• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just had a malfunction with a factory load

SilverxFoX

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2005
New York
www.snipershide.com
Hello all,

I was out at the range about an hour ago zeroing in my .243 with its new scope. I had a couple of rounds downrange and everything was going well and it was time to get that last little adjustment. Then I took a shot and I couldn't see through my scope and noticed something came back toward my face. At first I thought something happened to my rifle until I took my face off the stock and noticed smoke bellowing out of my receiver and some out the back of the bolt shroud even! I ejected the spent case and noticed it split real low. I've never had this happen, is this a possible overcharge of powder? Should I worry about anything in my rifle? It seems okay but like I've said this is new to me. One thing I can say is Thank god for eye pro!

Something that may have been overlooked- any idea if the bullet may have been seated noticeably too deep? A few years ago I was loading mags with some factory 40 and noticed one bullet was very very deeply seated into the case. Not sure how that one got by QC. I am 100% sure if I would've not noticed and fired it, I'd be called lefty.

Looks like there was a defect in near the base, where the case is not supported. Glad you're OK. Contact Olin-Winchester.

I've tossed several casings of Win brass because of micro fissures around the case wall or shoulder....my guess is you had some bad brass. I love Win brass, and i continue to buy it, but do so knowing I need to look the cases over fully before loading them in hopes of preventing a situation like yours....make sure you look over yor factory ammo carefully before chambering them no matter what the brand.

Here's my .02 call Winchester and let them know and if you have any others ( boxes from the same lot) I would not shoot them, Glad your are ok it does happen

It only takes a tiny nick or dent in the brass disc punching to wind up with a tiny defect somewhere on the case. It could have resulted from a speck of brass from another punching adhering to the disc when it went to the forming press. When you think of how many millions of cases are produced each year, the QC is quite incredible. That is why a good gas control system (read "three rings of steel") is important. The defect could have been internal and probably was NOT detectable on exterior examination. JMHO

SilverFoX,

This is called a "K" split, and is considered a critical or hazardous defect. You'll find it described in full, along with a complete rundown of other case split defects on page 124 of the NRA book titled "Handloading." William C. Davis Jr. wrote the section covering these defects, and mentions that they're usually caused by inclusions or laminations in the brass during the draw process. By all means, let Winchester know about this. May result in a recall if they've had other issues with the same lot, but hearing from shooters is the only way they're going to find out about this.