reps and one of their machines side by side with a recently calibrated 2209. Bill had a conversation earlier today with our engineer Kurtis. After speaking to Kurtis, Bill went and looked into the specs of the Pulse (the only commercially available digital system that meets the mil spec I'm aware of). After looking at the specs and talking to his engineers he said there was no point in doing a side by side. He said that while the LXT would be just OK for unsuppressed shots it would not produce accurate repeatable numbers for suppressed shots. With a rise time of 30ms (10ms to slow) and a sample rate at barley 25% of the spec there was no way it could compare the Pulse or an analog system. I told him about the results I've seen and after talking to his people he wasn't surprised.
He was going to reach out to some people to learn more on why I've seen the results I have and share the info with me. I will keep you all posted.
I wish the LXT gave good numbers. I feel more people out there being able to show good repeatable results is a win for Thunder Beast and the industry as a whole.
But when the Pulse system and my 2209 meter can X 10 dB louder than our 338 Ultra and an LXT meters it serval dB better than our 338 something is wrong and any numbers from them have to be questioned. I even have correlating data from CRANE ASR testing to match my results. I really thank Bill for being honest and saying there is no way the LXT can replicated the numbers from an analog system like the 2209 or the older Larson Davis 800B or the super bad ass Pulse system.
And its not as simple as just adding a few dB. Besides missing the peak pressure not having a fast enough sample rate messing up the curve the system plots.
I will keep you all posted when he gets beak to me.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers