• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Just keep looking...

RollingThunder51

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
U.S.A.
Well, you just never know. This is an unfired .45 Colt in its original box, with all the papers and its target. Serial Number in is an unbelievable 20000XX. Bill of sale? Yep, $44.00. Approx 1918.

Perfect in all regards..

Re: Just keep looking...

I know a good smith who could trick it out and bring it up to modern standards for you!!!
crazy.gif

Nice package man.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh man, don't have work done on it. </div></div>

Leave it the way it is! That's awesome!

you win

* any chance you can transcribe the "why it should be your choice" section on that packaging? id be interested to know the sales pitch from 92 years ago...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 051F</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you win

* any chance you can transcribe the "why it should be your choice" section on that packaging? id be interested to know the sales pitch from 92 years ago...</div></div>

Here it is:

"Why it should be your choice"

It is constant in its protection in your car, pocket, or home. It is equipped with safety features that absolutely prevent accidental discharge--further protecting the owner.

It is always - reliable. Extreme care in manufacture assures you of this.
It is accurate. For target practice, small game shooting, or personal protection and in the defense of Law and Order. Colt accuracy will serve you best.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, you just never know. This is an unfired .45 Colt in its original box, with all the papers and its target. Serial Number in is an unbelievable 20000XX. Bill of sale? Yep, $44.00. Approx 1918.

Perfect in all regards..

</div></div>

The Blue ink had me until I ran accross this searching for when blue ink was starting to be wideley used. I thought it was in the mid/late 50's for blue. Its a nice find either way but I think the bill of sale would be from the late 40's early 50's.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> the first ballpoint pens went on sale at Gimbels department store in New York City on 29 October 1945 for US$12.50 each</div></div>

First patent for colored in (blue, red, light purple) granted in 1773. The pen swelling at the base of the long strokes (number as an example) would suggest a fountain pen, not a ball pen. In any event these things are determined by serial numbers.

still true, 92 years later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GCMxVeGeTa</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 051F</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you win

* any chance you can transcribe the "why it should be your choice" section on that packaging? id be interested to know the sales pitch from 92 years ago...</div></div>

Here it is:

"Why it should be your choice"

It is constant in its protection in your car, pocket, or home. It is equipped with safety features that absolutely prevent accidental discharge--further protecting the owner.

It is always - reliable. Extreme care in manufacture assures you of this.
It is accurate. For target practice, small game shooting, or personal protection and in the defense of Law and Order. Colt accuracy will serve you best. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh man, don't have work done on it. </div></div>

Nobody in their right mind would, I think he was kidding...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bubble wrap was thought to be first used by the Wherdafugarwe indians in Loogootee, Indiana around 1750.</div></div>

And for those who don't know, Loogootee is just north of French Lick Indiana.

Alan

Super cool. Always wanted one of these and you scored bigtime with this one.

theres no way it's 1918 the trigger is short and there is finger notches behind the trigger guard, at the most it could be 1924 making it an 1911A1 not a 1911. Still looks great.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Colt: S/N 108,601 to 290,000 = Feb. 8, 1915 to May, 1918</span>
S/N 109,501 to 110,000 Navy Model
S/N 223,953 to 223,991 Navy Model,
S/N 232,001 to 233,600 Navy Model)
S/N 151,187 to 151,986 U.S.M.C. Model
S/N 185,801 to 186,201 U.S.M.C. Model,
S/N 209,587 to 210,386 U.S.M.C. Model
S/N 215,387 to 217,386 U.S.M.C. Model)

41, that is not bubblewrap, its Jan Brozek refined bee honeycomb filament wax paper, circa 1658.

Nice find! Good I love the .45ACP 1911/1911A1.

Not a 1918 made pistol. That is (from the photos) a 1911A1 in a commercial box. Since the OP posted the ser. is in the 2mil range "20000XX", that may be a 1944-1945. Also, the slide is way after 1918. As the dancing pony is not above the safety on the slide. An the grips look WWII GI plastic, not the wood checked with diamonds cut around the grip screws.

But the serial number 20000XX falls in the Remington-Rand range, so I have no clue. An that is a Colt commercial box not the Kaft box issues pistols sometimes came in.

See the ser. table here: http://guncollectorsclub.com/1911_military.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slimguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know a good smith who could trick it out and bring it up to modern standards for you!!!
crazy.gif

Nice package man. </div></div>

WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have got be kidding me. I'm sure the comment about 'tricking out' was a joke. Are there that many dense individuals out there?

It's still a nice gun even if it's not gold plated.

I had an unfired 1918 and that one is nothing close to a 1918. That is definately an A1.