• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just Moved to CO, looking for ELR

Thor2j

Kriger
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2012
CO
Just moved to Colorado front range. Looking for areas to shoot at least 1000. Moved from Florida where I used to shoot out to 2000.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

North or south of Denver?

Pawnee sportsman’s center is East of Fort Collins and goes to 1000. Or you can just wander into the grasslands and set up some targets

Reactions: Jackomason
Pawnee is a good range, just a far drive from Denver,

They shut down letting you wander the grasslands that don't happen anymore and if they see you, they will run you off. It's been tightened down, they want you to use the Sportsman Center.

Too many wander the grasslands, one second you are safe, the next there is a bird watcher in your LOS.

CRC has a 1000 yards on the high-power range, not sure where membership stands, I finally let mine go this year as I never go there anymore. You have to go through a signup process that usually takes a while.

I'm in the foothills, due west of Denver, Evergreen to be exact. Can't believe so much empty space and no where to shoot out to a mile.

Go down 285 towards Jefferson, there are places there to shoot,

The places out there are not organized, You can shoot on certain land, not on others. Like you can shoot in Pike National, just not in Rocky Mountain, so you have to find locations on the right land.

Most of the ranges are spread out, so nothing really local to Denver that is far. Especially the Evergreen side

Golden Gun Club which is not in Golden is close but only 500 yards and 10-year waiting list.

CRC is 1 hour, that has 1000 yards, but from Evergreen that is closer to 1.5 hours, same with Pawnee, very up north.

Greenmill has a good .22 match but only goes to 300,

Reactions: jd138
this place is a long drive for you, but eventually you will be wondering around the west slope so keep it in mind. An awesome range. When I was there I shot out to 1000, but they told me they had targets much farther in a different section.

doesn't show it in the link, but if you click through it will take you to Cameo Shooting Range -

Down in the right corner of Jefferson where the two rivers are, like directly off 285 you can get pretty far.

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 5.09.49 PM.png

There is turn off for the reservoir, it's pretty good to shoot there just past the Continental Divide, the elevation is like 10k standing so DA is as high as 15,000ft in the summer.

He can drop down from Evergreen pretty easy by Conifer, and he is not far from Bailey and the DOW ranges down there.

Down in the right corner of Jefferson where the two rivers are, like directly off 285 you can get pretty far.

View attachment 7307718

There is turn off for the reservoir, it's pretty good to shoot there just past the Continental Divide, the elevation is like 10k standing so DA is as high as 15,000ft in the summer.

He can drop down from Evergreen pretty easy by Conifer, and he is not far from Bailey and the DOW ranges down there.
Are you referring to tarryall resevoir? I’m also a Florida transplant trying to find somewhere to shoot.

Not to just drop in and overtake but do you guys shoot alot on public land for 1 mile shooting? Up around tarryall there is alot of public and dirt roads to find a spot and big opened country lots of rocks too been working by there.

View attachment 7307718

In the early 90’s I played around in that area a lot.
Beautiful place.

Welcome to Colorado. You have to know a guy who knows a guy to get anything remotely close to the Denver area (1 hour drive), and that will be private property.

I have a spot up in the Pawnee grasslands that can get to 830y but you have to get there by sunrise and hope somebody else does not beat you, then you are down to 600 or less, and it sucks walking out targets and what not out that far - no driving of the road. Gotta be careful as a lot off it is leased out to ranchers. Had to displace several times due to cattle.

The BLM areas in the mountains that I have been to mean an uphill shot, and spooky if they are busy. Grasslands are bad enough, but the stupid seems to go to the mountain spots more.

There are some good areas to be sure, some have found them and they are closely guarded secrets since they don't want their spot taken over or trashed.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like its gonna be tough to find.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like its gonna be tough to find.
Finding spots requires some leg work and home study.
Look at public land maps along with google earth.
Note any possibility’s then investigate.
I moved away from all my sweet spots out East and had to find new ones on the west side
Took about a year and a half to get my current spots but you could do it a lot faster if you stay on it and don’t go fishin instead like did.

These spots are earned and not divulged freely for good reason.
I’ve shared one of my spots here but I don’t share my spots with permanent steel.

I'm lucky. I have a range within 20 minutes of my house (Southern Colorado) that goes out to almost 1900 yards. The only problem is I have to get there before anyone else because in order to shoot anything beyond 1k, you have to use alternate firing positions and shoot over the main firing line, so if someone wants to shoot pistols or 100 yards and they get there before you, you're kinda shit outta luck and stuck with a max of 927 until they leave.

I'm lucky. I have a range within 20 minutes of my house (Southern Colorado) that goes out to almost 1900 yards. The only problem is I have to get there before anyone else because in order to shoot anything beyond 1k, you have to use alternate firing positions and shoot over the main firing line, so if someone wants to shoot pistols or 100 yards and they get there before you, you're kinda shit outta luck and stuck with a max of 927 until they leave.
Where at in southern colorado my range is pretty similar like that besides on fridays is long range days and we have the right to kick people out that day to shoot longer.

Reactions: jasent
Where at in southern colorado my range is pretty similar like that besides on fridays is long range days and we have the right to kick people out that day to shoot longer.

We might be talking about the same place. Royal Gorge? I know we also have a long range day, but I don't remember which day it is

Just a suggestion, get to know a Rancher who may like to shoot. Offer to buy steel and set it up with the understanding, if you fuck up, it's his. Let him shoot your shit, be generous and respectful. Works for me, just shot out to 2055 with a few friends Thursday, 20 minutes from my house.