• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Just luck or good shooting?

hangingchads

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2006
Las Vegas (Henderson) Nevada
So I went out yesterday to 1000 yards with 168gr 308 handloads and it had been a while since I shot 1000yards. I took 5 shots to sight in them went for a 5 shot group. Even though my bullets were tumbling (heard its a common problem with 168) I got 3 of the 5 on target.

Is this just luck or is it possible to get consistant results with a destabilized bullet?

I normally shoot 175 but had some 168 left I want to burn up and figured what the hell I'll go 1000 with them.

Seems you have real world data that shows 3 out of 5 hits with the 168's so yes it's possible to be consistent. I imagine if your paper target was alittle bigger you may have been able to see the other hits. At 1000 yards 1 moa is about 10" group.

Luck.

I've been in the pits at 1000 yards and seen guys hit all over a 6'x6' target frame, with the occasional dirt shower when they went into the berm before he gets pulled off of the line. You even get the occasional one that goes in straight. Yea, if your paper was bigger you'd probably have found hits, but predicting where they'd hit is rolling dice.

Get a different bullet. The 168SMK should not be used past 600 yards. (sure you can use it out to about 800 but there are far better bullets out there)

Luck.

I've been in the pits at 1000 yards and seen guys hit all over a 6'x6' target frame, with the occasional dirt shower when they went into the berm before he gets pulled off of the line. You even get the occasional one that goes in straight. Yea, if your paper was bigger you'd probably have found hits, but predicting where they'd hit is rolling dice.

Get a different bullet. The 168SMK should not be used past 600 yards. (sure you can use it out to about 800 but there are far better bullets out there)

I have different bullets. Last line of my post I say I normally shoot 175 but wanted to get rid of the 168 I have left.

Guess I will have to try it again to see if I can produce simular results.

Personally I'd call that great shooting on that box at 1000yds.

Myself, I have switched to 155's and 175's trying both to see what works best for my 20" gun. I have a lot of 168's loaded from the days before I was shooting past 300yds. I am all about experimenting and using up stuff I don't load anymore to do it with.
The beauty of your post is it shows the actual effects (picture) of the 168 phenomenon vs somebody just saying it doesn't work. When I first got on here I did not realize 168's turned to shit after 600 as I have been using them for years (but again not past 300). I read the long range sticky that told of the issue, but never saw a picture of it as proof, just took the experts word for it.

I have different bullets. Last line of my post I say I normally shoot 175 but wanted to get rid of the 168 I have left.

Guess I will have to try it again to see if I can produce simular results.

I can't believe your handle is hangingchads :D
You should redo the test. Not conclusive, just like hanging chad.

Questions about luck? If he could clone the first cartridge he shot so that he had the exact cartridge 5 times. Would all the shots have end up in the same place?

Last edited:
I shoot 168 amax's with my 308. Last shoot they were all staying within 9" at 1000. Seems about right without heavy wind factors.

I can't believe your handle is hangingchads :D
You should redo the test. Not conclusive, just like hanging chad.

Questions about luck? If he could clone the first cartridge he shot so that he had the exact cartridge 5 times. Would all the shots have end up in the same place?

Haha well my name is chad and after the election it just kind of took.

I still got 10 rounds left from that batch so I might try this again to see if I get same results... Just for the heck of it.