• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just have a quick question about ammo testing.

jpop8807

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Nov 16, 2022
    Pueblo, CO
    I'm taking out the MK12 tomorrow, I have about 9 different boxes of ammo including the mk262 and various cheaper rounds. I want to test the accuracy, to see what the groups look like. I'm going to have a bit of fun with it. 3, 5, and 9 shot groups to see how they act with different temperatures of the barrel. When I transition to the next type of ammo is there anything I need to do to keep the playing field level? I have watched a few reviews online usually its a 3 shot group then let the barrel cool down, some people do bore cleaner and then enough patches until it comes out clean before moving to the next ammo. I'm still new to this long-range stuff as I'm sure I've said countless times. If I do that I have an otis cleaning kit should I run a brass brush down it a few times as well or whatever their brushes are made of or just stick to the patches? I just want this to be the most level playing field possible. I'm honestly just going to have fun, but figured why not. I'll eventually do the same with my 308 once I get accustomed to it. What do you guys recommend? I had a guy in the army with me that worked for daniel defense for a bit, and he used to harp on not cleaning m4 barrels until you see accuracy degrade something about filling imperfections in the barrel. Anyways any advice much appreciated. Actually one more thing. I hear if you're doing this whatever ammo gives you the best group you should adjust your zero/zero stops to. If I ever want to let someone else shoot my gun (girlfriend) but don't want them to shoot my expensive shit can I have a zero for the cheaper shit?

1b1.gif

Will try that when I find a place to push it out far enough.
    Just a suggestion, sir…

You should move this to the right semi-auto or Vintage area as you will probably not get many serious replies in the Bear Pit.

You have a bunch of questions that will get more - er - favorable consideration outside this wretched hive of scum and villainy! And I say that with greatest respect for my fellow villainous wretched scum.

Cheers and welcome…

Sirhr

Just a suggestion, sir…

You should move this to the right semi-auto or Vintage area as you will probably not get many serious replies in the Bear Pit.

You have a bunch of questions that will get more - er - favorable consideration outside this wretched hive of scum and villainy! And I say that with greatest respect for my fellow villainous wretched scum.

Cheers and welcome…

Sirhr
    Aw shit I thought I was in Semi auto area. Oops downside of having multiple tabs open. Can I delete this and start over? I'm looking for a move button but can't seem to find one.

Aw shit I thought I was in Semi auto area. Oops downside of having multiple tabs open. Can I delete this and start over? I'm looking for a move button but can't seem to find one.
    Yes you can… or a mod can move it if you ask nicely.

@MarinePMI pick up the white
    Courtesy phone. New guy with a good attitude needs some assistance in the lingerie department.

Sirhr

Oh come on. We’ll be good. I swear.

If I were not going to shoot a few hundred rounds, i would;

1) clean the barrel before I went out; tight patch with Boretech c4 cleaner

2) shoot 10 or so rounds; however many it takes to get it to “settle down” after the cleaning.

3) shoot the groups, taking small breaks between each.

4) not clean between groups or ammo types

5) Set up the rifle for the primary ammo and shooter. Write down offsets for other ammo/shooter

6) post pics of girlfriend in motivational and wife/girlfriend threads

Oh come on. We’ll be good. I swear.

If I were not going to shoot a few hundred rounds, i would;

1) clean the barrel before I went out; tight patch with Boretech c4 cleaner

2) shoot 10 or so rounds; however many it takes to get it to “settle down” after the cleaning.

3) shoot the groups, taking small breaks between each.

4) not clean between groups or ammo types

5) Set up the rifle for the primary ammo and shooter. Write down offsets for other ammo/shooter

6) post pics of girlfriend in motivational and wife/girlfriend threads
    @sirhrmechanic @hlee Thank you both. I got you on number 6) is ex's ok as well?

I'm taking out the MK12 tomorrow, I have about 9 different boxes of ammo including the mk262 and various cheaper rounds. I want to test the accuracy, to see what the groups look like. I'm going to have a bit of fun with it. 3, 5, and 9 shot groups to see how they act with different temperatures of the barrel. When I transition to the next type of ammo is there anything I need to do to keep the playing field level? I have watched a few reviews online usually its a 3 shot group then let the barrel cool down, some people do bore cleaner and then enough patches until it comes out clean before moving to the next ammo. I'm still new to this long-range stuff as I'm sure I've said countless times. If I do that I have an otis cleaning kit should I run a brass brush down it a few times as well or whatever their brushes are made of or just stick to the patches? I just want this to be the most level playing field possible. I'm honestly just going to have fun, but figured why not. I'll eventually do the same with my 308 once I get accustomed to it. What do you guys recommend? I had a guy in the army with me that worked for daniel defense for a bit, and he used to harp on not cleaning m4 barrels until you see accuracy degrade something about filling imperfections in the barrel. Anyways any advice much appreciated. Actually one more thing. I hear if you're doing this whatever ammo gives you the best group you should adjust your zero/zero stops to. If I ever want to let someone else shoot my gun (girlfriend) but don't want them to shoot my expensive shit can I have a zero for the cheaper shit?
    Theis dat you?????

Wait! Uhhh, I thought I was coming here to find the normal people.

When I shoot groups, it needs to be like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

You know, because it's better to drop your magnum load with a hot chick and a mirror.

Run about 100 rounds through it as quick as you can. 200-300 is better. Get that barrel super hot. Then shoot 20 shot groups. That is best for checking accuracy. Cleaning is overrated. Make sure you have good carbon buildup, that is key. If you haven’t yet make sure all your scope screws were put in and torqued down with an impact driver, you don’t want them coming out.

Follow me for more helpful tips.